P & O v Marella & a bit of help please

soobs

We didn't keep track of the last minute prices of the 2 pre-Xmas in 2019 and I am wondering if anyone can tell me what was the lowest price they came down to? We like the pre-Xmas cruise for a few reasons one is the cost they are usually the lower priced ones we are not well off so have to watch the pennies, we like the finer things in life and also like 2 holidays a year so this is our choice to get the best price we can for what we like, we also can only book late once carers for mum are secured.

We have cruised Feb, March and a TA in March as well but always P & O we like the British product, for number of years we had been thinking of trying another cruise line after reading and speaking to people, 2019 was the year, we went on the Marella explorer 2 and had a lovely cruise but will be returning to P & O from now on hence the question.  

We started of the cruise with a 50%/50% opinion on Marella v P & O and found some clear things we preferred, it was a smaller ship so better for my OH who is recovering from a knee replacement, the main dining room was nice being on 2 levels, you could always easily get a sun bed even on sea days, the AI was not a problem we didn't experience any alcohol related behaviors and the staff were lovely so friendly. 

We ended the cruise 80% P & O. We didn't try the fine dining experience we thought the cost was a little expensive as the venues were not in the same league as Epicurean or Sindhu, the MDR food was good

P & O's is better (staff not as friendly though) food has more taste and more variation. Not much to choose between the buffet restaurants. My one big love with P & O is breakfast in the MDR sorry to say Marella are no competition whatsoever. 

P & O's entertainment suits us better the shows in the show lounge were a little disappointing, the comedian was not really funny, the man with the guitar singing was a bit boring, the 2 lady singers personalities did not shine but we did like how they had a selection of drinks available at the back of the show lounge very handy particularly as I was the drinks carrier (knee and crutches). 

There is no quite pool like the one at the back of the Azura which we love, the mail pool is not as noisy on Marella as P & O but is is the only pool area.

I guess this is getting a bit boring reading now and maybe should be on the Marella forum, I hope it helps anyone else who like me want to try something different, we are happy we tried and had a lovely holiday the ship was fine particularly as we didn't really get off due to the knee! holidays are what you make them.

If anyone has the information regarding lowest price I would be really grateful as it will give me a lead of when to book for Nov/Dec 2020, we will be looking at the last November sailings for Azura which would be first choice or the 4/5 Dec on Britannia. Thank you in advance and if any one would like any more comparisons please just ask.              

Prices dropped a bit lower for the Christmas markets cruises this year due to Oceana coming back into the market. 

Last year we paid £629 for 9 nights inside saver on Aurora, this year I saw them advertised for less than £550. 

In comparison, we went on Oceana for 7 nights for £380 at the end of November. Not an Xmas markets cruise, but a guide of what was available. 

Andy 

Sorry to bump to the top don't think my heading was interesting enough to catch people's eyes? if anyone knows of any other way i can get this information I would be happy for the help

thank you Susan