Airfare to Miami out of control!

gamer99

Anyone out there having trouble booking air to Miami? We will be leaving out of Port of Miami in April for Spring Break week (w/o 4/9 to 4/16) and all the airfare is $400 and above. The only one offering a half decent fair is AirTran but with many stops and layovers! Anyone with suggestions? Even FLL is still quite expensive. We would be flying out of the DC area so it's not a small city we are flying from either.

:confused:

Thought this was the thread I started a couple of weeks ago with almost the exact same title! I feel your pain. We are cruising out of Miami on 4-2 and had the same trouble you are having finding a flight. The flight was going to cost as much as the cruise! Have you tried Kayak.com or the ITA software? (http://www.itasoftware.com/)

The way I finally found a flight that i could swallow was booking "multiple destinations". We are flying from Cincy to Miami on the way down and flying back from Palm Beach to Cincy...going to have to rent a van to get from Maimi to Palm Beach. (looks like about 200 dollars) but we can split that between 2 families and still come out way ahead.

Heck I even started looking at airports 2 hours away (both here and in Florida). I also had some luck flying a day after the cruise. Leaving on the Monday instead of the Sunday dropped the price a bunch. But I really didn't want my son to miss a day of school!

good luck!

Almost forgot...one of the couples that is going with us had to wait a few more days to book the cruise because of work concerns and could not get on our flght...the prices jumped to 600 per person ...and ended up having Carnial book their air because their air program was THAT MUCH cheaper! ( that is so scarey!) So they will be flying in the day of the cruise and wont know what their flight schedule is to almost cruise time.

There have been decent prices--not that I got one! I booked STLouis to FLL (4/8) and MIA/STL, 4/16 in December when the price 'dropped' to 334 per oerson from over 400. A few days later, the same flights dropped to 274 each. These were nonstops and I liked the times.

Since then AA has cancelled my early morning flight to FLL and am now on a later nonstop. I guess because of the consolidation, to price out the same flights now, fare is over 700 per person!!

But if you can be flexible w/connections and times, keep checking. I am still seeing decent fares when you use the flexible travel options. Also check for surrounding airports as suggested below.

Good Luck! By the way, those our our sail dates too on the Victory. What ship are you on?

I have noticed this as well.

Been keeping an eye on fares in July. Last year I made it for $159.

This year they were holding firm at $262. Then yesterday it jumped to $282.

I'm going to give it a little while longer (gamble on my part)

Don't know if anyone noticed that Kayak advertises an Airtran flight at $220 but when you click on the link to take you to Airtran the price jumps up to $500! I'm a little skeptical about buying from 1800cheapseats because we have a party of 12 people and are trying to keep everyone together but can't seem to find enough seats. Anyone else have any ideas?

Also...any chance that the some of the bigger airlines will lower their prices? I've been looking at some of the $500-$800 flights are still completely empty! Why would they fly an empty flight instead of trying to book it so that it's full? At least they won't fly down there with an empty airplane!

Also...any chance that the some of the bigger airlines will lower their prices? I've been looking at some of the $500-$800 flights are still completely empty! Why would they fly an empty flight instead of trying to book it so that it's full? At least they won't fly down there with an empty airplane!

It would depend on why it is "empty." Just because seats aren't assigned yet doesn't mean that the flight isn't almost sold out. A lot of people when they book don't automatically get their seats assigned. Large groups will not have their seats assigned until they get to the airport. Plus when the cruise line's book their flights they don't assign seats - if you are flying on a day when ships actually sail this may be what is actually happening with those flights. So what can happen is even though tons of seats show "available" for seat assignment, the flight is actually totally full because there is one large group and everybody else was booked on cruise air so nobody has seat assignments until they get to the airport.

I know I have been saw 3 $34-39 each way Southwest Ding's from Philly to FLL this week. It is my home airport, and both Dings were home airport specific. I wonder if Baltimore might show up sometime soon, for those that register with ding as their home airport?

Don't know if anyone noticed that Kayak advertises an Airtran flight at $220 but when you click on the link to take you to Airtran the price jumps up to $500! I'm a little skeptical about buying from 1800cheapseats because we have a party of 12 people and are trying to keep everyone together but can't seem to find enough seats. Anyone else have any ideas?

Your problem is: You are trying to get more seats than are available at the $220.00 fare. If you are trying to book multiple seats together (over 4 usually), you will get kicked upwards in price until you reach a "fare bucket" that has 12 seats in the same bucket (which are usually the higher priced tickets).

You will have to do some extra work to get this to ticket at a reasonable price and will probably have to start with two seats. Go all the way through the reservation process to "book" (where you can see the price), then go back and raise the number of seats by 2. Go through the reservation process again, to the place you can see the price. If it is still the same, I would book those 4 seats at that time. Then start all over until you get twelve booked. The chances of getting 12 at the same price (low) are almost slim and none.

Or call the airline, ask for the lowest prices as a group and then ask for the lowet prices if you book NOT as a group. An example: You may get 3 seats at $220.00, 4 at $300 and 5 at $400.00. You will have to average out the prices to see if you are getting a good deal.

Post the flights you are looking at and I will take a look at a database which will give availability in all fare categories.

Your problem is: You are trying to get more seats than are available at the $220.00 fare.

This can surely happen, but in this instance I think this is a severe example of not using real-time data in conducting a search. If one uses Kayak to search for a fare for 1 individual and follow their link to airTran to book for 1 individual, the fare does jump from $220 to $479 (even higher for certain other times). Rather than using the link provided by Kayak, if one goes to the airTran site directly, the higher fare immediately shows as real-time data is being used. Some increase is always possible because most search engines do not use real-time data on fare/seat availability. In fact, a study done by Consumer Reports showed that this happens 21% of the time on Orbitz. Thus, I would use this (because it may be a technological problem that is not typical for that site) or other search engines (such as SideStep.com, where this problem does not occur) to explore flight options, but do any booking at the selected airline's website, or, as greatam suggests, call the airline directly to book a group of 12 people. Of course, separately examining Southwest Airlines, if that is an option, may also be useful as LMCruise mentions.

This can surely happen, but in this instance I think this is a severe example of not using real-time data in conducting a search. If one uses Kayak to search for a fare for 1 individual and follow their link to airTran to book for 1 individual, the fare does jump from $220 to $479 (even higher for certain other times). Rather than using the link provided by Kayak, if one goes to the airTran site directly, the higher fare immediately shows as real-time data is being used. Some increase is always possible because most search engines do not use real-time data on fare/seat availability. In fact, a study done by Consumer Reports showed that this happens 21% of the time on Orbitz. Thus, I would use this (because it may be a technological problem that is not typical for that site) or other search engines (such as SideStep.com, where this problem does not occur) to explore flight options, but do any booking at the selected airline's website, or, as greatam suggests, call the airline directly to book a group of 12 people. Of course, separately examining Southwest Airlines, if that is an option, may also be useful as LMCruise mentions.

It is my understanding that AirTran has not completely integrated with ITA's QPX system used by Kayak. So you may not be getting real time data. But I would still stand by my assertion that getting 12 seats to book in a cheap fare will probably not happen.

I needed to book 16 of my employees for a trade show in MIA in late March. Some flying from PHX (2), LAX (3), MCI(8) and New York (3). No matter how I worked the system, on any airline, I could NOT get the 8 to book together. Finally gave up and called the EXP desk at AA. They were more than glad to help, but I still ended up booking 3 in Q, 4 in S and 1 in K.

It is my understanding that AirTran has not completely integrated with ITA's QPX system used by Kayak. So you may not be getting real time data.

Well, that may be the "technological problem" that I mentioned might be happening.

But I would still stand by my assertion that getting 12 seats to book in a cheap fare will probably not happen.

Unless there is yet another technological problem going on, even buying 1 ticket on the airTran website costs over $500. One can buy up to 6 tickets at this price, until the bucket fills and the rest cost almost $600! At least with respect to airTran, a phone call is warranted if 12 tickets are needed as suggested earlier.

Back in November we booked for our cruise in June on AA for $189.80 p/p roundtrip, nonstop from Minneapolis to Fort Lauderdale. This includes all fees and taxes. Reverse route on the way home. I booked for six people for a total of$1138.80. Friday for the same flights it was $2119.40 total.:confused: :eek:

The savings paid for another cruise.

Mike

You just have to keep your eyes open. Yes I will agree that flying to Ft Lauderdale is cheaper than Miami, but that cab ride cant get quite pricey.

I was looking for tickets for mid Feb to both from Dallas and I found that cheapest ticket I could get was on Spirit for 149, non stop to Ft. Lauderdale. I could also get direct to Miami for 179 on AA....which I would much rather do!

For me, flying non stop into Miami is worth the little extra money to not have to deal with the hassles of extra cab fare and layovers.

Southwest fares aren't always the best value when taking all of the above into consideration. Layovers take too much time out of my day and increase the chances of delays/lost bags. Go direct if possible, even if it's another 20 dollars.

Just keep checking, you will find a good fare.

I'm having the same problem. I should have booked my airfare months ago. From Newark to Miami I got these prices. Nonstop from Continental $780:eek:. American Airlines I got $486. I should have gotten it when it was like $300bucks for 2. My god.

We couldn't find reasonable fares from Wisconsin to Miami so we ended up booking Fort Lauderdale. We are also flying in Saturday which is the day before the cruise. In order to reduce the airfare we are flying out on Monday, the day after the cruise ends. It was the only way we could do it. So we ended up using hotel points for the hotel stay. As for taxi fares, our very frugal (he once spent 45 minutes in line at Disney to get a 4 cent -yes 4 cents - overcharge back) son lives in Miami and always flys home using Fort Lauderdale. The shuttle is only 18.00 plus tip per person. With the number of people you have though it might be cheaper just to get a limo or van. If you save $100 - 150 on air fare per person, the car transportation is easily covered.

The shuttle is only 18.00 plus tip per person. With the number of people you have though it might be cheaper just to get a limo or van. If you save $100 - 150 on air fare per person, the car transportation is easily covered.

Can you give me some details on the shuttle? where does it take you? what hours does it operate. I am currently searching for flights to FLL from Portland oregon - instead of Miami. Some of the cheap flights get in very late - like 12:00 am. is there anything but cabs available then? thanks!

Finally bit the bullet and bought tickets for about $320 a pop but at least it will be direct and no stopovers. Sidestep was a lifesaver....I will never use Kayak again. I wasted so much time with their search engine trying to buy tickets that no longer existed. Good luck to all flying into Miami.

--For those flying to FLL, consider renting a car one way into Miami. It would be worth it and you would have a car to sightsee around Miami:o

I just checked......There lots of options via JetBlue and AA for your travel dates for anywhere from $174 to $199 flying into Miami. Hope you can change your tickets or maybe get a price adjustment if you booked through either of these two airlines.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the opposite problem, I couldn't find a cheap flight to Fort Lauderdale. Finally I was able to get a flight through a TA that uses a charter company direct MSP to Miami for $600 less than flying to Fort Lauderdale. It flies direct and they have many other cruise ship passengers on the flights that were booked through the TA, so the times worked well with the port transfers.

Good luck!

I originally booked USAir PVD-MIA for 4/12-4/19. Initial rate was 303 with tax.

I wanted to fly down on 4/13, but then the fare climbed to $524!

Then the fare dropped to $275.70.

It is now back up to $448 and some change.

Then. of course.. the world being as it is... my seminar was cancelled and I was rebooked to the March 26 seminar out of FLL.. So I had to start all over again. Flying PVD-FLL 3/26, returning on 4/2.. the lowest rate was Spirit $357. I thought that too high... So... I tried the outbound on 3/25.. same rate.. then I changed it to 3/24... the rate dropped to $248.10.. so I booked.. never thinking I would have trouble finding a decent hotel in FLL at a decent price.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARGH...........finally through a corporate contact I was able to get two nights at the same property. Not a 4* I usually stay at, but 3*.. and since I'm a corporate guest, I am hoping they will treat me well.

Air has been a real problem from the cold weather climes this year to Florida.

Archived