Best Itinerary for Christmas Markets

cleobella

Look towards Germany and Austria. Rhine (which then usually includes Strasbourg in France) and the Danube ( which could include Budapest which many past cruisers have thoroughly enjoyed). But a combination with the Main - and/or Nuremberg on the Canal - or the Moselle is also good. There are many great options - just make sure you arrive in Europe for an itinerary that starts on or after Sunday of the Dead in November. And seven nights on the ship will give you more time for getting engrossed in the experience than anything shorter than that. It really depends on how many markets you want to see.

Oh, and just in case you are wondering: snow does not happen very often...

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Missing word
  • Like 1

Thanks notamermaid! I was considering the Rhine, because you get to see stops in multiple countries and the Black Forest is included.  Do you happen to know how they fit in the markets, is this left up to us in free time or do they build actual market excursions into the itinerary during December? I have heard the Christmas markets in Strasburg and Cologne are quite nice.

We have done a lot of ocean cruising but this would be our first river cruise, so I'm feeling a bit lost in trying to plan.  I wish there was a specific board for river cruise companies, as exists for the ocean cruise companies.

Yesterday, I forgot to link you this: https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=2050

Also, as this will be your first river cruise, I highly recommend reading the stickies - the fastened threads at the top of this page, compiled by our host jazzbeau.

As regards the actual excursions and how they are run I am sure past cruisers will be happy to help.

For a few companies there are dedicated threads, like for AvalonWaterways. Ask away in there or read previous posts.

Two things about a Rhine itinerary: Cologne markets are easy to do and relatively close to the ships. Strasbourg has its port further out or the ships are in Kehl, Germany, that is on the right bank of the river. It necessitates a tram ride or a shuttle which river cruise companies normally provide.

notamermaid