Travel/cancellation Insurance For Canadians

Nikkibird

Has anyone recently purchased travel/cancellation insurance in Canada? I have had quotes from $380 to $700 per couple and had trouble trying to compare the policies. Also, the biggest problem has been that when we put our deposit down on our cruise booking last May, our TA said we didn't need to purchase the insurance until we made the final payment. Well, now most insurance companies I have called say I had to buy the insurance within 48 hours of putting the deposit down :confused:. Can anyone make a suggustion of who is a good one and will they sell it to us now?? Thanks.

Has anyone recently purchased travel/cancellation insurance in Canada? I have had quotes from $380 to $700 per couple and had trouble trying to compare the policies. Also, the biggest problem has been that when we put our deposit down on our cruise booking last May, our TA said we didn't need to purchase the insurance until we made the final payment. Well, now most insurance companies I have called say I had to buy the insurance within 48 hours of putting the deposit down :confused:. Can anyone make a suggustion of who is a good one and will they sell it to us now?? Thanks.

I have insurance with Princess and RBC.......I automatically am covered for trip cancellation because I booked with my bank card RBC.credit card.This is a fee per year one which gives you points and perks.Try your bank insurance.

If you have insurance on your credit card, why did you buy the princess insurance as well?

I thought I would try it.

I found out after final payment that you have to pay up front for medical bills if you get sick....Imagine $1000's of dollars upfront!!!!!!!!

Due to the fact I am a senior I have to pay the health section on RBC credit card......thats why I thought I would try Princess.

I then purchased health insurance from RBC which just coast me $95 for a months cruise.....they pay upfront....Too late to cancel Princess Insurance

I must have read the question incorrectly. I thought nikki booked with deposit and was told she could add princess insurance when the balance was paid - but now she is looking at other companies instead and they needed to be purchased at time of deposit.

I'm with you Cass...confused :confused:

Nikki... You can add the Princess insurance any time up to final payment. The only thing it does NOT cover is pre-existing conditions.

Most outside companies you can buy insurance from want you to buy the insurance within 14 days of your initial deposit IF YOU WANT PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS COVERED. You can still buy it afterwards.

I'm an agent that often sells "CSA" www.csatravelprotection.com. I'm not sure if they barr Canadians from buying, but they have three different policies out of four that let you buy their policy any time UP TO final payment and still have your pre-existing conditions COVERED. (That's why I like them.) You need to buy the Freestyle Luxe plan for this option of the two you see on this basic Website.

If you don't have any medical problems and don't care about pre-existing conditions, it really doesn't matter which you buy!

Hope this helps!

Hi Casshew and Suzy,

thanks for your input. We have not taken the Princess insurance because when I called Princess to get a quote, I was told since I booked with another TA, I must call them for a quote. They quoted $415 US or $500 Cdn. It seemed very high so we decided to check around. We are also travelling for 3-1/2 weeks including the cruise through Europe and needed to make sure all of the trip was covered. Our cruise TA said the $415 US covered the cruise. Upon checking with Canadian insurance companies, it seemed the prices were all over the place and I got really confused reading their policies. Suzy, if you sell alot of them, maybe you can suggest one to us. I have read the CSA is good. The quote I got back from there on line quote was $288 US which seems really good. What we are not sure about is the pre-existing stuff!! Both my husband and I are very healthy but I have knee problems - I had a knee joint transplant 10 years ago and it still gives me problems and I will be having a knee replacement next year. So if I fell in this knee and injured it, will they say this is pre existing??? I also take an anti-inflamatory medicine for it. Also, it says if you have to cancel due to a family member getting sick, and they had a pre existing condition, you are not covered. Well that could be anything ie. our parents are older and have had this and that over the last year. I guess I am a little nervous making the right choice as you hear the horror stories about people not being covered and lossing their money. Am I reading too much into this???? Thanks for any input you can give us. Nikki

I am a travel agent who sels RBC insurance. They are terrific. Pre existing with them means 3 - 9 months prior to sailing date, if your condition has been stable, ie no change in medication they you are ok. If you have to make a claim as a result of your pre existing condition thats when the RBC contacts your Doctor and depending on what he or she says will determine whether they pay the claim. One of the questions on the claim form is " Did your doctor know you were travelling?"

They pay up front in destination, and they do. As for your imediate family, if their condition is not stable, they are seeing the Doc constantly changing meds, in and out hospital etc, thats when they won't cover you.

Because you can cancel a cruise outiside final payment and you don't lose any money, you don't have to buy insurance until final payment is due,,but and it is big, if in the mean time from when you booked the cruise and when you buy insurance, if you become ill and then later have to claim becuse of that illness you won't be covered. YOu won't be covered because now it is a pre existing illness. It will look like you bought the insurance to cover for that reason.

Depending on your age you might have to fill out an application. They is still another way around the age thing, your TA should knoiw if she sells RBC ins. If not you can go to any agency that sells RBC and buy it from them, or RBC bank as well.

Hopes htis helps.

Archived