Do you think the Captain may be embarrassed??

Danno

Danno, Ya' know I'm usually right there with you on most subjects, but Eric does bring up a point. WHO chose the artwork for the M class ships????? Particularly on the Constellation, that artwork in the stairs is not to be believed. :eek:

O.k., so I have pedestrian taste in art, and good art is supposed to "provoke." Well, it 'provoked' me all right. ICCCCKK.:p

I actually find most cruise ship decor a little over the top, even on sacred Cunard (but at least they have some GREAT maritime art!) Even Crystal Harmony was a little gaudy, as was Symphony. But, in the end, I can tolerate a lot that I'm not fond of in order to be on a cruise!:D Thus the two crusei booked on Constellation this year. Guess decor isn't the deciding factor.:rolleyes:

And certainly, with notable exceptions, such as the captain who deserted ship off the coast of Africa, leaving the entertainment staff to rescue the passengers, captains of any of these large vessels deserve respect, but I thought your original supposition was about cruise ship captains vs. freighter captains. ( I also didn't find that question mean, but apparently I missed a few choice posts that were deleted.)

Play nice, everyone.

Andrew

Ooh, Mangos, you were posting when I was. SIGN ME UP!!! I could take a few weeks at sea on THAT!!! No Mug-o'-Lunches from the tiny galley, and no showers from the solar pouch hanging off the boom, either, I bet.:D

But can't we all agree that the heliport is a little 'de trop?';)

Andrew

Danno, The future captain of Freedom of the Seas (William S. Wright) was the senior vice president of Marine Operations for RCI/X. Do you think he would give up that job if it was not an honor to command the worlds largest cruise ship. I really don't appreciate the snide remarks towards RCI. Their ships are classy and in no way resemble a circus.

Dan making a snide remark? Nah.

Phil

IMHO...some lines like Cunard, Hal and X would be respected...being in charge of these floating circus shows, like Carnival, RCL, and NCL (some ships) I think could make you the butt of a few jokes....some of these ships just look embarrassing :D .

Beauty is in the eye of the holder.

OK....Sum ships looks like floating bidllboards. Some ships rely on neon and plastic for decoration, some ships rememble floating condos....

That really has little to do with the "pecking order" of Captains. And lets remember, ships lines (not only cruise lines) end towards one nationality for their officer crew.

So Top dog at NCL might be Norwegian and in a class by himself while the coward that abandoned ship off the coast of Africa a few years ago was Italian, I doubt he is very high on the pecking order of Italian Masters.

Me, I am just glad that we can afford to cruise, really glad we can afford Celebrity and really, really, really glad that we leave in 62 days on the Galaxy..and the Captain had darn well better be up to expectations. If not, I am gonna tell Danno and Danno will have the guy busing tables on the Norwegian Sea (I know, it is out of the fleet..that is how bad a job it would be).

Danno, The future captain of Freedom of the Seas (William S. Wright) was the senior vice president of Marine Operations for RCI/X. Do you think he would give up that job if it was not an honor to command the worlds largest cruise ship. I really don't appreciate the snide remarks towards RCI. Their ships are classy and in no way resemble a circus.

Danno needs to get over himself lol.

Danno, Ya' know I'm usually right there with you on most subjects, but Eric does bring up a point. WHO chose the artwork for the M class ships?????

Andrew

Who chose the art work for any X ships...I even warned our travel companions to be prepared for some horrible looking pieces of "art". :eek: I've not been on the M class...it couldn't be worse...could it??

I was a little surprised at the art on Constellation... I saw a few Cartoon Cells throughout the ship...

The art really didn't "Flow"... like I would have thought... but... I don't cruise for the art in the ship....

The feeling I got, walking around Constellation was "hmmmm"... scratched my head a few times... and caught myself thinking "what were they smoking... and where can I get some?"

lol

I don't know if it works this way for a ship's captain, but it does for the captain/pilot of an airplane. On one of our recent cruises, we had a table mate who has been an Air Canada pilot for twenty years. He told us that he flew their largest planes, even though he thinks smaller ones are more fun to fly, because a pilot's compensation at Air Canada is based on the size of the plane that he flies.

Archived