AVOID Houston Hotel - Comfort Inn East, Clayton Parkway

marci4tony

Our experience with the facility in Humble, Texas, was one of the worst I have ever had. Ever. 

My mother in law booked (2) rooms at this facility, off of a search engine.  There were 3 people in each room, and therefore, two beds in each room was requested.  One of these rooms was for (3) Senior Citizens.  This reservation was made through Agoda/booking.com.  The rooms were guaranteed and paid for in September 2019. 

We are from Idaho, and are a long way from home.  We booked one of your properties because we all had positive stays with Choice. The proximity to the Airport was also a selling point, as we needed somewhere close after a great cruise. 

Upon arrival, we were informed that there was a construction issue, and that there were no double bed rooms on the ground floor and that the elevators did not work.  This probably wouldn’t have been a huge issue, except there were (3) Senior Citizens in one of these rooms (that were again, PAID for, two months in advance) and my 87 year old mother in law is in a wheelchair.  Our options were – to cancel, have the refund her, and for us to go elsewhere, or for them to be put in a room with a king bed and a pull out couch. Not ideal for a Senior Citizen by the way... 

Do the words ADA compliant strike anyone?  This hotel is NOT ADA compliant.  That should be a serious concern to you at this point.  UNACCEPTABLE.  As they got into their room, there was no bedding, and one of the ladies had to go to the housekeeping area and gather their own bedding.  UNACCEPTABLE. 

The second room, with two beds, was up on the third floor.  None of that group was wheelchair bound – but we had very heavy luggage - (2) suitcases of almost 50# each.  But we were tired, and just wanted to take a hot shower and go to bed.  So we conceded. 

At check in, on the front desk, was a note, stating to use the west or east stairwells, due to the elevator being out of service.  So, I went to the stairwell on the left, and lugged some of the heavy baggage up to floor three.  I understand there was a construction accident, but what I came across was totally unacceptable!  Drywall, insulation and carpet was torn up everywhere, wet/musty/ moldy odor, several cords draped across the hall – SUBSTANTIAL TRIPPING HAZARD.  This is acceptable to put your customers in a room in area like this? UNACCEPTABLE.  There was construction plastic tacked up at the end of the hall, and our room, was beyond this plastic. Now what? 

I turned around, with all my heavy luggage, and went back down the hall, across all the electrical cords and insulation and drywall hanging down everywhere, and then back down the stairs to the front desk.  As I asked the inconsiderate front desk clerk where our room was, she said, and I quote “oops, my bad” - Unacceptable.  Her lack of communication, empathy and direction is UNACCEPTABLE.  Are you catching the theme here?  

So, as the room, on the ground floor with the Senior Citizens is getting settled, we haul all our luggage up to the third floor, again, on the other stairwell.  We get to our room, and thankfully, it was a fairly nice room – but the stench in the hallway was bad.  The walls inside the room are scuffed up, sheetrock was moldy around the tub, and there was a beer bottle, sprite cap and misc papers under one of the beds.  It does appear there has been a remodel, but based on the plastic outside our door, it is not finished nor is the room cleaned very well.   

As we get settled, my husband tries to take a bath, but alas – there is NO HOT WATER.  UNACCEPTABLE.   Tepid at best.  We let the water run for over 10 minutes.  NONE.  My husband calls down to the front desk, and informed them there is no hot water.  They told him – that is the normal temperature, and they have never had any complaints.  Must have been that same front desk clerk... 

I went to the other room – they had no hot water either.  We went to the front desk in the lobby and was super thankful to talk to a new person.   She told us that the maintenance man just left and would not be back until Monday.  We told her there was no way to bathe in the tepid water. She said she’d make some phone calls.  We were offered two other rooms thinking that perhaps because the room was so close to construction, that may be the issue.  Both other rooms offered also had no hot water. 

The hotel manager was called and I am assuming he came in and re-lit the pilot light or flipped the breaker – after a couple hours the water started getting hot.  But it was too late for us – we had a 6am flight and had to be at IAH at 4am.   

We were thankful for the shuttle, and had no issues checking out.  However, when my Mother in law tried to catch the shuttle mid morning, they would not assist her in loading her 50# suitcase into the shuttle.  She was in a wheel chair for hells sake!  UNACCEPTABLE. 

This was a disastrous stay, and this review has been cross-posted.  If your property is under construction, it should be closed.  I do not think it is appropriate to subject your reputation to unacceptable conditions. 

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg