Shore tours in Varna, Odessa, Constanta, Istanbul, Corfu?

Sailing on HAL in eastern Med in May. We're wondering whether it's worth booking shore excursions in Varna, Odessa, Constanta, Istanbul, and Corfu? If anyone has advice or experience, we'd sure appreciate some direction! We're good walkers but want to optimize our experience in these ports.

Hi barnaby,

Sounds like you're on a Rotterdam sailing, we will be on the Venice-Athens sailing on the 14th. Just starting to think about port plans, here's my take so far:

I should say we don't have much experience cruising and none with HAL or in the Med. We had a great time on Celebrity's Constellation in the Baltic last May, though.

It is likely we'll forego shore excursions in Odessa, Varna and Constanta, I'm thinking of spending time in these cities and perhaps hiring a taxi for a part of the day if we decide to visit some of the scenic spots outside of the towns.

Our cruise is in Istanbul on a Sunday and the Grand Bazaar will be closed. Currently I'm thinking of touring on our own. The Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace are in close proximity and I think they are all open for touring on Sundays. We may wander that area in the morning then purchase a city bus tour locally in the afternoon.

There have been some very enthusiastic recommendations on these boards for private guides in both Ephesus and Istanbul and I haven't ruled that out, either.

Thinking about renting a car for the day in Corfu and taking a spin round the island.

I've been to two of the ports that you will be stopping at Corfu and Istanbul and Corfu I visited a few months back on a cruise. My wife and I are big walkers as well. When we were in Corfu we walked from the Ship about a mile or mile and 1/2 where there were a variety of shops to look at. We also then walked another few miles along the water. Other than that there is really nothing more you can see without taking a tour or other transporation. We were on a cruise for 24 days and just wanted to take it easy in Corfu. If you really want to see the area, then you might want to book an excursion. Otherwise, you can just walk around like we did.

Istanbul you really can either do on your own or through an excursion. The advantage of an excursion is that you will have a tour guide who will provide a good deal of knowlege on what you will see. I would probably book a tour there as there is much to see in Istanbul and I would want to maximize the experience and think the knowledge of someone giving the tour is important given the limited time you will have there. We did see the Blue Mosque and then we went to another area where we went underground (can't remember the name of the area) to see an area where people used to go to get out of the heat. When you finish your tour, if you have time it probably would be intersting to walk to see Grand Bazaar and walk around there for an hour or two.

Keith

So grateful for your comments. We may do the same thing, especially in Varna and perhaps Istanbul. We're on the alternate route, sailing out of Athens on May 2 and ending in Venice. We'll try to leave the ship in good shape for you!

Hi barnaby,

Sounds like you're on a Rotterdam sailing, we will be on the Venice-Athens sailing on the 14th. Just starting to think about port plans, here's my take so far:

I should say we don't have much experience cruising and none with HAL or in the Med. We had a great time on Celebrity's Constellation in the Baltic last May, though.

It is likely we'll forego shore excursions in Odessa, Varna and Constanta, I'm thinking of spending time in these cities and perhaps hiring a taxi for a part of the day if we decide to visit some of the scenic spots outside of the towns.

Our cruise is in Istanbul on a Sunday and the Grand Bazaar will be closed. Currently I'm thinking of touring on our own. The Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace are in close proximity and I think they are all open for touring on Sundays. We may wander that area in the morning then purchase a city bus tour locally in the afternoon.

There have been some very enthusiastic recommendations on these boards for private guides in both Ephesus and Istanbul and I haven't ruled that out, either.

Thinking about renting a car for the day in Corfu and taking a spin round the island.

Thanks for telling us about your experiences in Corfu and Istanbul. Had thought Corfu might be more "walkable and seeable" on our own, but perhaps not. In Istanbul, I think we'll do a combination of a short excursion and the rest of the day wandering on our own. It sounds really interesting, but I'm sorry to hear the Grand Bazaar will be closed on the Sunday. Oh well, there will be lots else to see. Thanks again.

I've been to two of the ports that you will be stopping at Corfu and Istanbul and Corfu I visited a few months back on a cruise. My wife and I are big walkers as well. When we were in Corfu we walked from the Ship about a mile or mile and 1/2 where there were a variety of shops to look at. We also then walked another few miles along the water. Other than that there is really nothing more you can see without taking a tour or other transporation. We were on a cruise for 24 days and just wanted to take it easy in Corfu. If you really want to see the area, then you might want to book an excursion. Otherwise, you can just walk around like we did.

Istanbul you really can either do on your own or through an excursion. The advantage of an excursion is that you will have a tour guide who will provide a good deal of knowlege on what you will see. I would probably book a tour there as there is much to see in Istanbul and I would want to maximize the experience and think the knowledge of someone giving the tour is important given the limited time you will have there. We did see the Blue Mosque and then we went to another area where we went underground (can't remember the name of the area) to see an area where people used to go to get out of the heat. When you finish your tour, if you have time it probably would be intersting to walk to see Grand Bazaar and walk around there for an hour or two.

Keith

• 1 month later...
Sailing on HAL in eastern Med in May. We're wondering whether it's worth booking shore excursions in Varna, Odessa, Constanta, Istanbul, and Corfu? If anyone has advice or experience, we'd sure appreciate some direction! We're good walkers but want to optimize our experience in these ports.

Hi, I hope this is the correct way to answer you. I had e-mailed you before but hadn't heard back and maybe I did not do it correctly. We have been to Istanbul and I would highly recommend a tour guide. We were there off a Greek Island cruise and used a private guide who was recommended by a friend who had used them. I have since sent more people to them and everyone was happy. We are using them again and if you would like their name let me know. You will see more with them than on the tour. I am looking for a couple to share a taxi in Corfu. I found a name on this site and wrote to him. He answered and told me the fare is 35Euros per hr, min. 3 hrs. he has mercedes cars, insured and licensed. no meals or entry fees are included. the tours from the ship are never all inclusive, I read them and feel that they probably could do more in time allotted but wouldn['t make as much money. Of course, we do not have much experience cruising. will look for your response

flagranny

I would also like to find a guide in Odessa, have not been there before.

flagranny

Archived