Amber Cove-Dominican Republic

allinthesameboat

We chose to stay in Amber Cove proper and shop/eat/drink. (I got a beautiful pair of amber earrings I really love). 

Here is an informative review from someone who actually took the tour. (A note to take smaller bills for the shop, they don't always have change) 

QUOTE:

"We got to plant seeds, lean about how the cocoa plants grow and are harvested, then dried and sent to the factory. At the factory we separated the beans and the nibs, we helped prepare packages for shipping and creating molds for chocolate bars. We also got to shop in the factory store, which was tiny, but sold only the products which were produced at the factory. The bus ride was pleasant and the scenery was beautiful. I really enjoyed getting away from the port and into the heart of the island, meeting the local people, and doing something that will benefit the single mothers who own and run the factory. I will seek out more hands-on types of excursion when on future cruises."

39 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We chose to stay in Amber Cove proper and shop/eat/drink. (I got a beautiful pair of amber earrings I really love). 

Here is an informative review from someone who actually took the tour. (A note to take smaller bills for the shop, they don't always have change) 

QUOTE:

"We got to plant seeds, lean about how the cocoa plants grow and are harvested, then dried and sent to the factory. At the factory we separated the beans and the nibs, we helped prepare packages for shipping and creating molds for chocolate bars. We also got to shop in the factory store, which was tiny, but sold only the products which were produced at the factory. The bus ride was pleasant and the scenery was beautiful. I really enjoyed getting away from the port and into the heart of the island, meeting the local people, and doing something that will benefit the single mothers who own and run the factory. I will seek out more hands-on types of excursion when on future cruises."

Thank you for taking the time to post this review.   I've signed up for this later this month as it sounds interesting. On my cruise, this excursion is early in the day, so I'll walk a bit around when I get back.  Perhaps I'll find a nice piece of amber jewelry too!