Activities/Beach In/Near Civitavecchia w/ 4+8 yo Kids?

Andrisk123

We will stop at Civitavecchia during a Mediterranean cruise in August, with two active kids aged 4 and 8. Going to Rome on a cruise line tour is out of the question (our kids would get bored and tired and since we live in Europe, spending around 800 USD for a day trip to Rome is kind of stupid since we could basically book flights+hotel for a weekend for roughly the same price) and we are doubtful about going into Rome on our own due to the hassle and the crowds (however it is a long stop in port, we arrive at 7 AM and depart at 10 PM, so it would of course be doable).

From the information I can gather online, Civitavecchia basically has nothing to offer us, more than maybe an hour or two for a stroll in town and some ice cream on land in case we stay on the ship. But are there maybe any activities closer by (for example, reachable by taxi?) that would be suitable for us? Are there maybe some beaches somewhere close that we can reach? 

There are beaches nearby, Santa Marinella (one train station south of the port) is probably the nicest.

There is also a waterpark, Aquafelix, a short cab ride from the port (about 7 km/4.5 miles).  Their web site is here:  https://www.aquafelix.it/

I would still consider going into Rome, if only for a few hours.  It's quite easy and inexpensive to get there on your own using the train, given the heat and crowds of the summer perhaps you could focus on one thing that might capture the attention of your kids (the Colosseum?), then head back to the port area for the waterpark or the beach.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

There are beaches nearby, Santa Marinella (one train station south of the port) is probably the nicest.

There is also a waterpark, Aquafelix, a short cab ride from the port (about 7 km/4.5 miles).  Their web site is here:  https://www.aquafelix.it/

I would still consider going into Rome, if only for a few hours.  It's quite easy and inexpensive to get there on your own using the train, given the heat and crowds of the summer perhaps you could focus on one thing that might capture the attention of your kids (the Colosseum?), then head back to the port area for the waterpark or the beach.

Thanks a lot for your reply - both the beach and the waterpark look great! 

Regarding Rome we are undecided and probably will decide on the day we get there. Since I´ve been to Rome I´ll let my wife decide, however right now we are both leaning towards rest & relax.