Carnival MC- Should I use funpoints or save them?

bahacca

I got the promo offer of 20000 FP for opening the account. I purchased the remainder of my cruise on the card, so I can use those 20000 points against that charge. I see the best value is waiting until you hit 100K FP and cashing in against a charge that is $1500+. Am I better off just waiting to rack up the FP and using it against a future cruise, or should I just use the $200 credit now? 

Also, I plan to use this card as the card on our on-board account card. After the cruise is over, can I use the points to cover some of those charges instead? Or can you only use it for credit against the actual travel?

Thanks! Still trying to figure out how the card will work best for me.

You can get $150 credit for 10,000 points for any Carnival purchase over $1500.  Don't have to wait for 100000 points.  I redeemed 33,333 points for $500 statement credit.  Login to your credit card account and you should see your options.

I had a hard time figuring out things on that site so I called and there was a language barrier so I have no idea if you can. I would be surprised  if you could. I ended up with 2 $100 carnival  gift cards. I would like to apply them to my cruise balance. If I can't  apply I will use them for my bar bill. 

As long as your card is open, active and in good standing, your FunPoints do not expire.

Redemption values for eligible transactions are: 
Carnival Cruise transactions of $1,500.00 or more = 1.5%  
Carnival Cruise transactions of $50.00 - $1499.99 = 1%  
World's Leading Cruise lines transactions of $50.00 or more = 1%  
Airfare or hotel transactions of $50.00 or more = 0.90%

Carnival Cruise transactions with a value of $1,500 or more offer you the best redemption value. 100,000 FunPoints may be redeemed for a $1,500 statement credit toward an eligible purchase.

You have 180 days to pay yourself back for a statement credit toward eligible purchases! 

• Like 1

We typically use the card to purchase the cruise, excursions & use it for any onboard expenses.  Then, when the bill comes after the cruise is over, we apply the points for a credit toward our expenses.  It will list each qualifying expense & you choose which to apply it to.  You can only apply to an expense one time, though.  Thing is, even though you are supposedly applying toward expenses made a few months ago, it's just a credit on the current statement.  This is the only time we use the card, as there are better cards for your normal everyday purchases.

OP, don't forget, you get 10% off of Carnival excursions when you use the MasterCard to pay for them. Well, a 10% statement credit, same difference.

On 12/19/2019 at 5:00 PM, nmstevens said:

I ended up with 2 $100 carnival  gift cards. I would like to apply them to my cruise balance. If I can't  apply I will use them for my bar bill. 

If you're asking how, you can apply them to your balance by logging in to your Cruise Manager. Just click on make a payment (something like that), and instead of clicking on pay the balance, choose a different amount, enter the amount of the gift cards, and choose the gift card payment option. Or you can call Carnival and do it over the phone.

OK. Thank you for clarifying that the 1.5% redemption was on any purchase $1500+ no matter the point value. I thought I had to have 100K points to do it. Guess I will save them until my next cruise. I won't have any further charges for this one that amount to more than $1500.