Machu Picchu Extension

njalice

Hi,

I am currently researching Celebrity Xpedition to the Galapagos this summer. I was also interested in extending the trip to include Machu Picchu. I did a search and saw that Latin Discover was recommeded. I was wondering what anyone who has used them has thought.

Thanks,

Alice

Alice - I am researching this now as we are planning to stay on after the Galapagos Xpedition trip. I'm debating whether we can fit a trip to M.P. in from Monday to Saturday. I've contacted a travel agent in Toronto who specializes in S.A. travel (thanks Emdee!) & who is helping me with the following arrangements:

Monday - Quito to Lima

Tuesday - Lima to Cusco

Wednesday - to M.Picchu (overnight)

Thursday - return to Cusco

Friday - Cusco to Lima

Saturday (midnight) - Lima to Toronto.

Emdee - since you have done this trip, do you think this sounds too rushed?

Alice & Marilyn....there is lots of good info on Tripadvisor.

Thanks Emdee! I've reserved a spot on the Xpedtion's Galapagos and Machu Picchu combo trip for this August (room 301). I've read a lot about how wonderful the Galapagos trip is, but I haven't heard many people talk about the Machu Picchu "excursion" that Celebrity offers as a tack-on to the Xpedition/Galapagos experience. How did you find the experience...would you do it again? How large of a group did you have? Was it only with people who were on the Xpedition? Any sickness from food or altitude? How was the weather when you were there in August? Any particular advice or words of wisdom to offer about either the galapagos or machu picchu?

Sorry to overwhelm you with questions...I'm excited to have found someone who has done the trip before!

Thanks!!

Fabs - did you book your Xpedition and M.Picchu trip directly with Celebrity. I didn't realize they put a combo-package together, but have seen it advertised by a travel agent who I assumed was doing the M.P. part through another company?

thanks,

Susan, I think your schedule is just fine.

We stayed overnight at the sacred valley and it wasnt needed.

Consider getting off at the train at the sacred valley on your return from MP and having a car pick you up show you some of the sacred valley sights and then drive on to Cuzco. The journey by car is much shorter than the train though one has to use the train up to Ollantaytambo.

Stay at the Country Club in Lima - it was wonderful. We also booked a car from the company which Carlin fixed us up with in Lima for touring and that was convenient and reasonable. Went to lunch at lovely restaurant overlooking an architectural dig.

At Cuzco go for dinner to the Museum restaurant - its across the street if you are staying at the monasterio.

Dont forget to take your medication for the altitude - we felt we needed it and even had the Monasterio pump Oxygen the first night for our sleep.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Miriam

Miriam... thanks so much again for your help! I'm just waiting to see what Carlin puts together for us and if we go ahead with it, I'm sure I'll have more questions for you.

Fabs - I was 'blown away' when I saw the M.Picchu extension now being offered by Celebrity. When I booked our trip in mid Jan. all that was available was the 7, 10, and 11 day Galapagos/Quito trips. I called Celebrity (as I booked directly with them) to see if adding it on was an option for us ... we can include it, but the extra cost of $7500 for the two of us for the M.P. portion seems a little high, although with flights, hotels, tours, food, train, etc. all included, it might not be unreasonable. I'll compare what we can do on our own vs. Celebrity's plan and then decide which way to go. The one nice thing about Celebrity's trip is that you don't have to return to Quito, and can be in Lima on the Monday.

Fabs, I didnt do it with the cruise line but planned it myself.

I did the usual ten day trip with Celeb. The Mapi part I planned myself. Gave me greater flexibility to do what I wanted when I wanted.

Susan, when you go to MAPI dont go on the group tour. It only costs 30 or so for a private guide and you will be able to enjoy the moment at your own pace.

When we got to MAPI we had lunch and freshened up after the journey. Only at 2.30 did we go to the site where we walked around with our own guide until 5.30. By 5 or so a lot of the visitors leave so one can truly enjoy the place. Then we went again the next morning. With very few visitors it was a glorious morning.

Miriam

Miriam,

where did you stay at MP? The Celebrity trip doesn't include an overnight there and I thought it might be a bit rushed to go there and back in one day since the train ride is 3+ hours??

thanks,

Sorry, just went back and read your previous posts.... I see that you stayed at the Sanctuary.

Susan,The train ride was quite tiring especially as the altitude effects one.

Once we got to MAPI we were OK. Both the Sanctuary and Monasterio are well worth it. The convenience of the Sanctuary cannot be beaten.

I think our total bill with Carlin was about $10,000 Canadian for the three of us and that included air for the whole trip - TO to LIma to Cuzco back to Quito and then back to TO after the cruise. Hotels in Lima, Cuzco and MAPI ,as well as one night in the sacred valley, train ride, pick up and drop offs to airport hotel etc, tours of Cuzco and the Sacred Valley. All the hotels give you breakfast and the Sanctuary included all meals,

The agent we used was Lourdes and I found her excellent.

At the Quito Marriott we were very careful - took a greyhound tour to see Cotapaxi otherwise used the hotel owned taxis. Quito is quite a dangerous place. A colleague of mine from here was severely beaten up there around the time we were visiting.

Miriam

Hi guys, hope this helps:

I am a climber and married to a Peruvian and we visit regularly (she will be there again next week for a couple of weeks)

Firstly, PLEASE do figure some time into your schedule for aclimatisation. I have seen to many people become ill with altitude sickness in Cusco and have the trip ruined as they have to spend the time in bed untill they can be transported down. I normally recomend spending 24 hours in Cusco doing nothing. I know some people recomend doing this in the sacred valley but it doesnt really work. I am aware that many people from the US take the drug Diamox to get around this. I would definatly not recomend this for these altitudes. Diamox can have some nasty side effects and should not be taken unless really necessary and most climbers i know only carry it as a emergency procedure and dont take it a standard. There really is no other good way of preventing altitude sickness other than acclimatisation.

If any one has any questions for me about Peru, please feel free to e mail me at csn7@le.ac.uk

Miriam... thanks so much again for your help! I'm just waiting to see what Carlin puts together for us and if we go ahead with it, I'm sure I'll have more questions for you.

Fabs - I was 'blown away' when I saw the M.Picchu extension now being offered by Celebrity. When I booked our trip in mid Jan. all that was available was the 7, 10, and 11 day Galapagos/Quito trips. I called Celebrity (as I booked directly with them) to see if adding it on was an option for us ... we can include it, but the extra cost of $7500 for the two of us for the M.P. portion seems a little high, although with flights, hotels, tours, food, train, etc. all included, it might not be unreasonable. I'll compare what we can do on our own vs. Celebrity's plan and then decide which way to go. The one nice thing about Celebrity's trip is that you don't have to return to Quito, and can be in Lima on the Monday.

After I saw this thread I called Celebrity out of curiousity to see what it would cost to add it to our June booking. The price they quoted was an additional US$5300/person plus additional air costs to change the return flights. For that you end up with a 13 day trip; the existing 2 days pre- in Quito, the cruise, and three days post to MP. As much as we want to see MP at some point, that's a whole lot more than we want to spend. Especially considering we could have done the same trip as a shore excursion off of Crystal Harmony in 2002 for US$2300/person.

We are sailing Xpedition in July and added on MAPI through LetsgoPeru.com. Since we haven't travelled yet, I can't give you the final verdict, but Michael has been probably the best agent I have ever worked with and the price was quite reasonable. Celebrity is offering the highest end experience: Monasterio, Sanctuary Lodge, Hiram Bingham train, but at a premium. I also agree that the schedule seems rushed. We booked 7 nights/8 days for well under a third of what you were quoted.

It seemed to us that with Quito just a couple of hours away from Lima it would be a shame to miss the opportunity to see Machu Piccu. You may want to explore other travel agents to see if you can make it happen. Good luck!

Lee

Wow - i cant believe cruise lines are charging so much for this. Peru is a fabulous country, but it is a poor country and prices are available that reflect this. For example, a flight from Lima to Cuzco is available for less than $200 return with LanPeru, a good quality hotel in Cuzco can be booked for less than $100 per night (per room not per person) and the trip to MP on the train starts at less than $50 per person, the only other expence is the entry into MP. I cant remeber what this was, but not expensive

Like anything else on a ship, you're a captive market. There is also the "convenience" factor; the "Oh we're this close, we might as well go while we're here." type of thing. From Canada/US it IS a long way to go "just" to see MP. What I don't understand is that from the WEB site it looks like it is being offered as a tour off of Infinity (I think) at a price of +/- US$2000/person yet they want US$5300/person to add it on after the Xpedition cruise.

Susan - if you don't mind sharing, I would be curious to know what price you got from the travel agent you're dealing with locally.

Susan - if you don't mind sharing, I would be curious to know what price you got from the travel agent you're dealing with locally.

Roland - I booked the cruise directly with Celebrity and am still waiting for Carlin Travel to get back to me with a price on the M.P. portion.... will let you know once I do, but I suspect it will be lower than the $7500. U.S. that Celebrity is asking. I was surprised to hear how much extra it was going to cost you in June. We aren't going until Nov. which is a less expensive time of the year, but it still seems like a big difference.

When I checked air with AA, it was actually a little less to fly Toronto-Quito & Lima-Toronto than Toronto-Quito return, so our air portion won't add to the cost.

We booked the 10 day cruise and doing M.P. with Celebrity is only 3 extra days.... if we do it on our own, I want to add 5 days & return home on Saturday.

Susan

I was more than a little surprised at the difference myself, so I called a second time, got a different Res agent, but the same price! Very strange pricing. You would think November, being late Spring there, would be more expensive than June, which is late Fall. Granted the seasons don't change much that close to the Equator.

It will be interesting to see what pricing you get independently. Having said that, we're off tomorrow for a couple of weeks in the sun and warm (and no snow!!) of the South Pacific, so I'll have to hunt this thread up when we get back to find out.

Larry

Larry.... have a great time in the S. Pacific!! .... I'm just heading out to X-country ski now, so will be thinking of you:)

Here's my theory on the large price difference that you are being quoted.... if you booked the 10 day trip quite a while ago, you probably got lower prices than what is currently being offered for the same trip. Your quote for the 13 day is based on current prices (you can check these on Celebrity's website). The 13 day is coming up around $20-21K Cdn. for two people - this is based on the 300 & 400 series cabins, and varies a bit depending on the month.

Susan - We used to x-country but gave it up when we started to travel regularly in the winter. Didn't want to risk breaking something. Tough to work on a tan in a cast!! Plus we got tired of driving for two hours to find enough snow!!

Had not thought of it, but you're right on the pricing. We booked this February LAST year when we were onboard Vision in Mexico. All in we're paying less than $18K for a 500 series suite and Business Class air. Either way, the additional cost is excessive for a three day trip. From what we have heard from family friends who have been there, a day is not enough to do MP properly, never mind the fact it takes at least 24 hours to acclimate to the altitude to be able to properly enjoy it. When we do it, we will likely take a full week and do it properly.

Hope the skiing was good!

Larry

Roland - I booked the cruise directly with Celebrity and am still waiting for Carlin Travel to get back to me with a price on the M.P. portion.... will let you know once I do, but I suspect it will be lower than the $7500. U.S. that Celebrity is asking. I was surprised to hear how much extra it was going to cost you in June. We aren't going until Nov. which is a less expensive time of the year, but it still seems like a big difference.

When I checked air with AA, it was actually a little less to fly Toronto-Quito & Lima-Toronto than Toronto-Quito return, so our air portion won't add to the cost.

We booked the 10 day cruise and doing M.P. with Celebrity is only 3 extra days.... if we do it on our own, I want to add 5 days & return home on Saturday.

Go on line to Celebrity's web site and find out about the MP trip. I booked mine with no problems and certainly not at those costs you list.

Archived