Let's Do Another: What Are You Reading?

tuggers

I am reading something real heavy for a book club: From Jesus to Christianity.

For pleasure I have just found Cathy Pickens. Only trouble is, she's southern and talks about sweet tea and creamed corn, biscuits, etc. I always get hungry! Fast read, just fun. I also went to the Book Warehouse the other day (all books are at least 6 months old but hardbacks are $3.99 to $5.99) and got Kinky Friedman's Mile High Club (he's very funny) and Tom Cockney who writes about a man and his aunt who own a funeral home. Also light hearted.

So what's everyone else found new?

I've got S is for Silence coming.

What a wonderful book.:)

I read the entire thing on my last flight to Ft. Lauderdale...except for the last two chapters which I felt I had to read in private.;)

Although Marley is labeled the 'Worlds worse dog' I have three basset hounds that are very close contenders. MacArthur, Lindbergh, and Flash. :D

We just recently lost our beloved 'Amelia' suddenly to kidney failure. She was only 6 1/2. :(

Dave:eek:

P.S. For the Life of your Dog by Greg Louganis is also a great read. I'm a little biassed since Greg is 'Lindberghs' God Father.

Am working my way through the "First Ladies Detective Agency" series. Current volume: Kalahari Mens' Typing School.

Just a warning -- don't look like an idiot trying to find these in the bookstore. Evidently the last name of "Alexander McCall Smith" is, in a strangely unhypenated fashion so as to avoid giving ANYONE a CLUE, "McCall Smith", and the books are all stocked under "M", not "S"! Who'da guessed???

I have been plowing my way though my DH's collection of nineteenth century British explorer Sir Richard Burton's travel books ever since we started cruising. I need big chunks of time to devote to these meticulously detailed accounts, and a cruise is about the only place I get that. Since he wrote over 20 books, I still have a ways to go! The current one I'm reading is The City of the Saints.

Here's a little-known great read, and a whole lot lighter: Mark Twain's Innocents Abroad. Talk about misadventures! It's a real hoot, cover-to-cover with his wry humor.

I am waiting to receive What Time Is The Midnight Buffet by our own Chesterh. Taking it on my next cruise at the end of February

Cheers,

Good timing, as our cruise is next month, Tuggers:)

I recently started reading books by Kyle Mills. Typically, when I find an author I like, I read from his earliest on. Interesting to see his development, plus it is easier to follow as one becomes accustomed to the author's style, characters, etc. Am now on his fourth, and hope to take a couple with me to Hawaii.

As always, though, no book thread is complete without a strong recommendation for anything by Carl Hiassen.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

I just bought ELISE WIESEL (Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize)

and was saving it for our cruise at the end of the month.

I am now wondering if it is too depressing of a topic to take on vacation. Has anyone read it yet? Should I just read it now and take something fun to read?

:confused:

my DH complains that I take half a suitcase to pack my books. I read 3-4 on the flight over, and 2-3 on sea days. I would love a new Jean Auel book for my next cruise - but not sure when it will be out - the next in the Eragon series would be nice.

Still working on Jane Austen Book Club from my last cruise.

Maybe now is the time to work on The Seven Mountains of Thomas Merton.

If you see a lady at the Cova Cafe - with champagne cocktail in 1 hand - and a book in the other - sometimes gazing out the windows - that will be me.

Hiassen.................ditto. How can you not love a writer who has a drug seeking character prowl nursing homes removing Fentanyl patches from sleeping patients.

I just started the Harry Potter series.....again.

atb.....................by the Eragon series, the author is Paolini? I too am waiting for number three. You may enjoy the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. All three are out now.

I just finished Chesterh's "What Time is the Midnight Buffet" and it was great. I recommend it to anyone who loves cruising.;)

I'm now reading Lisa Gardner's "The Next Accident."

Garry

I am reading something real heavy for a book club: From Jesus to Christianity.

For pleasure I have just found Cathy Pickens. Only trouble is, she's southern and talks about sweet tea and creamed corn, biscuits, etc. I always get hungry! Fast read, just fun. I also went to the Book Warehouse the other day (all books are at least 6 months old but hardbacks are $3.99 to $5.99) and got Kinky Friedman's Mile High Club (he's very funny) and Tom Cockney who writes about a man and his aunt who own a funeral home. Also light hearted.

So what's everyone else found new?

I've got S is for Silence coming.

I just finished reading Robert O'Harrow, jrs book "NO PLACE TO HIDE" Its a must read for those of us who still value there privacy..

Just bought" Night"by Elie Wiesel. Two weeks from now we are flying to Hawaii. We fly direct to Honolulu and that is a long flight from the east coast. This book I know I can finish before the plane lands. Pat

I just finished Chesterh's "What Time is the Midnight Buffet" and it was great. I recommend it to anyone who loves cruising.;)

I just recieved this as a gift from a dear friend and finished it on a plane ride home this past weekend. Now I'm working on LIttle Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner. Good mindless type of reading. Need to stock up on some good ones though, I've got a 10 hour flight and serious beach time this month, so that will be good for at least 4 books for me! (Rodpat - we'll be in Maui in two weeks, also flying from the east coast!)

Keep the list of readings coming, I'll be using it for my shopping list this weekend!

As always, though, no book thread is complete without a strong recommendation for anything by Carl Hiassen.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

Since it's been a while since Carl Hiaasen has issued a novel, so I recently read his two Young Adult books, "Flush" and "Hoot". They're both a good read, even for adults.

Allen

I have been plowing my way though my DH's collection of nineteenth century British explorer Sir Richard Burton's travel books ever since we started cruising.

Poetic License, John Dunning has a book called "The Bookman's Promise" which is centered around Richard Burton and the rarity of some of his books. It's also a mystery, which makes it a little unusual. The protagonist is a former Denver detective who has been kicked off the force and is now the owner of a bookstore dealing with rare and first editions.

The back-cover blurb states:

Denver cop-turned-bookseller Cliff Janeway has just paid a hefty sum to acquire a real gem: a signed first edition by famed ninetheenth-century explorer Sir Richard Francis Burton. But does he truly own the rare book? An elderly woman claims her grandfather traveled the American South with Burton just before the Civil War, and not only is Janeway's prized volume rightfully hers, but so is a missing library of Burton material, including an unpublished journal of inestimable worth. When she implores Janeway to recover her grandfather's collection, he sets out on a seemingly-impossible search, retracing Burton's travels through the history-rich cities of Baltimore and Charleston--- a search soon cast in a suspicious light and fraught with more questions than answers. When a friend's life is placed in deadly jeopardy, and violence forces them to make a perilous choice, Janeway realizes there is more to Burton's diary than its value as an antique. Someone is willing to kill to keep the shocking secrets of the past--- and Janeway is next in the line of fire.

Allen

Archived