tipping canadian style

winny63

I just wondered if it would be rude to not only tipp room service but to add some toonies and loonies.. just wondered if they would get a kick out of it or not..

As long as you consider the loonies and toonies as novelty items and NOT money. Even then, the only "value" they would have is if any of their families are collectors of foreign currency. Not too many people have the same "affection" for loonies and toonies that we do :)

They'd be fine as long as the ship is making a port call in Canada where the coins can be used. I don't think banks will exchange them for other currencies, will they?

I use Toonies to mark my golf ball on the green. My playing partners have a habit of stealing them because they're such a novelty here - and they are just about the perfect size for the job.

yes they are worthles in the american eye.. but personally i love to see different monetary coins and love to hand them out to others who enjoy it too.. it would not be a tip but a gesture of kindness if they are so apt to wanting it.

i left one with my regular tip on vacation once and the young girl was so excited about it she went around showing everyone and thanked me graciously..said she would keep it in her hope chest that maybe someday the canadian curency will tople the american. lol.. I told her to go for it.

it was fun thats all i know.

I would only give them out as a novelty item, not for a tip. They are virtually worthless anywhere except here in the "frozen tundra". (Might as well give them "Canadian Tire Money"! :D) Once at the end of a cruise, we were on the "unhappy bus" taking us from the ship to the airport and all we had in cash were Canadian funds - the bus driver wouldn't even accept the dollar bills for a tip. Too bad for him, because as a result he received nothing from us - his loss. We always tip in US dollars unless we're in another country, then we use the local currency.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Personally, I doubt if the people you are tipping would appreciate them. Most are are from very poor countries and these are the best jobs they can get to support themselves or their families back home. They are paid a very low wage and depend on tips to supplement their income. I doubt if many are coin collectors. Ask yourself this question: "Why are there so few, if any, Americans or Canadians doing these jobs?"

By all means, tip them extra if you feel so inclined. I know they would appreciate that.

Just my opinion.

Winny, although you mean well, your loonies and toonies would probably end up on the ocean floor!

These employees take their tips seriously, and I just don't think they'd appreciate them at all. They really, really like the American greenbacks. Save them for spending in Canada.:)

I would only give them out as a novelty item, not for a tip. They are virtually worthless anywhere except here in the "frozen tundra". (Might as well give them "Canadian Tire Money"! :D) Once at the end of a cruise, we were on the "unhappy bus" taking us from the ship to the airport and all we had in cash were Canadian funds - the bus driver wouldn't even accept the dollar bills for a tip. Too bad for him, because as a result he received nothing from us - his loss. We always tip in US dollars unless we're in another country, then we use the local currency.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

You said it beautifully. US$, Euros, whatever, but CDN$ forget it. We always carry lots of US small bills, they're good anywhere, even Cuba.

Keep Smilin'

What do you do with left over peso's??....throw them in a box incase you ever go back! Too bad Canadian money is worth less than American. If the tables were turned that it would really be a great tip for them. Hard to exchange Can to American as they charge again for the conversion. Not really worth it for a couple of Can bucks

Archived