Cruise out of MIA, better to fly into FLL?

flagger

Flying down from the east coast, is it better to fly into FLL and take a supershuttle or limo to a Miami Hotel or just fly into MIA? What are cab rates into Downtown or MIA pier area hotels from FLL, how about shuttles, limos?

What is the earliest time you should book a return if you fly out of FLL but disembark in MIA?

Thanks

Also if you were flying from the SE US, would you still fly in the day before or chance it and take an early morning flight and save on the hotel?

Last August we cruised out of Miami and flew into FLL. My TA set up for a driver to pick us up at the FLL airport and take us to our hotel in SB Miami. I think we paid about $75.

The savings on airline tickets between FLL and MIA was about $100 per person so we went with FLL.

My TA told me not to book a return flight before 2pm in order to give us time to get to FLL.

I would just weigh the costs between the flight and how much it will be to get from FLL to Miami to see which is best for you.

flagger~~ We just flew in and out of FL for our cruise last week. We paid approx $65 to have a car take us from FL to Miami. We used either White Pearl or Black Pearl car service.(Dh set it up so I can't remember).

We had an 11 AM flight out on Sunday morning and made it with plenty of time to spare. We were off the ship and had our checked luggage by 7:30 am.

Good luck.

Cindy ;)

The difference in cost was quite a bit for us to fly into FLL vs Miami. We're coming from San Francisco on Jet Blue the night before. The ONLY time we ever fly in the same day as the cruise is if we're cruising out of a California port.

I have reserved a limo to pick us up from FLL when we arrive (at about 9:30pm) and drive us the the Miami Radisson - our quote was $75.00 plus tip. After the cruise - we're going back to FLL to rent a car for the week to go to Orlando. We decided to just take a taxi from the port to FLL.

This sounds silly I know, but we are flying into Miami the night before and cabbing it up to dad's for the night in Lauderdale, for about $65 also...and then dad is taking us to the pier. We chose to do this because the flights we needed into FLL could not get us into Lauderdale at the time we needed. So get to see my dad since we chose to fly in the night before.

Usually FLL is cheaper to fly into, but for us the times didn't work well enough.

ssolomon-

Looks like we're on the Explorer the week before you. We'll be doing the red-eye on Jetblue as well, but we'll be flying in the day of sailing. Haven't decided yet on how we'll get to Miami but I think we're leaning toward Larry's Limos. We're also going to Orlando post cruise, but we're renting a car from Miami.

Also if you were flying from the SE US, would you still fly in the day before or chance it and take an early morning flight and save on the hotel?

In the winter, I wouldn't chance flying in the day of the cruise. All you need is an ice storm and you'll be biting your nails down to the quick!

We took a chance and flew into FLL on the day of the cruise out of Miami. This was out of Chicago in January. We arrived at FLL at 10:30 AM and had plenty of time to get to the ship.

We hired Top Shuttle to pick us up. Their rate depends on how many in the shuttle. Because we had 9 people coming back from Miami pier to FLL, we paid $15 each. They were very prompt. The drive on Sunday is a breeze and mostly highway driving. It only took about 35 min. Miami is shorter, but not by much.

We were back early at FLL after the cruise, probably about 10 AM or so. WE had a 6:30 PM flite home. FLL is a ZOO until about 1 PM or so when alot of the cruisers have headed home. It was a Looooong day!

I always fly to FLL for Miami cruises cuz I am in LA and use Delta milege, but to go to MIA on Delta you are forced to change planes in Atlanta-yuck. But Song, their baby airline, flies non-stop LAX to FLL.

I would rather fly non stop and drive for 30 minutes than be forced to stop in Atlanta and deal with plane changes, delays, and so forth. SO we fly to FLL then hire a towncar or van to drive to MIA.

Archived