Cunard vs. Silversea (QM2-Shadow)

skleeb

Can any of you enlighten me on any/all differences between the two experiences? I had one on each line scheduled this year that have been cancelled. I haven't travelled on either before(well, except for the original QE in 1967), so I'd like to know how they stack up against each other in price, food, amenities, etc.Thank you.

I have been on both ships.  "The Grills" on QM2 are comparable to SS as you receive a large room, a no-set-time dining room, and a separate bar where you can also take tea.  Grills also receive a concierge room for assistance and reserved tickets to the planetarium.  Once outside of the Grills bubble, expect lines.  A lot of lines, especially around the buffet.  

The bartender in the Grills Bar was wonderful.  She arranged for entertainment one evening.  Otherwise...you line up for the regular show lounge.  I thought the clotted cream for tea was phenomenal.  Dress was a bit more formal.

While QM2 is a lovely ship, I can't see myself back on her.  Just too big.  I also prefer not having to bring out my keycard every time I want a bourbon or soda. 

Missy in Maryland

10 hours ago, MHF said:

I have been on both ships.  "The Grills" on QM2 are comparable to SS as you receive a large room, a no-set-time dining room, and a separate bar where you can also take tea.  Grills also receive a concierge room for assistance and reserved tickets to the planetarium.  Once outside of the Grills bubble, expect lines.  A lot of lines, especially around the buffet.  

The bartender in the Grills Bar was wonderful.  She arranged for entertainment one evening.  Otherwise...you line up for the regular show lounge.  I thought the clotted cream for tea was phenomenal.  Dress was a bit more formal.

While QM2 is a lovely ship, I can't see myself back on her.  Just too big.  I also prefer not having to bring out my keycard every time I want a bourbon or soda. 

Missy in Maryland

Thanks for this response.I looked at the Grill's room to compare.It looks lovely, but expensive, as I would have to pay double the price as a solo. SS has trips with a good supplement percentage for solos. I also am a fan of smaller ships. Looks like I will go with SS. Where are you in Maryland? I'm in Montgomery County.

Skleeb, totally agree with you about the solos.  When I had to start going solo last year, looking at the supplements was eye-opening.  SS has some solo specials now at 10-25% (I booked one, looking at another).  Seabourn is running some at 25% too.  I hear Crystal always charges 30%.  Cunard seems to charge 100% for the Grills no matter what.

I'm in Urbana, just moved there from Gaithersburg.  Hello neighbor!

M in M

1 hour ago, MHF said:

Skleeb, totally agree with you about the solos.  When I had to start going solo last year, looking at the supplements was eye-opening.  SS has some solo specials now at 10-25% (I booked one, looking at another).  Seabourn is running some at 25% too.  I hear Crystal always charges 30%.  Cunard seems to charge 100% for the Grills no matter what.

I'm in Urbana, just moved there from Gaithersburg.  Hello neighbor!

M in M

I have one scheduled for March 2021 that I paid for last year-hope all systems go by then. With my future credit I received, I will probably book another one-going to check those deals out now! I am in Poolesville, right down the road from you, practically!