WiFi plans

NJEMT29

On 1/13/2020 at 5:58 AM, gometros said:

You can get 50mb free for use on the first day only. After that. the pricing is as follows:

Pay as you go per MB $.25

100mb $19

300mb $39

1000mb $89

Are you only able to make your WiFi plan purchase once you are on board?  I'm not finding an option to pre-purchase it on the Disney Cruise website, under our reservation or under the on board gifts section.

Yes, you can purchase WiFi plans only once your are onboard. As getmetros said, for the past few years there has been an offer of 50 mb at no cost if you log onto the purchase site on the first night. Then, when that is used up, you can decide which plan, if any, to purchase.

Note that the onboard Disney Cruise app, which provides information about ship activities and allows texting between passengers, does not require a WiFi purchase. Also, note that many Apply iOS users have reported been able to text other iOS users (even those not on the ship) without a WiFi package.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mommb said:

Yes, you can purchase WiFi plans only once your are onboard. As getmetros said, for the past few years there has been an offer of 50 mb at no cost if you log onto the purchase site on the first night. Then, when that is used up, you can decide which plan, if any, to purchase.

Note that the onboard Disney Cruise app, which provides information about ship activities and allows texting between passengers, does not require a WiFi purchase. Also, note that many Apply iOS users have reported been able to text other iOS users (even those not on the ship) without a WiFi package.

The internet offered on board we found to be very slow and usually more hassle than it is worth, especially for the price point. 

In May 2019, they were testing free texting through iOS devices through iMessage on the Fantasy. I'm not sure if they are still doing this or if it expanded to other ships. We were on both the Fantasy and Dream last year and were able to text those not onboard who had iMessage. 

• 1 year later...

Has anyone tried truly working from a Disney ship? Frequent slack messages, emails, etc. I suppose Zoom audio calls are too much to ask?

Has anyone heard rumors of unlimited internet plans like on other cruise lines?

15 minutes ago, Kathamo said:

Has anyone tried truly working from a Disney ship? Frequent slack messages, emails, etc. I suppose Zoom audio calls are too much to ask?

Has anyone heard rumors of unlimited internet plans like on other cruise lines?

Well first I would ask why are you planning to work aboard a cruise?

Secondly, no, it's not possible to work on board. The internet is much too slow, entirely too unreliable and too expensive. Disney does not offer unlimited nor "per day" prices. Prices are per Mb used, which if you're not extremely careful you can run out of the 1000Mb plan in a day or less. 

• Like 1

Well not that I need to explain it to anybody, but maintaining my business requires that I at least check in once per day. An hour of emails should do it. I can’t just go totally MIA for a week. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kathamo said:

Well not that I need to explain it to anybody, but maintaining my business requires that I at least check in once per day. An hour of emails should do it. I can’t just go totally MIA for a week. 

Seems a land-based vacay might be a better fit for your situation? What if in that hour of email you see something that requires your attention but can't zoom because internet is slow and choppy? If your business truly requires your daily vigilance, JMO, you should look into vacations that have much more reliable means of communication.

On 5/24/2021 at 11:11 PM, Kathamo said:

I understand, unfortunately, DCL and most cruise ship internet is to slow to really work for even a few hours. Depending on the itinerary, you might be able to make due with finding wifi at the ports. But you won't be able to do that every day and there isn't wifi on Castaway Cay.

• Like 2