Machu Picchu Extension

njalice

The M.P. extension following the Xpeditions Galapagos cruise is from Monday - Thursday, with one night in Lima and two in Cusco, and the train trip from Cusco to M.P. How is the M.P. excursion from Millennium set up?

Our trip is only 3 days with a flight from Arica to Cuzco. We have several tours there with a buffet dinner and folkloric show that evening. After breakfast at the hotel, we are transferred to the Orient Express train for the ride to MP. We board a bus to the ruins and have a guided tour all day.

Buffet lunch at the MP hotel. As the sun sets, we will board the Orient Express for our return trip.During this ride we will be served a 4 course dinner with wine and cocktails in the dinning car. They also say there will be live entertainment during dinner. Sound good, right?

I had a look at Celebrity's website for the Milli tour - one of the differences is that the M.P. excursion is during your cruise, so in place of eating and sleeping on-board, you are on land for those 3 days/2 nights. The Xpeditions Galapagos M.P. excursion follows the cruise, and tacks on an extra 3 nights, on top of the 10 day cruise-tour. Otherwise, tours, meals, hotels, etc. are all pretty much the same.

I see that you have the option of two tours ... regular or deluxe - the Galapagos extension does the deluxe version, plus sightseeing in Lima, Guayaquil, extra night, etc., etc, so the price really gets up there! It was interesting comparing the excursions...and I've learned something new:)

I had a look at Celebrity's website for the Milli tour - one of the differences is that the M.P. excursion is during your cruise, so in place of eating and sleeping on-board, you are on land for those 3 days/2 nights. The Xpeditions Galapagos M.P. excursion follows the cruise, and tacks on an extra 3 nights, on top of the 10 day cruise-tour. Otherwise, tours, meals, hotels, etc. are all pretty much the same.

I see that you have the option of two tours ... regular or deluxe - the Galapagos extension does the deluxe version, plus sightseeing in Lima, Guayaquil, extra night, etc., etc, so the price really gets up there! It was interesting comparing the excursions...and I've learned something new:)

We are doing the delux version. That is why we get the Orient Express.

• 6 months later...

We are in the midst of planning for our trip in spring 2007. I have looked at Condor Travel, Ladatco, Peru Discover, Southern Explorations, Lets go Peru, Peru Expeditions, Adventure Center. Any reviews of any of these outfits? We tend to like Condor Travel (Ladatco seemed pretty pricey but also very good), and others. Any reviews (good and bad)--for example, arrangements, meeting you, guides, etc. Thanks.

My sons did a trip to Machu Picchu this summer. They used SAS Travel and they said they were fabulous and unbelievably inexpensive. They said the food they served each day was better than anything they've had on a cruise ship! They absolutely loved it! And they said the guides were the absolute best. A friend of their's had gone with this company before and highly recommended it. They weren't disappointed. The link to their website is below:

http://www.sastravelperu.com/

I can not say enough good things about Condor Travel. I used them to handle a group of about 30 that had varying itineraries to MAPI and then later a trip for my DH and myself. The valve (cost vs. what you get) was the highest of any of the companies that I researched. They have representatives to meet you at every point along the trip and lodging to suit every budget.

Archived