Best way to port from LAX?

aadaneboy

My wife and I are taking SP on 2/11 out of LAX. We did not purchase transfers from the airport to the port. Does anyone have any suggestions for the most economical way to get there? And is it better to fly into LAX,LGB(Long Beach), or SNA(Orange County)?

Thanks for your assistance.

Long Beach if you can! The airport is very small, only 45 or so flights daily, so it's really easy to navigate and to get in & out of. I've been known to arrive 45 minutes before my flight (carryon luggage only), get through security in 3 minutes and still have time to use the facilities, buy some food to eat & not be out of breath (I don't recommend it, but I was running late that day). It's only about 5 miles closer to the port than LAX is, but the traffic usually isn't as awful on the stretch of the 405 that you take to get there.

One thing to note is that you either have to climb stairs or take a ramp up to the plane because there are no jetways, so you don't wan't really heavy carry-on pieces, and if you have mobility issues you may have a challenge (although they may have a lift - we always fly early in the morning & I'm too groggy to notice these things).

As soon as you depart baggage claim, you can cross the street & grab a cab to the port. I think the flat fare is just under $30 for the ride, whether one or more passengers. Prices are posted.

There are also shuttle vans, Prime Time Shuttle and Super Shuttle, that can take you. If you google them you can get their websites & price information.

Or you could take a private car service. We use Sky Limo (it's actually a Lincoln towncar or similar vehicle) to take us to LAX, but I don't know the price from Long Beach to the port. 1-800-359-1800.

Long Beach is a lot more convenient but the airline schedules are somewhat limited and it's usually a lot more expensive to fly into. Orange county (SNA) is further south and while much busier than Long Beach, it's also more expensive to fly into and it'll cost you a lot more to get from SNA to the port.

When I fly to Southern CA, I usually fly into SNA but for cruises, I fly into LAX because I have a much wider choice of airlines and flights and it's also usually a lot less expensive.

Super Shuttle and Prime Time Shuttle are the two main shuttle services from LAX to the port. You can either pre-reserve or once you have your luggage, walk out from baggage claim to the "shared van" island (I believe it's the 2nd or 3rd island) and check in with the shuttle dispatcher.

Thank you both for your wisdom and expertise. Luckily enough for us, we work for American Airlines, so the cost of an airline ticket isn't an issue. However I just noticed that our service from DFW to LGB is very limited now (I've heard we are pulling out all together this spring ) and the flights arrive too late to make the cruise.

Looks like we are going to fly into LAX with the number of flights and accessiblilty of van service to the port.

Can't wait to get on this cruise.

Thanks again.

Archived