Blocking booking for max capacity

Bornagaintraveller

What the OP described was my experience just booking a 2021 cruise on the Constellation. My family of 4 is traveling with my parents, and we couldn't get cabins next to each other because of this practice. It's more of a mild annoyance than anything else. In past cruises, we've always been able to get adjacent cabins. It's been nice to be able to remove the class, play cards on the deck, send the kids (teen/tween) over to visit, etc. 

6 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Each ship has a maximum passenger capacity that won't be increased because of this approach. It's my understanding that most cruises sail at or close to maximum capacity, in which case I doubt that they will seem more crowded going forward.

I don’t think I have ever sailed on a ship that’s maxed out, I generally ( apart from this next Christmas where I’m prepared for a busier time) choose quieter times, ie out of spring break, school summer holidays etc, I have also in the past possibly chosen more destination over vacation trips so it’s older people who never want to double up in cabins therefor the cruises have been busy or full but not max. I have in 25 years of cruising only met one adult who was sharing a room with 2 others and that was a suite so where are all these sofa surfers? 

1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

The Aqua Class cabins are all for 2 guests. IDK if that's an option you'd consider, but it's an option. Sometimes the cost differential between Aqua and Veranda is huge, and sometimes minimal. It's worth a look.

Yeah we looked at that too. The pricing shifts were  off the chart on this cruise, no sense. We did Aqua in October and loved it.  The problem on this cruise I’m trying to book started with offering an upgrade to balcony if you booked ocean view so they sold out quick. Great if you booked early enough but this one I left later than usual and therefor was so little left. I mean it not a massive deal but this was a present from a relative who is coming too so I wanted to keep the costs as low as I could. Anyways I think I got it sorted now x 

5 hours ago, Bretty said:

Of course, the other side of this conundrum is that families looking for 3/4 berth cabins, and there are obviously plenty, stand a chance of booking their cruise of choice if those cabins have been kept back for that very purpose.

To the OP, with regards the legality of this practice, it certainly isn’t illegal - the cruise line can determine to allocate cabins and offer them for sale as they see fit. Better that than someone book a 4 berth cabin for 2 only to get bumped later on because a family of 4 want to book, and you then find yourself without choice in the matter or choice of where you’re moved to.

At least in the current scenario you still have choice. It’s a more limited choice, yes, but there is still choice.

It’s an odd thing though, I’ve just booked a S2 on Apex for 2021 that is showing as a 3/4 berth but booked for 2. Which demonstrates there is not necessarily any logic to this policy!

Yes you are correct no logic, the last 3 cabins I had could all have accommodated 4. I also see the logic that some cabins could be set aside but not ALL the 3/4 berths surely? When I wish to book a Balcony cabin for 2 of us and the website says there are no longer any available it’s beyond frustrating when I count 249 Balcony cabins not yet booked.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Bornagaintraveller said:

I have in 25 years of cruising only met one adult who was sharing a room with 2 others and that was a suite so where are all these sofa surfers?

Well, I'll take your word for it, but there are countless posts by Cruise Critic members indicating cabin occupancy by three or four people. I guess that none of these passengers sailed on any of your cruises, or maybe you just haven't spoken to any of them. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Very odd.  I always book a cabin that holds 3-4 people since I prefer the bed by the bathroom, never had a problem.  Current booking is for a C1 cabin that can hold 3 people.  Only time I’ve ever seen this is with the Family verandah.