Nieuw Amsterdam v Nieuw Statendam

MickeyG

My wife and I have not cruised on any of the HAL ships. We are about ready to book a holiday trip for this year.

My question is...all things being equal with the exception of cabin selection, should we do an inside cabin on the Nieuw Statendam or a balcony on the Nieuw Amsterdam? The cost is roughly the same for the inside and balcony.

The Nieuw Staendam is a relatively new ship, and the the Nieuw Amsterdam was recently refurbished in 2018. 

My thinking is since there is limited daylight hours to enjoy the balcony, perhaps the inside cabin on the newer ship is the way to go. But I would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions from folks who have cruised on either or both ships. 

Thanks so much!

Mick 

It depends on the itinerary. If it's the Caribbean with the usual ports, then I would vote for the inside on the newer ship. If it's somewhere you haven't been before, maybe the balcony would be the way to go. But both NA and NS should be very nice ships.

• Thanks 1