Have you ever been on a cruise with a dog?

tuggers

I was fascinated reading the other day about a pax traveling with a dog. I understand if it was a seeing eye dog or such but she said it was a little white dog that the woman carried in a bag. I'm really curious for details. Anyone know anything else?

It was on JOS last week out of FLL. Yup, little white yappy dog in a black pet bag. The two times I saw her she had it in the chair next to her in the Windjammer. Once she sat right behind me and someone asked her what she had to do to get a dog onboard and she said she paid a fee and knew the right people. I haven't found anything on the RCCL web site as far as policy but...it happened.

There was a service Doberman Pinscher on our cruise last month. I don't know for what ailment but we rode the elevator with her and her husband and the dog once and I saw them in the Martini Bar one night. I did ask them where the dog did his or maybe her business I didn't look that close and she said there was an area on Deck Four set up for that.

There was a service Doberman Pinscher on our cruise last month. I don't know for what ailment but we rode the elevator with her and her husband and the dog once and I saw them in the Martini Bar one night. I did ask them where the dog did his or maybe her business I didn't look that close and she said there was an area on Deck Four set up for that.

it's pretty common then. I forgot about the service animals needing a "place" for their business.

We had a seeing eye dog on one cruise, but it was trained to use a litter box like a cat so it never had to leave the room if the owner didn't.

We were told by staff that the only other dog allowed onboard was if there was a medical letter from a Dr. stating it was for a mental illness and used as a companion. Hmmmmmm

Marilyn

I was fascinated reading the other day about a pax traveling with a dog. I understand if it was a seeing eye dog or such but she said it was a little white dog that the woman carried in a bag. I'm really curious for details. Anyone know anything else?

Just Returned on The Golden Princess January 14th to the 21st

There Was a Lady In A Moterized Wheel Chair That Had A Butiful Sheppard With Her Tied To the Wheel chair

She and the dog were Both on the Flight from Atlanta To San Juan And Back

STUR Dayton,Ohio

I'm going to stray a little and hope y'all don't mind.

On one of my cross country Amtrak trips the person in the next sleeper had a service or "companion" dog. She suffered from acute agoraphobia. At one point she was almost entirely housebound. She began therapy with the animal and her dog became her "life line" to home. We had several conversations (we were on the train for two days) and it was very interesting learning about her situation.

I guess my point here is somehow I doubt "knowing the right people" and paying for a dog would enable someone to carry a critter around with them on the ship. Maybe I am naive and money really does "talk". I rather think there was something more to this and the person wanted to keep it to themselves?

We had a seeing eye dog on the Infinity and this was a cruise to Hawaii, so I was more curious about bringing the dog to Hawaii because of the quarentine to prevent rabies, rather than the dog on board. This dog was so well trained he me look like I had bad manners. He even competed in the Mr. Infinity contest (Though he did not go in the pool for the belly Flop, he did do the initial parade and I think he barked for the "Tarzan Yell" part.

I asked the lady about the Hawaiian quarentine and she said that she had to bring all kinds of paper work and that proof that her dog was rabies free, and that at one of the ports the Hawaiian athorities arranged to have a Vet examine her dog.

Also, I have met people during my volunteer work at the VA hospital who have assistance dogs for many reasons, Seisures, Brain Tumors, Post Tramitic Stress Disorder.... Many different reasons - and the dogs can be as little as chiuahua or as big as an akita.

My husband and I travel with his Guide Dog for the Blind, Hero. (Seeing Eye is a brand name; each school has its own name. Guide Dogs for the Blind is based in San Rafael, CA with a branch in Oregon.) I would be highly surprised if you could bring a dog "because you know someone." However, there are many types of assistance dogs, including companion or therapy animals.

He is a black lab, and he wears a white silk bowtie on formal night, so he is quite formal in white tie and tail.

On his Celebrity cruises, they have built a 4 x 4 box for him, and put it out of the flow of traffic, usually on a forward deck. It has never been in our room, thank heavens. That could take away something from the ambiance.

Hawaii used to enforce quarantine because of rabies, but that has changed with the use of microchips for identification. We are going to Hawaii on Summit on March 12th. I just faxed the paperwork to the Hawaii Department of Agriculture. We will have a current health certificate from the state of Ohio when we get there and the originals of what I faxed. The only thing really out of the ordinary is that his blood had to be tested for rabies antibodies by a special lab at the University of Kansas. Hawaii's whole procedure has changed, so that pets can come into the state much more easily as well, sometimes with no quarantine at all.

The requirements are different everywhere, and the dog owner has to find out what they are. The cruiseline doesn't help with it. Several places have refused him entrance: Barbados and St Kitts. When that has happened, Hero spends the day with the front desk folks. He is usually exhausted when we come to pick him up because everyone has taken him for a walk.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer.

One thing, though: Don't ever walk up to a blind person, and say, "Gee, I wish I could bring my dog on a cruise." .....Gee, much as I love the dog, I wish my husband could see.

We have been on several X cruises where there was a Service Dog on board--and we just love it!

Staff will put out a large box in a small remote deck area, about 6x6 with grass growing in it, and since Service dogs are trained to, ah, do their business on command (the command is usually 'hurry up'), it works out very well.

When Service dogs are on board, they are spoiled by staff and pax alike, but only when they are 'off duty' and not 'working' with their owners. We suck up without shame to pax with Service dogs, as we need a 'dose of dog' whenever we are cruising without our three.

We used to raise and train Service dogs, so we have ZERO hesitation in telling other pax not to touch a working dog, and especially never without the spoken permission of the owner.

If another cruise line allows personal pets on board in the future, we just may have to defect from X!

My husband and I travel with his Guide Dog for the Blind, Hero. (Seeing Eye is a brand name; each school has its own name. Guide Dogs for the Blind is based in San Rafael, CA with a branch in Oregon.) I would be highly surprised if you could bring a dog "because you know someone." However, there are many types of assistance dogs, including companion or therapy animals.

He is a black lab, and he wears a white silk bowtie on formal night, so he is quite formal in white tie and tail.

On his Celebrity cruises, they have built a 4 x 4 box for him, and put it out of the flow of traffic, usually on a forward deck. It has never been in our room, thank heavens. That could take away something from the ambiance.

Hawaii used to enforce quarantine because of rabies, but that has changed with the use of microchips for identification. We are going to Hawaii on Summit on March 12th. I just faxed the paperwork to the Hawaii Department of Agriculture. We will have a current health certificate from the state of Ohio when we get there and the originals of what I faxed. The only thing really out of the ordinary is that his blood had to be tested for rabies antibodies by a special lab at the University of Kansas. Hawaii's whole procedure has changed, so that pets can come into the state much more easily as well, sometimes with no quarantine at all.

The requirements are different everywhere, and the dog owner has to find out what they are. The cruiseline doesn't help with it. Several places have refused him entrance: Barbados and St Kitts. When that has happened, Hero spends the day with the front desk folks. He is usually exhausted when we come to pick him up because everyone has taken him for a walk.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer.

One thing, though: Don't ever walk up to a blind person, and say, "Gee, I wish I could bring my dog on a cruise." .....Gee, much as I love the dog, I wish my husband could see.

How wonderful you're affliated with Guide Dogs...the facility in San Rafael is fantastic. My sister has raised the puppies in training for years, and now has 2 breeders. One of the most heartfelt occasions I have ever witnessed, was the graduation ceremony for the dogs, and the graduate turned over to it's new owner. Just wonderful!

Karyn

How wonderful you're affliated with Guide Dogs...the facility in San Rafael is fantastic. My sister has raised the puppies in training for years, and now has 2 breeders. One of the most heartfelt occasions I have ever witnessed, was the graduation ceremony for the dogs, and the graduate turned over to it's new owner. Just wonderful!

Karyn

Bless the wonderful people who can bring these dogs up for a year and then give them up! We have met so many people on our cruises who are involved with service animals as puppy raisers, volunteers, in the Lions Club and so on. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go to my husband's graduation because we live in Ohio, but I have watched the tape, and I don't think there's a dry eye in the house.

Read on another board about this dog, someone said the owner said it was a service dog for depression. If the dog didn't go with her she got depressed.I guess you can get some Dr's to write you a prescription for anything.

Read on another board about this dog, someone said the owner said it was a service dog for depression. If the dog didn't go with her she got depressed.I guess you can get some Dr's to write you a prescription for anything.

Before you judge someone else's needs, try reading this information: http://www.iaadp.org/psd_tasks.html

It's an informative article about the various uses for service dogs, including depression and anxiety. Mental illness is as real as a physical disability such as blindness.

Before you judge someone else's needs, try reading this information: http://www.iaadp.org/psd_tasks.html

It's an informative article about the various uses for service dogs, including depression and anxiety. Mental illness is as real as a physical disability such as blindness.

In no way did I intend that. I was joking and it came out in bad taste and I sincerely apologize. I read this on the RC board and the lady was quoted as laughing and joking about it. Please accept my humble apologies. teajak

Archived