Beware! Princess Shore Excursions Policy of Waiting

Snurp

I'm still having a problem here.......why on earth did these folks leave on an excursion without any form of ID? Again, I would have skipped the shore excursion if I didn't have ID. They only allowed 15 minutes for the Purser's department to come open the safe. I, too, have miskeyed in my numbers and have had to call the Purser's desk, and, in fact, they did come in 15 minutes, but I wouldn't have left the cabin until they did come.

Then when they found out that the scanner's weren't working, they still chose to go off ship without ID or money.

Certainly Princess is at fault for allowing debarkation without a list of passengers who are leaving. Yes, they should have then stopped anyone from leaving if the system wasn't working. But I think the OP should tak a certain amount of responsibility for not having ID and money on her when going off the ship in a strange country that has periods of unrest. Princess may owe them something but not a free cruise or full refund of their expenses.

Why would you take a color copy of your passport and not the real thing?

When the wife and I leave the ship, we are equipped to get back to the States without ever seeing the ship again. Passports, two separate credit cards (one each), medical cards, trip insurance cards and bribing cash.

ccrain, I'm with on this one. We always take our passports with us, not copies. A copy of a passport or drivers license is *not* official ID. The credit card that I bring is always at least an American Express. They can do wonders in sticky situations.

I think some of you are wandering off the topic of the thread. Whether the OP is right or wrong is not really the issue. We all should feel empathy for what they went through, not criticize their experience. Above all, we should take her thread as a wake-up call and take steps to see the same doesn't happen to us. I thought DH and I were seasoned travelers but many very good step were mentioned in this thread that I for one will now follow...

DH and I will be leaving on a Mexican Riviera cruise next month. We have always taken trip insurance, have run off the coverage and have taken it with us. I hate to admit, it stays in the cabin... it will now go with us into every port. We always take our passports with us into port, have done so for the past 10 years... from now on, I won't let my DH hold my passport in a money pouch, I will have my own neck pouch with my passport. We always take the Princess Patter with us... but now, if the port agent is not mentioned in the Patter, we will go to the Purser's Office before we retire for the night and get that information. DH and I will also have a plan in each port, where to meet if separated, back on the ship or at a designated place. If on a tour, we will definitely ask another couple if they will make sure we're on the bus after each stop and board the ship at the end of the tour... and we'll offer to do the same for them.

Cruisecritic is a valuable tool, not only to share travel info, but also to offer excellent suggestions on how to stay safe. I for one would like to thank the OP for posting here! I would also like to thank those that offered such wonderful suggestions.

Sandy

I am so happy that you are now safe and sound. Thank goodness. We will be on our 22 cruise on Sunday and I will be very careful about the card swiping and only booking excursions that are early and come back HOURS before the ship leaves. Your story has me spooked. How horrible for you both. When we went on a 17 night S. America cruise on Celebrity, they made us all give them our passports upon embarking the ship and didn't give them back to us until the end of the cruise 17 nights later! This made us very uneasy. I always make copies of our Passports to have with me when I can't have the original.

The Cruise Critic board, that is the best in my opinion, is just one of MANY cruise site message boards. I was on another board for years before I started posting on this one. I met a man and his wife on a Holland America cruise. It was their 126th cruise. They were in the Penthouse on a 21 day cruise too! He never goes on the message boards.

ccrain, I'm with on this one. We always take our passports with us, not copies. A copy of a passport or drivers license is *not* official ID. The credit card that I bring is always at least an American Express. They can do wonders in sticky situations.
On some cruises / itineraries, your passport is taken upon embarkation and not returned until just before disembarkation. You don't have a choice in the matter.

What you're saying is that anyone who wanders off while on a Princess tour or loses sight of them for whatever reason is due a free cruise.

I don't know if that's what she is saying at all. There were a number of places along the way where Princess could have done a better job. Nevermind that the OP has described her behavior and it is decidedly not "wandering off."

My thought as I read this was that this could happen to any of us. Unfamiliar surroundings, trust in the tour guides, faith in the cruiseline...it could have happened to me. I don't see how the OP was completely at fault. For the life of me I can't understand why the passports are the issue. Having a passport would not have helped them find the tender.

For those who want to blame the OP and suggest that Princess owes them nothing, I pray that you are never in this sitatuation. I am 100% sure that if this happened to you we would be hearing a totally different tune.

My DH & I have been on 3 cruises all to the Carribean (he's a physician & I'm not stupid either....LOL) & guess what? We've never taken a copy of our passport or the real one. We're, also, over 40.........amazing how we have lived so far without a brain!! I just found this board and all the info I had, had up to this time touted how safe it was to be on these cruises. So....I am very grateful for all the info that has been provided. On one of our cruises, either with Princess, RCI or Holland Am. the card machine was broken & we wondered if they were keeping track of us, but didn't really think about it once we left the ship.

One time we did a crazy tour in Puerto Rico that my sister-in-law arranged, we got very, very lost and were afraid we would miss the ship. We were with a large group, so we felt more secure that we would be missed.....but it was a stupid idea. We made it before the time, with time to spare, but needless to say, we are not interested in doing excursions that are not on the cruise line, again. By the way, we didn't like Puerto Rico at all, just the horse back tour on the beach, which you could do anywhere. Not worth any money saved to be scared out of your wits.

I read atleast 5 pages of this, but got tired. I agree that Princess should reimburse the whole amount. The idea that their lives were in danger and no one knew they were gone is totally unacceptable. We have, also, been on crowded docks and it can be very confusing to know where the tenders are boarding. We also have had a broken safe in a hotel at least once. Sometimes people are so high and mighty and think that even with all their precautions nothing could ever happen to them. Pride goeth before the fall!:p I just wanted to let you know that I sympathize with you in the terrible experience. I, too, would have waited for the people to pass, but not now of course:eek: watch out we're coming through!!

I'm going to take all the precautions from now on. I would like to know where to purchase a snorkeling wallet? Also, is this worn inside a man's swim suit? I know a woman couldn't hide one, right? We have the problem of wanting to do water activities.......that's why we never brought that much with us. The snorkeling tours don't have safes or lockers and one would have to stay behind to watch the stuff......not OK when you're paying to snorkle.

We usually don't go on excursions, thru the ship or not. But on the few we have taken, I don't recall any ship's rep with us. I do recall seeing one of the guides taking a head count after people came on board during the snorkeling excursion at both sites. I do recall the bus driver taking a head count when picking us up at the sea park (we were told to return by 2:30 and most people came back at least ten minutes before that so they wouldn't hold the rest up waiting for last minute arrivals). There was only ten of us on our last tour so that was pretty easy for the guide.

Swiping your card as you leave the ship is not foolproof either. This past December while aboard the Island Princess we got off the ship and did swipe our cards. Upon return to the ship. we swiped our cards again and my wifes went ding but mine went "BLAAAAAAST Reentry".

Scared he heck out of me and being curious I awaited a full explanation of why this happened. I was told the computer did not register that I was off the ship and so upon return it thought I had tried to reenter without leaving.

Yes, take the precaution to scan your card but you cannot rely on it to always register.

Stan

I was held up at the boarding area "level one security check" in Coz last week. The local cop demanded ID. My photocopy was not acceptable to him and didn't have my drivers license. The ships security pushed me through so it is not just S America. Lesson - have your documents period.

I was held up at the boarding area "level one security check" in Coz last week. The local cop demanded ID. My photocopy was not acceptable to him and didn't have my drivers license. The ships security pushed me through so it is not just S America. Lesson - have your documents period.

If I remember correctly, Coz is one place where you are instructed to bring your ID. It is in the patters.

There are a couple of ports which require picture ID's along with the cruise ship card. I always carry my driver's license and two credit cards while leaving the rest of my credit cards onboard ship. I also have some cash on-hand, for small purchases along as an emergency fund.

I'm going to take all the precautions from now on. I would like to know where to purchase a snorkeling wallet? Also, is this worn inside a man's swim suit? I know a woman couldn't hide one, right? We have the problem of wanting to do water activities.......that's why we never brought that much with us. The snorkeling tours don't have safes or lockers and one would have to stay behind to watch the stuff......not OK when you're paying to snorkle.

There are many different varieties costing a little to a lot. We bought ours from Magellan's. They are essentially waterproof ziplock bags inside a nylon carrying case that straps around your waist or your neck. They come in many sizes. We have SCUBAed and snorkeled with them. Once you get the nack of the seal, they're pretty handy.

We always take passports ashore and keep them secure on our body. If you get into trouble, having it safely tucked away inside the cabin safe, is dumb and is not going to help you at all.

OP's experiences prove this. With a passport, credit card and cab fare, they would have been on their way to the next port as soon as they could get a air flight reservation. A photo of your passport will only help you get another passport......from who knows where and who knows when.

No passport, no flight, wothout all the hassle snurf went through.......;)

On some cruises / itineraries, your passport is taken upon embarkation and not returned until just before disembarkation. You don't have a choice in the matter.

This has never been the case in my 15+ cruises for me, a US citizen with a US Passport, leaving from US ports. I don't have any other experiences with non-US ports. What ports have you sailed from where they took your passport at embarkation? What cruise line was it? I'm very curious and would like to be prepared for this situation.

Thanks.

I read your email and was horrified; if you saw this scenario in a movie you would say it was too far fetched. I learned a valuable lesson - never leave a ship without scanning your card - NO MATTER WHAT. If I were you I'd contact an attorney - sounds like you have a case against Princess. Good luck and I'm sorry you had to experience that.

Maryjo

This has never been the case in my 15+ cruises for me, a US citizen with a US Passport, leaving from US ports. I don't have any other experiences with non-US ports. What ports have you sailed from where they took your passport at embarkation? What cruise line was it? I'm very curious and would like to be prepared for this situation.

Thanks.

This happened to us in San Diego when we sailed Celebrity Mercury thru the Panama Canal. As I recall they gave it back when we arrived in St Thomas.

This was a very informative thread... definitely an eye opener!

OP, please don't give up on informing Princess & having them make this right for you. And let us know how this turns out.

I've learned so much, as I am not as seasoned a traveler as many of you. Thank you to THOSE of you who provided very valuable information... swiping/being accounted for, ship emergency #, insurance #, port authority info, emergency cash, credit card, driver's license, passport (original vs copy), money belt, waterproof container, embassy & airport location...did I miss anything?

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to post here in order for the rest of us to know what to do to make travel safer and easier in the event of some unforseen event like missing the ship. We are living in a different world than the one before 9/11. After reading this thread, we will: 1. Take more cash 2. Take photo identification 3. Make sure we stay with a group.

If any of you would like to read about other events at sea, the following site has past and current infor about things that have happened. The situation posted on this board should be reported to this site as well.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

Archived