How does this look

mumom95

Ok, I've been reading these boards for about six months, asking questions and planning our trip. Here is what we have come up with, what do all you experienced Alaska travelers think about it:

Tuesday July 18 - Fly Cincinnati to Anchorage, first class (free using frequent flyer miles) Land around 2:30, pick up Rental car ($280 for the week) and drive to Seward, stay at the Holiday Inn (free using hotel points)

Wednesday 19th - Kenai fjords boat trip 11-5:30 (2 for 1 with toursaver), afterwards drive back to Anchorage and stay at Hampton Inn (free using hotel points, which is why we are driving back up to Anchorage that night, so we can use hotel points and it won't cost us anything)

Thursday 20th - Drive to Talkeetna, Mt. McKinley Flight seeing at 11:00 (2 for 1 with toursaver) spend the rest of the day driving and sightseeing up to Denali. Stay at Lakeview Inn in Healy.

Friday 21st - 5:30 am shuttle to Fish creek, 8:30 pm reservations at the Cabin nite dinner theater (2 for 1 with toursaver). Overnight at Lakeview Inn.

Saturday 22nd - Leisure day, enjoying area, 2:00 Paddle Rafting trip with Nenana Raft adventures (2 for 1 with toursaver). Overnight at Lakeview Inn.

Sunday 23rd - morning tour of dog sled camp spend rest of the day driving back to Anchorage, overnight at Anchorage Hampton Inn (free with hotel points)

Monday 24th Princess transfer Anchorage-Whittier, board Coral princess.

Tuesday 25th - College fjord

Wednesday 26th - Glacier Bay

Thursday 27th - Skagway - pick up Avis rental car at 8:00, drive to Emerald lake and back, drip off rental car, do White pass rail exercusion at 4:30

Friday 28th - Juneau - Glacier Trekk with NorthStar at 10:00

Saturday 29th - Ketchikan - don't have anything planned here. We may be exhausted by this time and just want to walk around the city, if not we will see what excursions we can still sign up for and decide at that time.

Sunday 30 - Sea day

Monday 31st - 1:00 flight Vancouver to Cincinnati first class (free again using frequent flyer miles)

So, what do you think? I realize we have a lot packed into the first couple of days, but we are both in our early 30's, in good shape and are just going to be so excited to be on a vacation without the kids that I have a feeling our adrenaline will keep us going :). Plus plane rides put me right to sleep so I have a feeling I'll be sleeping most of the way to Alaska.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Very nice plan. But I would do a morning Kenai fjords boat trip if available. Your timing could be better and the priority not so based on the free stuff perhaps, which would offer better touring. It is less than ideal to drive back to Anchorage in the evening, little time for the ad lib stops. Same with you going there your day of arrival maybe. Try and sleep on the plane. :) And have a great time!!!!

Archived