Hamburg - Steinwerder to City Centre

bhsolo

I'm hoping someone can confirm if what I am thinking is actually correct. My ship will be docking at Steinwerder (RCL Anthem) and I'm trying to figure out how I can get into Hamburg on my own. From my searching the 73 ferry from Argentinienbrucke looks to be my best option and then I can walk to City Hall, St. Nicholas church, and meander around. Then walk to Landungsbrücken pier and walk through and to Alter Elbtunnel. Is that correct or am I wrong, especially on the last part as Google Maps isn't being very helpful? If that is correct would I need to take the ferry back to Argentinienbrucke or can I walk back to Steinwerder?

The ferry schedule says it runs every 20 minutes, but is that accurate? Can I purchase a ticket ahead of time? 

Thank you for any and all help!

• 3 weeks later...

Steinwerder is lousily connected with the public transport. From Steinwerder terminal you have to walk 15 min to Argentinienbrücke to catch a ferry or bus - if they run. Public transport in the harbour area is aimed at commuters, so they run scarcely outside commuting hours and not at all on weekends or public holidays.

The 73 ferry sails to Landungsbrücken, where you can change to U-Bahn or S-Bahn. Alter Elbtunnel also starts near Landungsbrücken. From the south side of the tunnel it would be a 45 to 60 min walk through not too exciting harbour area. There is a bus 156 from the Elbtunnel to Argentinienbrücke, too.

Best refer to the website of public transport https://www.hvv.de/en. Enter "Argentinienbrücke" as starting and "Steinwerder (Alter Elbtunnel)" or "Landungsbrücken" as destination.

You can buy tickets with the bus driver, at vending machines on the ferry or large station, or online, just browse the hvv site. I would recommend the day ticket (or 9am-day ticket, if applicable), which allows you unlimited hop-on-hop-off on all S-Bahn, U-Bahn, busses and harbour ferries (even some local trains) within Hamburg city limits. 

Oooph what a pain. Thank you, I will definitely check out the public transport site but was wondering if you had any other ideas for how to get into Hamburg? Are taxis cheap and easily available or really is my figuring out the public transit the way to go?