New Years Eve C

sunshine4me2

Can anyone give me any feedback on the festivities/atmosphere for this past New Year's Eve on any NCL cruise?  Good, bad, overcrowded, not worth it, or amazing?  We have previously cruised NCL 4 times during the summer and have now considered doing a New Years cruise.  Is it worth it?

NYE is super fun on the ships. There are parties in just about every venue plus the big countdown is usually held poolside with a big screen. They also have separate events for families with children. Very festive atmosphere throughout! There's music everywhere and the ship is nicely decorated. I highly recommend it.

We were on the Dawn this year.  Last year we were on a Carnival cruise.  Both were really fun.  Large party up on deck.  Both had favors for all the guests that they passed out at dinner.  Both had large ice numbers and dumped the 19 into the pool and pulled out the 20.  Both had DJ/Band and dancing.  Really fun atmosphere with champagne flowing on both cruises.  On Carnival they closed down all bars except by pool deck and it was packed, but fun.  Carnival had an atrium balloon drop at 11 pm. Norwegian doesn't shut down interior bars and they had a balloon drop in atrium at the same time.  

We just got off the Encore NYE cruise.  There were a lot of options!  There was a Latin party and balloon drop in the main indoor area (there were a lot of Spanish speaking families, which I think is why this was the main indoor space party), a weather-permitting outdoor pool deck party with the cruise staff I believe, a through-the-decades party in the nightclub area, and a one-hour set with the Beatles cover band in the Cavern, which is what we did.  We weren't sure if there would be a new year's observance in the Cavern but they were watching the clock and counted down, and a little before midnight servers from outside of the cavern came in with trays of small plastic champagne glasses, all of which was nice (we all had the beverage package and had tried to order glasses of champagne at about 11:45 and the Cavern server said they had no more champagne glasses!).  We had done a RCCL NYE cruise and I will say that the Encore had many more options.  It is a great way to spend NYE, especially if you are traveling with a large or multi-generational group

On 1/11/2020 at 8:32 PM, sunshine4me2 said:

Thanks to all for the info.  As we have been on several NCL cruises, are the Specialty restaurants and the buffet still as good as they are during non holiday sailings?  

I have sailed on NCL for Christmas a few times and have never noticed a decline in food quality compared to summer or spring cruises. I don't have a lot of experience with dining in the Specialty  restaurants and have not frequented them on my holiday sailings.

My Christmas cruises have been on the Breakaway, Pearl and Dawn which may have been my favorite. In each case the ships are decorated for the season, holiday music is around, but not overbearing as the diversity of passengers seems to be considered.

Edited by Nola26