Help for First Timer! Which Ship?? and other ?'s

JWMom

I am loving this website! I'm planning our first cruise the week of March 18th-tentatively have a reservation (that has to be confirmed TODAY!) on the Navigator-can anyone reassure me that I'm making the right choice and it's a great ship! I've read some reviews but would love to hear from someone fresh off the boat! I've also looked at Jewel (DH thinks 7 days might too long) or Enchantment....any thoughts? We have two boys 9 and 12 and I've booked one balcony with an inside across the hall. Also, what is the charge for video games in the arcade? (that's the one thing that irks me is all the extra charges-especially for Cokes and video games)-Thanks in advance for any help-I've learned so much from these posts!!

I've never been on the Navigator but I know its one of RCCL Voyager Class ships which you just can't go wrong on. Enchantment is a bit older I believe and I have friends that have been on the Jewel and really loved it. I would probably make my decision based on price and itinerary. Good luck!

I loved the Navigator! It has something for everyone. You will love the promenade deck! Stop in at the promenade cafe and have a nice sandwich and dessert with a cup of coffee for me would you? ;)

You and the children will LOVE Johnny Rockets! Don't forget to do the Rock Wall and be sure to get pics!

I was on the second floor for dining right next to the balcony looking down at the captains table so if you are in that area and see the waiter Harish and assistant waiter Andrus tell them the family from Lithuania says hi! (or the family who had no luggage!) Andrus is from there and my family originally is from there. Harish is from India and his wife was ready to have a baby when we were there! Anyway (sigh) enough of reminiscing(sp?) You will love the Navigator. I loved the Grandeur for different reasons but for family definately the Navigator. Sorry I have no constructive info for you as far as video prices go. Just set a limit on your childrens seapass cards. I don't know if you can do it at the arcade or not. I know someone will have that answer.

If this is your first cruise, it really doesn't matter which ship, since you have nothing to compare it to! All I can tell you is when you get on the ship, (whichever one it is) you will be so excited and overcome that you may actually feel high! Cruising is the BEST vaction and 7 days is NEVER too long. Have a great trip! I know you will.

We are leaving on our 2nd cruise March 12th aboard the Mariner. Our 5 children will be attending this cruise along with us . . . And can I say we’re not sure how to contain their excitement for the next 6 weeks. I’m having enough trouble containing my own! Thank you for all the great info obtained from this site!

Norwegian Sun, Nov. 05

I am loving this website! I'm planning our first cruise the week of March 18th-tentatively have a reservation (that has to be confirmed TODAY!) on the Navigator-can anyone reassure me that I'm making the right choice and it's a great ship! I've read some reviews but would love to hear from someone fresh off the boat! I've also looked at Jewel (DH thinks 7 days might too long) or Enchantment....any thoughts? We have two boys 9 and 12 and I've booked one balcony with an inside across the hall. Also, what is the charge for video games in the arcade? (that's the one thing that irks me is all the extra charges-especially for Cokes and video games)-Thanks in advance for any help-I've learned so much from these posts!!

I have cruised a few times on RCL and I just have to say I have been Impressed each time. I did cruise Carnival once and what a nightmare and never again!!!

Food is always great. Everyone employed on the ship takes that extra mile to make everyone feel special. Gratuities are at your discrection, which is very nice. Most other ships its an automatic charge on your bill with no exceptions. There is a lot to do for your kids, make sure they join the kids program. They will be busy all the time, meeting other kids there age, my kids had a blast. I believe that you will have to buy a all you can drink soda card, but if your kids drink alot its worth the extra buck. My only advise depending on what cruise you are taking. Look into booking your excursion before you set sail. We went on the Alaskan cruise and it booked though another company, we saved over $250.00 booking direct. Get recommendations from this site for excursions you are interested in. Anyway, have a great time and enjoy your cruise.

you and your family will have a great time on this ship, especailly since it's your first cruise. This ship is a WOW factor for sure. Your children will be hooked on cruising once you all go. DH and I have cruised many years and now we ahve toddlers, and I cannot wait until they are a little older so we can start going as a family, bec/I know they are going to be hooked on the cruising experience as well. HAVE FUN! :)

I would probably make my decision based on price and itinerary. Good luck!
We always choose ships that sail from Port Canaveral (Jacksonville, or Savannah, though they don't have as many options) because we are close enough to drive to the port, and that saves a good bit of money. We can be in Port Canaveral in about 7 hours, which is worthwhile to save 4 plane fares.

Embarkation port is something to consider.

My husband and I went on the Explorer last year and we are doing the Voyager this spring. You will have a fabulous time! 7 days, too long? Never!! It will go by so fast you won't even realize. There is soooooo much to do that at times you may feel overwhelmed. Your boys are at just the right age for the kids programs. You probably won't see them much;) . We went on the Granduer 5 years ago, a smaller ship and had just as much fun. It was smaller, less people so there were less activities, which made it less overwhelming. No matter which ship you choose or your itinerary you will have way too much fun!!!!

Have a great trip!

Of the three ships you mentioned I have sailed the Enchantment and the Navigator and they are both fantastic ships. The arcade runs $1.00 to $2.00 per game generally. Some machines may be more, some less. Unless your kids drink gobs of soda I would skip the card and encourage them to consume the free lemonade, iced tea, chocolate milk, or juices that may be available in the dining areas. Continue to ask many questions about the cruise and you will be fully prepared before you sail. Have a great time.

Archived