XEL-Ha Distants

daniella1279

HI Guys 

I will be sailing on the NCL Getaway 2/2-2/7 and I just booked Xel-ha for out stop in Cozumel. Is it really almost 2 hours from port to Xel-ha? If so is there anything similar that would be closer? We liked the option of floating down the river and mangroves. 

Thanks for the input

Danielle

1 hour ago, daniella1279 said:

HI Guys 

I will be sailing on the NCL Getaway 2/2-2/7 and I just booked Xel-ha for out stop in Cozumel. Is it really almost 2 hours from port to Xel-ha? If so is there anything similar that would be closer? We liked the option of floating down the river and mangroves. 

Thanks for the input

Danielle

You do realize this is on the mainland and requires a ferry and land transport each way?

Personally I would save mainland activities for land vacations as there is plenty to do on Cozumel and transport to the mainland takes up a lot of time as you have discovered. However, if you are set on river floating I am not aware of anywhere on  Cozumel to do that so the best option is through the cruise line as you have booked.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

You do realize this is on the mainland and requires a ferry and land transport each way?

Personally I would save mainland activities for land vacations as there is plenty to do on Cozumel and transport to the mainland takes up a lot of time as you have discovered. However, if you are set on river floating I am not aware of anywhere on  Cozumel to do that so the best option is through the cruise line as you have booked.

Thanks for your input. I knew there was a ferry ride involved. I didn’t know there was also a 45-55 min bus ride on top of the ferry ride until I was looking at reviews for the place.

Edited by daniella1279

Agree with above.  It’s a very nausea-inducing 45 minute ferry ride each way and then a long bus ride leaving you not much time for xel ha.  
Xel ha itself can be overrun with people when multiple cruisers are in port.  I wouldn’t waste my short stop in Cozumel on the logistics.  
there is no river in Cozumel but some great snorkeling with under water sculpture right off the beach at Chankanaab.  I would suggest that as an alternative.  
If your ship is also stopping in Costa Maya you may have more options for a mainland excursion. 

16 hours ago, caugh51654 said:

Agree with above.  It’s a very nausea-inducing 45 minute ferry ride each way and then a long bus ride leaving you not much time for xel ha.  
Xel ha itself can be overrun with people when multiple cruisers are in port.  I wouldn’t waste my short stop in Cozumel on the logistics.  
there is no river in Cozumel but some great snorkeling with under water sculpture right off the beach at Chankanaab.  I would suggest that as an alternative.  
If your ship is also stopping in Costa Maya you may have more options for a mainland excursion. 

Thank you for your input. We have decided to do Chankanaab instead. 

• Like 1

You made a wise decision to cancel Xel-Ha. I looked at Xplor for like a day then realized the stuff we wanted to do-cave tubing and zipline-could be done at our next port stop for half the price and a shorter drive there. We will find something to do on the island in Cozumel to not waste half of our day commuting.

• Like 1