Which is best beach and how far?

Kim

We are cruising to Curacao next week and could someone please tell me which would be the best beach we could visit, how far from the ship it would be and maybe even approximately what the taxi would cost? Maybe there is someone out there that has done the same "beach day" before??

Thanks so much!

Kim, I don't know about the "best" beach, but we went to Playa Porto Mari last spring and had a great time. We're snorkelers, and had our own equipment, and the snorkeling was good. The park has a nice sandy beach. There is a small entrance fee, which includes one drink(there's a beach bar). There is a charge of, I believe, $3 for a lounge chair. There was a group of 8 of us from the ship that took a taxi van, and I believe it was $20 pp. We were only planning to be at the beach for a couple of hours, since we had an afternoon excursion, so our taxi driver waited for us. The ride from the new pier was about 20 minutes. It might be a few minutes longer from the pier near the floating bridge. Here's the website for the park:

http://www.playaportomari.com/

• 3 weeks later...
Kim, I don't know about the "best" beach, but we went to Playa Porto Mari last spring and had a great time. We're snorkelers, and had our own equipment, and the snorkeling was good. The park has a nice sandy beach. There is a small entrance fee, which includes one drink(there's a beach bar). There is a charge of, I believe, $3 for a lounge chair. There was a group of 8 of us from the ship that took a taxi van, and I believe it was $20 pp. We were only planning to be at the beach for a couple of hours, since we had an afternoon excursion, so our taxi driver waited for us. The ride from the new pier was about 20 minutes. It might be a few minutes longer from the pier near the floating bridge. Here's the website for the park:

http://www.playaportomari.com/

You've been very informative! This is exactly where I want to go! Since we have no other plans for the day, would it be better to rent a car and drive ourselves to Playa Porto Mari?

Renting a car would probably be less expensive, as your taxi ride would be at least $40 for the two of you. Plus it would allow you to do things at your own pace. However, we've never done a car rental on Curacao, so can't help you there. Have a great time!

Renting a car would probably be less expensive, as your taxi ride would be at least $40 for the two of you. Plus it would allow you to do things at your own pace. However, we've never done a car rental on Curacao, so can't help you there. Have a great time!

Thanks for the info! Now, I'm looking for rental cars... :)

• 4 weeks later...

Also consider KonTiki Beach. Much closer than Playa Porto Mari and awesome! $4 pp taxi, $3 admission.

White sand, turquoise water, protected by reef, restaurant, bar, massage hut, chairs, great snorkeling/diving outside of reef. One of the best beaches we saw on our cruise last week.

Hi there, Lesx2-

Transportation to Kon Tiki was only 4 dollars per person?

Not going to visit until December, but have taken notes like crazy.;)

Somebody recently posted that cabs were $30 R/T for two. Did you go in a group? (larger than 2?)

After reading your report, I'm certain that that's where we're headed. Sounds lovely. Just curious about cabs in Curacao. (Per person or per cab). :)

Did you happen to drink any beer/mixed drinks? Prices?

Many thanks. :)

Archived