Somers Day in Bermuda

NewSalt

We’ve just learned that our day in Bermuda will be the second day of the Somers Day holiday. In the past my DGSs  have enjoyed going to Horseshoe Bay or the aquarium , but I understand that the buses and ferry would be on a holiday schedule and that few taxis will be available. 

Does anyone know what the options will be during the holiday?  The ship’s excursion to Horseshoe Bay, expensive as it is, isn’t even available.

That day is part of Cup Match. July 30 and July 31.  Thursday is Emancipation Day, Friday is Somers Day and the festivities extend to Saturday and Sunday. The Cricket Matches are on Thursday and Friday. Public buses will run on a holiday schedule. The ferries will run on their regular schedule. The aquarium and caves will be open. Most shops will be closed. Never been there on those dates so I don’t know the taxi situation. There are private minibus shuttles that run from the Dockyard to Horseshoe and back. The public bus will be on holiday schedule but are still an option. I expect because it is a holiday Horseshoe will be packed. I have seen pictures and it was wall to walk people. Bermudians camp out on the beach on that holiday.  While I love Horseshoe I don’t think I would personally go on that holiday. I would look at a catamaran or other water excursion from the Dockyard. Or if the cruise line has a caves excursion or homes of the famous that would be an option. 

Edited by Charles4515

• 4 weeks later...

Friday is now Mary Prince Day ( https://www.gov.bm/articles/mary-prince-day).  The 2 days are called Cup Match, a truly unique Bermudian holiday. Go to the game, if you want a truly wonderful Bermudian experience, go to the game. And both ferries and buses run on public holiday schedule.

Edited by Coli
Typo.

11 minutes ago, Coli said:

Friday is now Mary Prince Day ( https://www.gov.bm/articles/mary-prince-day).  The 2 days are called Cup Match, a truly unique Bermudian holiday. Go to the game, if you want a truly wonderful Bermudian experience, go to the game. And both ferries and buses run on public holiday schedule.

This year it is still Somers Day. It is not renamed Mary Prince Day until 2021.  Public buses run on a holiday schedule. Past practice has been that ferries run on their regular schedules. 

We were there for Cup Match in 2013. We arrived on Wednesday and tents were popping up everywhere as the day went on. I found it fascinating that people camped everywhere. On Thursday, we took a taxi to Warwick Long Bay, which was practically deserted. We hung out for a few hours, then walked back to Horseshoe Bay, which was a zoo. It was about a mile walk and it was wonderful! Lots of little deserted beaches to check out and plenty of beautiful sightseeing. We took a taxi back to the ship from Horseshoe Bay. On Friday, we took a taxi to our jetski excursion near Somerset Bridge. We spent much more in transportation because we exclusively used taxis (which there was never an issue getting) The buses weren't practical because of the holiday schedule. Of course, this was before the mini-bus beach shuttle, so I don't know about that. All-in-all, I would not choose to book a cruise that week unless the increased transportation expenses were not an issue, but it was still a fantastic trip.

IMG_4849.JPG

IMG_4901.JPG

IMG_4956.JPG