Let's Do Another: What Are You Reading?

tuggers

Hi Gail. Read Jonathan Kirch's GOD AGAINST THE GODS, David McCullough's 1776, and Hong Kong ( $.25 PB from the Library) while on the Constellation.

I had just finshed DEVILS ON THE DEEP BLUE SEA before we left for San Juan.

Action Adventure readers who like John Grisham would like Vince Flynn or James Huston. Both are best read from oldest book to newest book. The book to start with for Vince Flynn is Term Limits and for Huston it's Balance of Power. Both are full of action and very close to what's going on in the world of politics and terrorism today.

Someone earlier recommended a Dunning book. The one listed was the first of his books I read and led me to buy all of his books at Half.com. Dunning's writings are very entertaining if not a little unusual.

Someone earlier recommended a Dunning book. The one listed was the first of his books I read and led me to buy all of his books at Half.com. Dunning's writings are very entertaining if not a little unusual.

That was probably me. His newest one is called "The Bookwoman's Last Fling" and is schduled to come out on May 9.

Allen

Hi

I wholeheartedly recommend all of Jodi Picoult's books - all of them have some true soul-searching 'moral of the story' themes. Very interesting reading.

And if anyone wants another interesting read.....A Thousand Little Pieces and My Friend Leonard by James Frey. The second - IMO - was better than the first - but you kinda gotta read the 1st first.:)

Currently I'm re-reading The DaVinci Code (since the movie comes out this summer)

I just got finished reading The Calhoun's series by Nora Roberts......

I have Nicholas Sparks' new book ready to start reading as well as a few LuAnn Rice books and a few Debbie Macomber books.

I like to read just about anything honestly.

Bulldogmom: Your reading list looks so much like my own--have you read any books by Richard Paul Evans? He wrote the Christmas Box series but his more recent ones are also great----The Perfect Day and The Sunflower are keepers!

Another one of my favorites is James Michael Pratt.

I am always looking for good authors and new stuff to read...hope you don't mind the suggestions!!! Happy reading!!:p

Hi virgenia,

thank you for recomend Connely, have never heard of, but will try to find some here in germany.

greetings

Michael

You shouldn't have any problem. I have copies of his books in German, Italian, and even Estonian.

On Santorini in the Greek Isles, last summer, I was in a bookstore looking for Greek copies of some of my favorite authors, and found a Michael Connelly book in German. When I tried to buy it, the proprietor, who spoke very little English kept trying to discourage me from buying it because it was in German, and he apparently thought that I thought it was English. I'm not sure I ever did convince him that I knew what I was buying. My oldest son is a big Michael Connelly fan, too, and I gave the book to him as one of his Christmas presents.

Allen

All done with the "#1 Ladies' Detective Agency" series. Was glad to see Mma Ramotswe and Rra Matekoni finally pull it together, even if it did take the galactic overlord of the orphanage to make it happen. This entire series is very light but very pleasant reading.

Next stop: "Symmetry and the Beautiful Universe" by Lederman and Hill. Investigates the question of whether the universe started with the concept of symmetry in physics or whether it was a byproduct.

Sufficiently eclectic?

Next stop: "Symmetry and the Beautiful Universe" by Lederman and Hill. Investigates the question of whether the universe started with the concept of symmetry in physics or whether it was a byproduct.

?

You'll love it! I read the Classics Comic Book version of it and was enthralled!

Allen

Has anyone re-read a book recently that they originally read many years ago, and had a completely different reaction to it?
Moonfleet. I loved it in Grade Nine. Last year I was appalled by the cruelty. I think I was really naive in Grade Nine. I only remembered the 'love' story.:D

Has anyone re-read a book recently that they originally read many years ago, and had a completely different reaction to it?

When I was in ninth-grade we were forced to read Charles Dickens' "Great Expectations" and I absolutely thought it was the most boring book ever written. Years later, I was required to teach "Great Expectations" to 9th graders, and thought it was a really, really good book, and looked forward to re-reading it each year I taught it. Others that I had hated and later loved were Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet", "The Merchant of Venice", "Hamlet" and "Julius Caesar".

Allen

I spent about 13 years managing large bookstores, and there is defnitely a seasonal influence on book releases.

A lot of nonfiction is geared towards the Christmas gift market, as is quite a bit of fiction, particularly by some of the major authors. Late spring is another peak for fiction, because they're trying to take advantage of the fact that more fiction is read in the summertime because of vacations. That's the only time when a lot of people read. Also, certain types of non-fiction are geared towards things like the elections, or the after-Christmas diet market, and the spring gardening and DIY projects. Sports books are often released right before the beginning of each sport's season. Cookbooks are especially aimed at buyers who will use them from Thanksgiving through the New Year. More people cook more elaborately during the winter than at any other time of the year. They also make good gifts, particularly regional ones.

Allen

And don't forget the great summer season when lots of mind candy books come out!

I belong to the Mystery Guild because I like hardbacks but theirs are just a little smaller and lighter in size which makes them easier to read and pack. Does anyone else belong? (I have to admit, I join, take all the free books, buy 8 or 10 others and cancel. Then a year or so later I do it again!)

And don't forget the great summer season when lots of mind candy books come out!

I belong to the Mystery Guild because I like hardbacks but theirs are just a little smaller and lighter in size which makes them easier to read and pack. Does anyone else belong? (I have to admit, I join, take all the free books, buy 8 or 10 others and cancel. Then a year or so later I do it again!)

I belong to the Mystery Guild. They have good prices, even when you factor in shipping costs. Gail already know this since she's the one who told me about it!:)

Terri

I looked at the zooba but I like to have a little more control over what and when I buy, plus all the books are not hardback. Glad it works for you though. Any way we can get books in our hands and reading is great to me!

So Terri, did you sign up under me so we both get free books?:)

Right now I'm enjoying 'Devil in the White City' by Erik Larson.

During my last cruise I read a few of the Anna Pigeon mystery books by Nevada Barre, as recommended by another Cruise Critic reader. They were perfect for cuise reading!

Just finished Alone by Lisa Gardner - great read!

One third through "The Book Club" by Mary Alice Monroe. It's a few years old and not my usual mystery/thriller but shaping up to be a great book.

Archived