Viking Expeditions Information now on Vikings Website

X-IO1

7 hours ago, Lotusgirl22 said:

And a nice write-up in this morning's Chicago Tribune summarizing those plans, with particular focus on the Great Lakes cruises.

Great Lakes and Canada cruises are grouped with the Arctic/Antarctic expeditions. They even have one from the Arctic to Antarctica.  Worth checking out.

Wow.. Since this morning when I originally posted, the Owners Suite on the Arctic to Antarctica voyage is booked and now there is limited availability for the Explorers Suites on the same cruise.  That’s on the Polaris sailing Sept 2022.

I was just checking out the ships and itineraries.  It all looks great.  The staterooms look beautiful but I had a question.  Does anyone know what a "Nordic Balcony" is?  It doesn't look like they are actual balconies, but I wasn't sure if anyone read anything about them.  I tried searching and couldn't find anything.

Thank you.

I noticed that too JenRonn..  I looked for an answer and finding none, i concluded without evidence that it is a large picture window that may or may not open to let the sea air in.  Since the normal operating area of the Expedition Ships is to be in the colder non-tropical areas of the world, I surmised that the square footage normally assigned to outdoor balconies wouldn’t be put to use so Viking made a decision to use that space for larger cabins except for in the Explorer and Owners Suites.  And coining the term “Nordic Balcony” could provide some insight as to why an outdoor balcony wouldn’t be practical.

Again, these are only assumptions and conclusions I made with no real information to back them up.  I am wrong as often as I am right... 🙂 

Edited by X-IO1
Prose..
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, JenRonn1104 said:

I was just checking out the ships and itineraries.  It all looks great.  The staterooms look beautiful but I had a question.  Does anyone know what a "Nordic Balcony" is?  It doesn't look like they are actual balconies, but I wasn't sure if anyone read anything about them.  I tried searching and couldn't find anything.

Thank you.

Cabins

viking expedition cruises junior suiteJunior Suite with Nordic Balcony - Rendering by Viking

A first for polar expedition cruise vessels, all cabins feature a Nordic Balcony — a sunroom that converts into an al fresco viewing platform. The Nordic Balcony’s floor-to-ceiling, distortion-free glass at the edge of the ship lets guests take the views in, while keeping the elements out. The top of the panoramic glass lowers to transform the stateroom into a sheltered looking with an observation shelf at elbow level to stabilize binoculars or a camera. There are six stateroom categories to choose from, ranging in size from 222 to 1,223 square feet: Nordic Balcony, Deluxe Nordic Balcony, Nordic Penthouse, Nordic Junior Suite, Explorer Suite, and Owner’s Suite. There are no oceanview-only or interior cabins on these ships. They all have a Nordic Balcony as well as a king-size bed and large bathroom with a glass-enclosed shower, heated bathroom floor, and anti-fog mirror. Each cabin also has a drying closet that circulates warm air to dry and store clothing and expedition gear. 

• Like 2