Cancelled Cruise and Onboard Credit

dwlmg

I think I know the disappointing answer but one of my mantras is that if you don't ask, they can't say yes.  If you have  onboard credit for a cruise that is cancelled by Viking, can you reassign the credit to a cruise you use the voucher for?  Perhaps it is something a travel agent can make happen.  Ours has done some remarkable things for us.

Based on our recent cruise, OBC can be either refundable or non-refundable. When our cruise was cancelled, the final account showed the remaining balance, with totals for refundable credit and non-refundable credit. For the refundable, we will receive a cheque, the non-refundable is gone.

We had to leave almost $3500 on the table when the Sun was skipping ports and ending up in Dubai.  We had booked most of our expensive excursions for the last month of the cruise, and of course, that didn't happen.  The $ all went back to our shipboard account, non-refundable.  With very limited inventory in the shops, we went to Wendy in Customer Service to ask what to do with the non-refundable credit.  She told us several times "not to worry, you'll be taken care of."  Well, we're starting to worry.  We want it to transfer to our next cruise, not just be out of luck with hard feelings.