Vegetarian

First time posting and cruising. My wife and I will be going on our first cruise on the Jewel of the Seas later this month. We look forward to having some of our meals in the Main Dining Room. Our question is, are there any vegetarian meals (no red meat, chicken or fish) on the menu for the Main Dining Room? We typically have good luck finding plenty of choices at Itilian Restaurants so we are assuming that we will enjoy Portofinos selection. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

One of our table mates a couple of weeks ago (on the Serenade) was a vegetarian, so I remember a little bit about this. One entree every night is a vegetarian selection. Also, on the alternative menu, they offer a pasta/marinara dish every night. I also believe that one of the appetizers is always a vegetarian selection, and of course there are salads. Your waiter will make you a larger salad upon request. By the way, the cold soups (watermelon gazpacho, peach soup, pear soup, apple soup, berry soup, etc) on the appetizer menu are very good. I would assume that they are all vegetarian. Sometimes, 2 of the appetizers are vegetarian. Many people order 2 (or more) appetizers since they are so small. Be sure to tell your waiter on the first night that you are a vegetarian. Our table mate did this, and he was always quick with recommendations for her. Also, you can alert RCCL ahead of time as well. I know that when you book through RCCL directly, this is under 'special dietary' needs on the web form.

Also, one night (day 2 I think) I had an entree called Truffed Wild Mushrooms Linguini Alfredo. It was VERY good. While it didn't have the little V beside it for a vegetarian selection, it didn't have any meat in it either. It did have plenty of cheese, cream, and butter in it probably.

Lake, most cruise lines have a Vegetarian menu. If you are Vegan, that may be more difficult. That is a very strict eating habit. But even then I understand the line will adjust to it and are prepared for it.

We have Vegan friends, if they visit I make them bring their own food. They do not even like the pans involved in food prep to have any touch or involvement with mammals.

You really should not have a problem.

I'm a vegetarian, and I've never had any problems finding enough to eat! :) You have fewer selections to choose from, of course. But there is always at least one entree that is vegetarian and one appetizer and one soup, etc And if that entree doesn't look good, they'll make you something special order. I've never actually done that, but the wait staff have suggested that to me in the past.

The only problem I've ever has was on Princess and on the last night of both cruises I've been on with them they served an eggplant dish that was nasty! i'm not a huge eggplant fan to begin with - but this was just like plain grilled eggplant with a mint sauce. It was awful! When I took only two bites of it the server offered to bring me something else. But I had plenty to eat without the entree! :)

Now being vegan would be much more difficult I imagine.

ETA - I was refering to the main diningroom. I've never eaten in the specialty restaurants on cruises.

Our (vegetarian) tablemate had some type of eggplant dish on the Serenade, and said it was really good. I think it was called an Eggplant Tower, or something similar. But eggplant with mint sauce? That just sounds nasty! :eek:

Speak to your Maitre'd the first night of the cruise and ask to see the menus for the entire week. If there are any nights that you think there is nothing you would like on the menu you can then ask the Maitre'd to have something prepared specially for you for that night. Just tell the Maitre'd at least one day in advance of any special order.

I'm vegetarian and typically cruise without letting Royal Caribbean know in advance - I always find something to eat! In December, I cruised the Grandeur and advised them when I made the reservation. I highly recommend this! The head waiter would come over every night with the next night's menu for me to peruse. One night, I didn't find anything appealing on the following night's menu, they remembered that I liked the onion tart appetizers from earlier in the week and suggested two of them for my entree. It was awesome!

~Debbi

I'm the aforementioned vegan...see my post today...Just off the Jewel.

As of last week they have a vege entree and appetizers) each night in the main dining room, Plus a pasta and sauce available each night.

last week our head waiter was a nitwit, so this made it somewhat difficult to get vegan selections. The Windjammmer has plenty of options. Lots of vegetables and salads. For dinner they had vege sushi, design your own pizza and design your own Mongolian grill. Breakfast and lunch in the Windjammer was no problem. I did not have lunch in the main dining room. Overall, you won't have any problems. Just get to your head waiter early and if that doesn't work, go to the dining room manager.

The Pad Thai we had last week on the Splendour is excellent.

Breakfast in the Windjammer can be a vegetarian delight. I had strawberries, bananas, oranges, tangerines, grapefruit, grapes, pineapple, and watermelon. They also had cantelope and honey dew melons.

Be sure to look in the stacked displays of whole fruit. I found some really nice special treats like star fruits, kiwi and mango.

Plenty of yogurt, cereals and breads as well. I stuck with fruits and yogurt all week.

Archived