Beware of Viking's "not so free" air promo ...

YWW

A few years ago we booked a Viking "free air" cruise.  We have a lot of FF miles and I asked what the price would be without "free air" and the price was less expensive- maybe $800 per person I can't remember exactly.  I booked another cruise a few months ago with "free air" and asked the same question.  They said the price would be the same whether or not we took advantage of the "free air".  So I think it depends on what price the airline is consolidating the flights for.  Also maybe Viking's agreement with the airlines is to purchase X number of flights per month and they have to meet a specific quota.

• 2 years later...
On 1/4/2020 at 8:32 PM, herbanrenewal said:

We booked  with Viking from Budapest to Amsterdam months ago for travel September 2020. It includes free air. but we will be staying 8 days in Budapest before the cruise, and 8 days in Amsterdam afterwards. By the  time we add in the charges for flying early/late,  looking for upgraded seats so we are not stuck in the middle seats, and wanting to select trips with less connections and/or time waiting for connections, the cost for using Viking airfare and upgrading would actually be MORE than independent booking through a consolidator for business class for both flights. 

I'm not sure i would ever book a cruise with included airfare. This time the price was the same with or without the air, so it really would be free if we are willing to accept whatever they give us. But if you want any changes or personal selection regarding the flights I would strongly recommend not looking for free airfare.

Thank you so very much for your very complete and clear discussion.  We are looking at Viking Cruise on Danube and saw the "free airfare" add.  When searching further,  the ECONOMY was listed with a line crossing out the original price (about $1200 and about $600 listed).  BUT, when looking at Economy Plus it was an additional $2000 and Business was an additional $4000.  Also,  we also travel a few days before a cruise and stay a few days after.  Your info about Viking Air Plus was very helpful as we do not want to be stuck in middle seats and the upgrade costs via Viking seams to negate  any value in using Viking Air +.  

I have been looking a First Class/Business Class airfare consolidators and have not used them.  Do you have a recommendation   We fly Business/First for long trips  but have not used consolidators and want to use them in future if reputable and trustworthy.   Would appreciate your experience with them and any suggestions.