Info for families of 5 that you may find useful

klarocco

I did my once in a lifetime Family vacation last year... a 3 1/2 week vacation in Maui with an ocean front condo, right smack on the beach. I could throw an ice cube into the ocean from our balcony. This whole trip, including airfare for 5, car rental, food, and pleanty of booze...:D was a bit over $8,000. We did not pay for any excursions. We didn't need to. Too much to do on your own.

I really wanted to do a family cruise, but the numbers just don't work for me. I've got to get a better paying job, I guess...:cool:

Wow... We are a family of 5, and the way I calculate it, it costs at least $1000 per person for a family of 5 to cruise, including air ($300 per person), tips, cruise price, and soda cards. Am I wrong... can a family of 5 actually cruise for less than this on a 7 day cruise...?

Isn't $5,000 a lot for a week long family vacation...? What's the norm as far as total cost for a family of 5 to cruise together...?

We're going for slightly less than that - I got a phenomenal deal on airfare! WAY less than $300/person including the taxes etc! (Besides I don't usually "count" airfare since I am going to spend that wherever I go anyway - land or sea - I just need to get the heck out of here!)

We are on an inside cabin (just one cabin). Got a good deal with the past guest promo. That same category cabin is up more than a hundred dollars per person now.

I look at it this way, it is WAY cheaper than a land vacation of the same quality. Ever done a Disney theme park for instance, and been nickel and dimed (make that $10'd and $20'd) to death every time you want to eat!?! That annoys me!! Cruises are WAY more relaxing to me as a mom. We all get to do what we want and still get to be together! I don't have to be shelling out money ever other minute when someone wants something!! I just like paying for it ahead of time. Souveniers are also cheaper on cruise vacations!! You can barter most anything! LOL Disney water bottle/fan $15.99 Huh?!?! Ridiculous. Ice cream sandwich $4.50 Ugh!!

If we were on a land vacation, we would spend more/same but only be eating at places like Applebee's/Perkins and McD's.

I am a bargain shopper that is obsessive/compulsive about finding deals online and making a few phone calls!! I have a price in mind that I am willing to pay for everything from airfare, to car rental, to hotel to cruise ships. I find it too!! (I have a vacation fund that gets contributed to on a regular basis...we go with $X amount and everytime, we've come home with $ left over and still had a FABULOUS time and didn't skimp on a single thing!!! Then that money is the beginning of the next vacation that needs to be planned :) )

If you don't have loyalties to certain airlines, car rental companies, hotels and (gasp) cruise lines...there are deals that you can't beat taking advantage of!! And you can have some phenomenal vacations for your kids to take part of!

Venture - With 5 in one cabin (which you can do on the older ships, up to Destiny-class), the cost isn't quite as much since you pay slightly less for the 3rd-5th pax in the cabin. Crowded? Can be, but we managed to stagger shower/dressing time well enough that it wasn't a problem for us. And since we booked a balcony on Victory, DH and I could always retreat there!

On the Spirit class ships, Cabin 6112(Balcony for two) and 6108(Interion for three) are adjoining. This would work well for small kids since you would not have to worry about a balcony in the kids room, and would be a little cheaper. Of course if you have the money, 4237(Cat 11) and adjoining 4239(balcony for three) would work.

Just called Carnival on that combo....On ALL the Spirit class ships although 6108 OR 6112 if coded as a triple it IS NOT! I'm bummed!!....She said it may at one time been a triple but no more :(

The new Liberty ship has "Family Cabins" on the Spa deck. They are the size of a balcony cabin but the balcony is part of the room. They have floor to ceiling windows. That makes them a bit larger than aeither a balcony or OV. I also heard they can book up to 5 in a room.

According to the deck plans, they have ajoining rooms also which would give you two rooms for 10 people.

We are booked in one of these at the end of feb 2006. Will post a room review after that.

The Liberty cannot hold five in any of it's cabins, just so you know.

Archived