Am I The Only One Who Notices?

itsrocky94

Hi! So, I am looking for a last minute cruise. Norwegian has the best itinerary right now as I am cutting it close. I've always wanted to stay in their studio cabin and I still really do. When I did my research, literally every forum and most people said the studios were great and are cheaper than interior cabins and that its cheaper because you don't get hit with the double  occupancy "tax", but literally... every single itinerary that has studio cabins are at least double the price of an interior and when I go to mock pay the interior, I am not charged for being a single passenger and the interior cabins stayed at least 45% cheaper than all the inside cabins. I really wanted to try a studio, but I don't get it.... Like the itinerary I want to take has studio cabins at $789 and interior cabins at $277. 

What am I missing? What is it I'm not understanding? Everyone says studios are cheaper but... I don't know. Do you know why? and do you think a studio is still work the extra? Thanks!! :)

You're not missing anything, you're just looking so last minute that NCL has slashed the double occupancy rate to a solo rate for regular cabins. NCL has made a decision to not slash rates on studios beyond a certain point, so any slash and burn prices are on interior cabins - and sometimes oceanview and balcony - while studios don't go below a floor that seems to be around $600-700 for a 7 day cruise. 

However, one thing to make note of is the studios still get a free at sea perk. Whereas the bargain basement prices are often sailaway rates meaning they get no promos and you can't choose your cabin. So it's likely $277 with no perks and possibly a bad location or $789 with a drink package and pick your room. Though sometimes they have cheaper rates that aren't sailaway rates so you still get the promos.

Studios are almost universally cheaper before final payment (120 days out). You can sometimes, but not always find an inside room cheaper less than 30 days out (for example my cruise to Alaska in May last year I booked 33 days out and the inside not only wasn't cheaper but continued to increase in price while the studios ended up down another $100). Between 120-30 it's a toss up that's too variant based on many things (ship, itinerary, time of year, how sold out a sailing is, etc) to say what will be cheaper. 

Edited by smplybcause

It is all about the last minute purchase. I don’t think it happens often but last year when I bought the trip on the Escape 5 days prior to sailing they actually placed me in a studio room (minus perks) On many ships you will find lots of singles who wait for the last minute when they remove the single supplement on inside rooms. 

Even if you are not in a studio room you can still join the solo meetups which are sometimes located in the lounge depending on ship.