Oceania v. Celebrity

KevBew

We are considering jumping from X and have heard a lot about Oceania. I love the M class ships and have enjoyed all but one of them. I recently tried RCCL and found their product to fall well below X. I was wondering how many of you are current or former X groupies and how do you compare; food, service, ships, etc. between Oceania and Celebrity. I am trying to do as much homework as possible but I would appreciate honest opinions from those of you that have experienced both. Thanks!

We were on Oceania Insignia in the Fall of 05. We loved everthing about it! We sailed on Celebrity to Alsska last August. The service was great, the cabins and help very nice but the food was just okay. We do not like large ships and except for the entertainment on the Celebrity, Oceania is 1,000 times better!

To KevBew,

We have taken two X cruises -- both to South America. We have also been on five RCCL cruises. X is better than RCCL -- we only go on RCCL when we take the kids.

We have now sailed on Regatta, Insignia and will sail on the Nautica in March. We love the size of the Oceania fleet - 674 passengers and dining in any of the dining rooms with whomever you wish and whenever you wish. NO FORMAL nights either. County Club casual -- no jeans in the dining room. Oceania is port intensive and by the time the entertainment goes on, most people are finishing dinner and going to bed so they can get up early to sightsee. If you like big glitzy reviews, this is not the line for you. But, if you like good food, it is. I know that the Celebrity cruise we were on in February 2004 didn't serve the quality of food that our earlier Celebrity cruise did. They are under the RCI umbrella and I think the food sources have changed to make a bigger profit. We got friendly with the Asst. Manager in our area, and if I didn't like my meal, it was changed pronto.

Sheila

We are borderline foodies and we have noticed a decline in X over the years. We consider destination and food to be the deciding factor for our next cruise and so far it sounds like Oceania may fit our requirements. Keep those comments coming in, I enjoy the different opinions. Thanks!

We just returned from our annual Caribbeam cruise aboard Celebrity Constellation and loved it. That being said (we've done 10 cruises on Celebrity) we've also cruised twice on Oceania (as well as a dozen cruises on those ships when they were Renaissance) and loved that experience as well. The advantages of Oceania as I see it are the perfect size of the ships, the excellent food and the open seating policy in the dining room. Also the total decor/ambience of the ship is wonderful. Celebrity does have the advantage with entertainment venues and (sorry, just my opinion again) we miss the formal nights which afford us a chance to dress up for dinner, something since we retired that we get to do less often but still enjoy. One downside of note with Oceania is the upward spike in prices I've noticed in the last year...seems like they are trying to catch up with Radisson/Silverseas (we've also cruised both) without offering the all-inclusive product. The drink/wine prices and the 18% gratuity affixed on Oceania are also high in my opinion compared to other lines. That all being said, I still think Oceania is a great line and their itineraries are also tops!

One trip on Celebrity's Mercury, 3-04, and one on Oceania's Regatta, 8-05, and I think Oceania is far superior in food.

Service was about a toss-up.

Celebrity's entertainment better (but not as good as Princess, which we often cruise with - best itineraries).

We book primarily for itinerary, then cruiseline/ship & price. Oceania has some very attractive pricing specials.

Sheila,

I agree.--let's go!

My parents want to go on a Med cruise this fall for their 60th anniversary, and they have suggetsed orient Lines' Marco Polo. We've been on that shop and its a major step down from Oceania, so I'm hoping to gently persuade them to consider Oceania.

Caludia,

I agree with you--we were on it in 2003, and although the itinerary was wonderful, the ship, the food, the service, and the cabin were not. My folks are very price concious, and since it's their anniversary, they get to pick. Maybe I need to talk a sales course.

Archived