QE2 + QM2 = 'Genesis'

guernseyguy

I know this is the Cunard board, but RCL have just announced a contract for a ship that will be, at 220,000 tonnes as big as the QE2 and QM2 combined, and carry around 1000 more passengers.....

For a press release see here: http://www.akerfinnyards.com/press.cfm?ID=260

And an image: http://www.akerfinnyards.com/image.cfm?i=175&s=m

(I don't know how to get the image to post directly......)

Peter, still wondering where Button 'B' went......

One can only hope that the powers to be at Cunard realize that they have a niche in the market that can be nutured not turned away by actually keeping the QE2 beyond the dreaded 2010 date and even building another real ocean liner with the traditional class of the QE2. Given the cattle boats now under construction there will be a market for the first class smaller ship of yesteryear.

One can only hope that the powers to be at Cunard realize that they have a niche in the market that can be nutured not turned away by actually keeping the QE2 beyond the dreaded 2010 date and even building another real ocean liner with the traditional class of the QE2. Given the cattle boats now under construction there will be a market for the first class smaller ship of yesteryear.

When I drive a car, I want to feel the road. When I am on a ship, I don't want to think I am sitting in my living room, no matter how fancy that Livingroom is, or how good the service. I am like the WCCers who were sad to take the southern (calmer) route. If I'm not rocking and rolling, I want my money back! I want an E ticket ride (you youngsters, ask your Moms and Dads to explain <G>)

Marc and I always joke he is going to invent something to gently rock my house back and forth, as though I were being cradled to sleep each night in the arms of Mother Ocean, with the breezes murmuring my lullabies. I miss that so much, for weeks after I get off a ship. There's nothing else in the world quite like it. Although I do like the clacking and rocking of most train rides.

And I don't want to walk through three counties and two zip codes to get to dinner and the Commdore Lounge each night! (though lord knows, I could use the exercise!) By the time I get there, the events are half over!

Give me a small intimate ship where I can feel that I am at sea, not in some sensory deprivation egg!

Karie,

Feeling very deprived... of my nice gently rocking ship... right now

The question is would they build a true ocean liner that was not intended to be used for Atlantic crossings, and could they sell them in addition to QM2.

David.

The question is would they build a true ocean liner that was not intended to be used for Atlantic crossings, and could they sell them in addition to QM2. David.

I wonder if they plan to use the Queen Vic for shoulder season transatlantics....but not at 22 knots......lets face it, the last 'pair' of transatlantic liners were the original Queens.....and the QE2/France tandem operation didn't last long......

Peter

Interesting design, but .... where is the boat deck? I don't see any promenade areas around the perimeter of the ship. The lifeboats look to be dangling in mid air along the side, only about 35 feet above sea level. Seems like the worst waves of the Atlantic could pick them off. I wonder how people will be able to get on board them when tendering into the ports? Intriguing look, though.

Paul

Interesting design, but .... where is the boat deck? I don't see any promenade areas around the perimeter of the ship. The lifeboats look to be dangling in mid air along the side, only about 35 feet above sea level. Seems like the worst waves of the Atlantic could pick them off. I wonder how people will be able to get on board them when tendering into the ports? Intriguing look, though.

Paul

Glad I am not the only one who looked at that design and projected a 35 foot sea as taking out the life boats and at least one or two decks of balconies. Maybe that is part of the excitement level planned. Somehow cruising in a 14 story building just doesn't do it for me.

You know, seeing that picture made me think- RCCL is known for being the fisrt modern ship to put in an ice skating rink- for cruisng the Caribbean? Well, if Tampa can win the Stanley Cup...)

That ship looks like it is SKATING on (thin?) ice!

Karie.

BRRR!

Looks top heavy to me.

Is size important?

I cannot imagine 4500 passengers on a ship.

Imagine waiting for an elevator!

Or Customs!

No thank you!

That ship needs two zip codes!

Karie!

Uh,unh!

QM2 did not strike me as that big, even though I prefer the old Cunard Crown size of 800 passengers. QM2 seemed just about right! (Except when traipsing from the Brittania ALLLLLL the way to the Commodore after wearing high heels. So, I carried my shoes. Much better!)

The cruise industry's competition to build bigger and bigger and bigger and to quest after the elusive PR prize of having the biggest and best and whatever other superlatives will apply makes me wonder if ships as we have known them will ever exist anymore. Queen Mary 2 is already several degrees of separation removed, and Queen Victoria will be even more so. I agree with Tumeroll and others who appreciate and recognize the need to save and continue to build smaller, classic ships. Until that happens, I can only paraphrase, and with all due respect, the words from a familiar national anthem,

...God save our gracious Queen ...Elizabeth 2!

Anyone care to join in the chorus?

Right now there is a poll going on here about Genesis and "how big is too big". I thought I'd share my responses with my friends here on the Cunard board:

1. Is the proposed Genesis class ship too big? Yes

2. Would you cruise on it? No

3. Tell us why or why not?

Well, I might take a cruise in her if it was free, but that's about it!

I find it very difficult to get to know passengers and crew on very large ships and in my experience food and service often suffer as well. Even on board ships in the upper reaches of the Panamax size range, I've often found it difficult to meet many passengers beyond the ones at my dinner table, or have personal contact with any crew members beyond my own dining room and cabin stewards. It's a very cold, impersonal experience.

My one cruise in VOYAGER OF THE SEAS was interesting, and I'm glad I did it once "for the experience", but I have no desire to repeat that experience, let alone in a ship like Genesis which will be even much more monstrous than the already far-too-big (for me) VOYAGER.

The ONLY very large ship I actually like is QM2, and I doubt I'd take her on anything other than an Atlantic crossing, which is VERY different from a cruise and where a big ship actually makes sense. When ports begin to get involved, big ships make sense for cruise lines interested in economies of scale, but little sense for passengers, or at least passengers like me who don't care about fripperies like skating rinks or 15 different alternative restaurants.

To me, 700 passengers and 30,000 GT or so is just about perfect for a cruise ship. The upper limit I try to adhere to is around 1,500 passengers or 70,000 GT, but it keeps going up simply because there are so few "human-scaled" that one can sail in these days without breaking the bank!

A liner (like QM2) is a different story, but even for a liner, QM2 is pushing it... And for me, something the size of Genesis would be too big even if she were a liner and not a cruise ship, while as a cruise ship, something that size strikes me as utterly ridiculous. But obviously the masses like their huge ships (or think they do, having maybe never tried something smaller), and who am I to tell them not to?

4. What features and amenities that don't exist yet on cruise ships would you propose?

None! I may sound like some kind of masochist but cruise ships have too many features and amenities already. The essentials of a good cruise are being lost among this veritable sea of "features" of highly questionable value.

The experience provided on many new mega-ships is like a car that has a lot of "features" but doesn't run particularly well! I don't care HOW many features a ship has if that ship can't get the basics right - and in my experience, the "features" of today's big ships just serve to distract passengers from the fact that the overall experience that usually tends towards the mediocre. But sadly, most passengers are too busy ogling the new "features" to that the cruise lines are forgetting how to get the basics right!

This presents an ideal situation for cruise lines - not only are big ships cheaper to run, their "features" cause passengers to accept a lower-quality product and yet be happier than ever before!

But to me the best features are a happy, genuinely caring crew, interesting and personable fellow passengers, good food, good enrichment programs and the like. These are all things that have little to do with the size of the ship, and that often have an inverse relationship with the "features" that are now proliferating rapidly in the mass-market cruise segment.

5. What existing features and amenities (Royal Caribbean and any other line for that matter) would you like to see on the new ship?

Isn't this question rather academic? I'm sure they'll all be there, and more!

6. Do you care about destinations at all on a ship like this? No

7. What would be the optimal itinerary for the ship? Other (please provide details)

Comments (if you answered "Other" for question 7):

She should anchor in International Waters off Florida for a week, with passengers "tendering" to various Caribbean islands on 10,000 GT day cruise ships!

And finally, tell us about yourself:

Number of cruises: I'm beginning to lose track!

Favorite line and favorite ship:

Favorite line: Holland America Line

Favorite ship of all time: ROTTERDAM (V)

Favorite ship currently in service: QUEEN ELIZABETH 2

Favorite "modern" ship: ROTTERDAM (VI)

Cruise Critic User Name: Host Doug

So there you have them - my thoughts on "how big is too big"...

Archived