Xcaret...Worth the long trip?

teresapink

Xcaret is a beautiful park. HOWEVER , there is just not enough time to truly explore it when you only have the limited time allowed by your day in port. I would only go there again if I was doing an extended day in coz or cancun.

Been there, done that.

If you leave from Cozumel, you will have approximately 5 hours in the park to do what you want. If you are in Calica or Playa, then your time is about 6 hours. The travel time across from Cozumel to Playa is about 45 minutes including the tender and bus to the park. I go over there every Wednesday...it is great.

We did Xcaret while docked in Calica. We stayed the whole day and even stayed for the Show at night. We enjoyed the park and got to see just about everything. The night time show was a bit long for me. The ride to the park from the dock at Calica is very short.

we are coming from cozumel and i think we are tenderng at about 10 am and are sailing at 7pm.....we figure with the tendering taking a lot of time we may have about 4 hours in the park to safely get back in time...i think i'll plan ahead on what to do so that we don't waste any time...what are the things we shouldn't miss?

• 2 weeks later...

Xcaret is awesome - a sight not to be missed - IF you're staying on the mainland, or at least coming into Calica.

However, you will leave feeling like you really wished you had more time if you do it from Cozumel. The Night show is great and free (once you're inside, of course), the Dolphins are great, so many things are great. Big place, lots to see and do. Hit it when you really have all day and night to spend there.

We went from Cancun, Swam with the Dolphins, went Scuba Diving, and Stayed until closing - I wish we hadn't done the scuba, we still needed much more time!

• 2 weeks later...

My hubby & I have been to Xcaret twice and still haven't seen it all! Of course, it's true that there's more to see at night and most cruises just don't stay in port long enough. Check out my pic's on Webshots.com, just go to the Community page, scroll down & search for member cobrasally.

We recommend a visit to Xcaret to everyone we talk to about cruises. We can't wait to get back there again! Last year we cruised with another couple and she did the dolphin swim. My hubby got it all on video, and I took lots of pic's. Most other dolphin swims don't allow anyone to take pictures or video. If you want pic's, you have to buy theirs. Next time we get to Xcaret, we want to do the underground river swim. It looks like a lot of fun!

Also, you can check out their website; xcaret.com

You'll have fun, whatever you choose to do!

Sally

I know that many places in Cozumel & Cancun received extensive damage due to the hurricane. Has anyone been to Xcaret since the hurricane, and if so, was it worth going to, or has there been too much damage?

I was there in the beginning of February and really could not see any damage. They have done a great job cleaning it up.

I would not go again the way it is set up at the moment, though.

We had to tender to Playa, which took about 45 minutes. We ended up with about 4 hours in Xcaret, which is NOWHERE NEAR LONG ENOUGH. We then had to be back on the bus at 1:30, and did not get back to the ship until 3:30, which did not allow us to shop in Cozumel as we had planned.

It is best to go to Xcaret when your ship is docking in Calica. I won't be going again until that time or until I take a land based vacation. It is very frustrating to have such a very few hours.

Also, when we docked in Calica the charge was $65 (I think). This time it was $89.

Loved XCARET when docked in Calica...loved the underground river swim the best...but it is long and you should be in fairly good shape even with the lifejackets..it is cool and great on a hot day.

It is a little difficult to find your way around however, even with maps so do allow plenty of time. I would not do it from Cozumel....only from Calica or ground trip...

:) We've been to Xcaret twice - had a great time swimming in

the underground river. Your things are put in a locked waterproof bag and sent to the exit where you'll end up.

The acquarium is great and the restored

Mayan village is a must see. Even 4 or 5 hours is worth it -

I recommend checking the prices of the restaurants before

being seated. The cafeteria/gift shop was our choice.

There are inlets and chairs to sit in and places to swim

and places to change into dry clothes.

We were there January 2006 and only the zoo was not

available.

Have a great time.

We have been there twice too - the last time about a month ago. And we still have not seen the whole park. I would go back in a heartbeat. Found it a lot less crowded this year so it really shows you how much tourism is down.

Last year, another couple on our shore excursion swam with the dolphins...said it was the best dolphin experience they had ever had. We tried it this year, and WOW it was fabulous. We booked the dolphin swim outside of the shore excursion thru Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel. The underwater caves a do not miss as well.

Archived