Travel Insurance For Future Voyages

RJChatsworth

I am sure Cunard would wish to get their ships operating again in the aftermath of COVID-19.  Port authorities are probably just as keen to resume operations.  Governments might not be so keen in case there is a second wave of the disease.  Notwithstanding all of that, what about passengers being able to obtain travel insurance which is inclusive of coronavirus?   This might be problematic, particularly for the elderly who are the mainstay of the industry.

Anybody got a crystal ball or any kind of a clue?

Guest SilverHengroen

Don't think anyone can really answer that yet. I'm personally of the mind sailings are unlikely to begin again much before there's a vaccine, or at least effective antiviral drugs, available. That sounds extreme, but there's going to be a long process to go through, before any ships can start saving full of passengers again. Insurance is just one question of many. 

2 hours ago, RJChatsworth said:

I am sure Cunard would wish to get their ships operating again in the aftermath of COVID-19.  Port authorities are probably just as keen to resume operations.  Governments might not be so keen in case there is a second wave of the disease.  Notwithstanding all of that, what about passengers being able to obtain travel insurance which is inclusive of coronavirus?   This might be problematic, particularly for the elderly who are the mainstay of the industry.

Anybody got a crystal ball or any kind of a clue?

My annual travel insurance is due for renewal in May and as far as I can see any new policy will not include cover for Covid-19 according to British insurers. I have cruises booked in July and March next year. I have made enquiries with my travel agent and they will not do anything until the time of the cruise,  final payment is due for the July cruise.  Without adequate insurance I am very reluctant to proceed with the bookings even though I will lose my deposits. Unless a vaccine is developed  I cannot see how I can risk going on these cruises or book future cruises particularly as I am over 70 with underlying conditions.

Another complication is that the British Government advice currently is that I should not cruise. As it is not known when this advice will be lifted any new annual insurance will not cover me as the risk is already known.

So I cannot see how cruising will be easily resumed unless there is considerable change to these various restrictions.

Edited by Matelot70
  • Like 1

After 9/11 occurred here in the US Insurance policies were altered to take out coverage for terrorist attacks of any sort. However, capitalism being what it is, there sprung up a secondary insurance policy market that was specif to terror attacks. It would not surprise me if in the travel insurance industry, one will be able to purchase riders for such things as age, viruses, special places that are considered slightly less desirable and so on.

After the current Coronavirus Pandermic Insurance restrictions, options, and costs will no doubt increase for all. We all hope never to need to claim on the insurance but as we all know the unexpected can occur. Some may try to insure the minimum requirements going forward perhaps excluding repatriation in the event of being stranded in another country or even worse needing to be air lifted off the ship due to a medical emergency. Booking Conditions normally state that in the event of insufficient insurance cover then the cruise line will still treat/transport the passenger at its cost but the passenger agrees(under the Booking Conditions when booking)  that they will repay the costs incurred to the cruise line. Needless to say whatever policies and costs that there are post Pandemic then these could still be the better option. It is normally the official line that the passenger agrees to have proper cover as a condition of sailing although from experience to date I have never been asked to show any Insurance information at the cruise terminal prior to boarding.