Thoughts on recent Escape cruise

Ginger Princess

This is a quick review with some random thoughts on our recent Escape cruise. We went 12/14 - 12/21. It was my husband’s and my second cruise (first was Jade in 2016 same ports) and the first cruise for my son.

Embarkation was pretty smooth. We ate lunch in Taste or Savor (I can’t remember which one). The old lunch menu was still there. I had the Cajun fish sandwich even though I kinda wanted to try the Cajun chicken pasta on the new menu. 

I dragged my my husband to a cooking demo from Food Republic on the first full day. It was more of a sushi demo so that got his attention. My husband loves sushi and was quite glad when he realized he could get it on the ship. So guess what we had for lunch on both sea days, Food Republic. The first one my son tagged along with the understanding that if he didn’t like it, the buffet was available. My favorite was the crispy salmon roll. My son (usually not adventurous) tried pork dumplings and teriyaki chicken and liked both. My husband talked about this meal the rest of the week and was disappointed it wasn’t open on the port day we stayed onboard.

We only saw one show. We tended to hang out in the atrium and listen to whatever music was playing between game shows. I liked the ABBA tribute music. The Elvis impersonator was entertaining, but Elvis didn’t sing Sweet Caroline. The only show we saw was the magician at the supper club on the last night. He had everyone laughing and I even got to participate by shuffling an imaginary deck of cards and pulling one out. He of course had the actual card I picked somehow. The set menu wasn’t great but that’s how they feed everyone in a short amount of time.

In Roatan, we did a semi-submarine excursion through the cruise ship. That part was cool. The “forced peddling” as my husband called it was not cool. Yes I understand supporting the locals, so we bought lunch ashore, but we didn’t realize we had to sit through a presentation at a cameo factory. I just wanted to go back to the ship.

Harvest Caye was a beach day.  My son did the Superman zip line which was $49 for those who are interested. So the excursion credit wiped it out. We ate at the Laughing Bird Bar and Grill. Expensive burgers and nachos but saved us a long walk back and forth. I had some drink there that reminded me of a Mango Meltdown but it had a piece of pineapple sticking out the top. My husband said the drinks in the coconut were not worth it because the coconut was heavy (compared to a glass) and just awkward to hold. 

Maya Chan in Costa Maya was great. There was some seaweed but they were super nice. The food was great and the drinks were plentiful. My son learned to paddle board and was impressed by his strawberry smoothie.

The weather started to turn very windy as we left Costa Maya for Cozumel. My sea bands were not keeping up with the ship’s motion so I had to take some Bonine that night. We woke up to windy, overcast day in Cozumel. It was a little cool and we were “beached out” so we stayed on board. It rained on our sea day back so it was a little crowded indoors.

Disembarkation was fine. We had some trouble locating one of our bags that somehow was hidden by a pole and another bag.

Overall it was a great cruise and we got 2 cruise next certificates. My only complaint was the photographers. I wanted a nice family photo so we waited in line during the dinner hour for one in the atrium on the second night. I told them I only wanted a family photo but they had to do individuals of everyone and then couple photos. It took longer that I wanted and I only got the one family photo. I know they’re supposed to take that many shots, but if a person just wants a family photo, can’t they just take family shots? Other than that, no complaints and everyone was friendly and helpful. 

• Like 2