Mythbusters Test Motion Sickness Remedies

ccrain

A recent episode of Mythbusters (Discovery Channel) tested OTC medications for sea sickness. Apparently Adam, co-star, and Grant, assistant techie, are extremely motion sick prone.

The bottom line - ginger.

"Episode 43: Seasickness — Kill or Cure

The whole team takes on the challenge of finding the holy grail of the sea, i.e., an effective remedy for mal de mer, in this episode. From electric shock therapy to homeopathic tongue tinglers, can the MythBusters find a cure to this frequently regurgitated problem? Returning to shore, Adam and Jamie hit the road in a fuel efficiency special. They seek to answer the age-old question: Does driving with your pickup's tailgate down save gas and, hence, money?

premiere: Nov. 16, 2005"

http://community.discovery.com/1/OpenTopica=cfrm&cdra=Y&s=6941912904&f=2991937776

I got mine from GNC but have seen them at K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Target and most drugstores. The ones I get are 1000mg and I take one a day about 3 days before our cruise, and then one each day of the cruise. They are great if you have any other medical problems since they don't interfer with other medicines. My doctor was the person that first told me about ginger and then I read about it on these boards.

I got mine from GNC but have seen them at K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Target and most drugstores. The ones I get are 1000mg and I take one a day about 3 days before our cruise, and then one each day of the cruise. They are great if you have any other medical problems since they don't interfer with other medicines. My doctor was the person that first told me about ginger and then I read about it on these boards.

If you check a recent thread (started by me, actually) about this month's Consumer Report Magazine, you will find that ginger does, indeed, interfere with some medicines, namely blood thinners, like Coumidin, Waferin, etc. It is a very dangerous interaction. I would suspect that you would have to be careful about taking it with aspirin, as well. The bottom line is, always ask your doctor and always stick to the recommended dose.Too many people think that herbal and/or homeopathic (natural) remedies are harmless, but that is not always the case. Also, you have those folks who think if a little is good, a lot must be better.

If you check a recent thread (started by me, actually) about this month's Consumer Report Magazine, you will find that ginger does, indeed, interfere with some medicines, namely blood thinners, like Coumidin, Waferin, etc. It is a very dangerous interaction. I would suspect that you would have to be careful about taking it with aspirin, as well. The bottom line is, always ask your doctor and always stick to the recommended dose.Too many people think that herbal and/or homeopathic (natural) remedies are harmless, but that is not always the case. Also, you have those folks who think if a little is good, a lot must be better.

What does it do??? I am sensitive to aspirin, I have a bleeding disorder, should I not take the ginger??

Ginger has been shown to affect platelets in a test tube. Theoretically, it increases the risk of bleeding for people who have bleeding disorders (particularly the ones that increase platelet 'stickiness') or people who take 'blood thinners' including aspirin. So, you should ask your doctor whether you can take it or not, given your diagnosis.

I wouldn't take everything Mythbusters says as Gospel. They have an interesting show - but like many of us, they are prone to mistakes, and sometimes too quick in coming to judgement.

Just because it is in black and white does not mean it is true!

What does it do??? I am sensitive to aspirin, I have a bleeding disorder, should I not take the ginger??

In your case, I would absolutely not take ginger, esp. without checking with my doctor first. I am very prone to motion sickness and, frankly, I never found ginger all that effective anyway. I use SeaBands and take a drug (prescription) called promethazine. I found Marezine (OTC) to work fairly well, too, although not as well as the 'script stuff. I would never use those patches. My dr. says he will not prescribe them anyway. He says the cons far outweigh the pros and he has read about severe reactions.

If you are on blood thinners or have a bleeding disorder DO NOT take ginger.

I have been on blood thinner for 11 years and my doctor stresses that to me before every cruise.

Jerry

Thanks for the advice. I have too many platelets and am on aspirin therapy. Will definitely not take ginger. Fortunately, I am not terribly prone to seasickness. I would imagine for me gingerale will work if I ever feel queezy.

I wouldn't take everything Mythbusters says as Gospel. They have an interesting show - but like many of us, they are prone to mistakes, and sometimes too quick in coming to judgement.

Just because it is in black and white does not mean it is true!

The spinning chair with head motion had both Grant and Adam talking to the bottom of the garbage can within 3 minutes. With Ginger, they lasted a lot longer. None of the other remedies came as close. At least for them, it worked - in color too.

My wife uses ginger capsules, a couple of other herbs and sea-bands. It seems to work well for her. Each person's response will be different.

Archived