Ships Fuel Cost

DonnyF

Can anyone tell me how much fuel a 7 day cruise consumes ? Or where I can get information on this. I recall talking to an officer on the caribbean princess last year and he told me a large figure but I dont remember it.

Can anyone tell me how much fuel a 7 day cruise consumes ? Or where I can get information on this. I recall talking to an officer on the caribbean princess last year and he told me a large figure but I dont remember it.

Hi Donny, the amount of fuel and what kind of fuel will vary depending on the size of the ship, its power plant, speed, how deep it is in the water, if is using stabilazers, winds and how rough or smooth is the sea......but I do have a small 'brochure' from Celebrity's Millennium that has some information that might give you some general answer.

I quote from that provided information;

"Q. What is the fuel consumption?

A. At the service speed of 23.65 knots consumption is 240 tons per day, this equates to 126 gallons per mile.

Q. What is the range when all fuel tanks are full ?

A. At service speed the GTS Millennium carries enough fuel for 14 days of continuous sailing, but more economical at the slower speeds.

The GTS Millennium carries 3400 cubic meters (898184 gallons) of marine gas oil, which is enough for a 12 day voyage at maximum speed. "

So from all this information provided you might be able to get some idea.

This particular ship has two engines: Type GE LM 2500 PLUS and is using a little more expensive grade of fuel.

My guess would be that for a seven day avarage cruise the consumption would be close to 400,000 gallons at that probably costs at current high prices really close to about 800,000 dollars.

The engines provide power for the generators that provide electrical power for the propulsion motors and for everything on the ship that uses electricity - including the evaporators that produce drinking water on the ship.

"The total electrical power of the GTS Millennium of 59.5MW (80461 HP) is enough to supply electricity to a town with more than 40000 inhabitants."

So even when in port the ship is still using fuel to run at least one engine to produce electrical power for its operation.

Wes

Archived