Houston Hobby Question

bronco881

Ok, I'm a first time cruiser and after reading these posts I'm freaking out a little. Have any of you flown into Houston Hobby for a departure at Gavleston? Our flight is scheduled to arrive at 12:09pm and we're scheduled to leave port at 3 or 4pm. Is this enough time? My travel agent thinks so. She said this airport is closer than the other Houston one. Also, How do you all usually get from the airport to the port? Does RC offer a shuttle? How do you sign up and how much? Has anyone taken a cab from Houston Hobby? How much is that? I won't even get into how nervous I am about our flight being delayed or cancelled!!!!!! We are leaving in 10 days!

Hobby airport is much closer to Galveston than the Bush airport. It's probably about 25-30 miles. It would take about 30-45 minutes from the airport to Galveston depending on traffic. A cab would be very expensive. Did you book air thru RCI? If so, a shuttle service is included with your airfare. If not, you can call RCI and see if they offer the service from Hobby. You will be cutting it pretty close to time to leave though. Where will you be flying in from? If the weather is bad, you could get delayed.

Thanks for the info. We're flying in from St. Louis. I guess I will call RC to see if they offer the service. We had to book on our own. I don't know why but the TA said they weren't offering airfare on this cruise. We just booked it less than a week ago so that may have something to do with it. Maybe I should think about flying in the night before.

Ok, I'm a first time cruiser and after reading these posts I'm freaking out a little. Have any of you flown into Houston Hobby for a departure at Gavleston? Our flight is scheduled to arrive at 12:09pm and we're scheduled to leave port at 3 or 4pm. Is this enough time? My travel agent thinks so. She said this airport is closer than the other Houston one. Also, How do you all usually get from the airport to the port? Does RC offer a shuttle? How do you sign up and how much? Has anyone taken a cab from Houston Hobby? How much is that? I won't even get into how nervous I am about our flight being delayed or cancelled!!!!!! We are leaving in 10 days!

Hobby is a lot closer to Galveston since it's on the South side of Houston. There are limo companies that will take you to Galveston...it's about $30 per adult (one way). It's about an hours drive.

IMHO, that's cutting it pretty close - what airline are you flying, and would it be possible to change your flight to the day before?

Definately fly in the day before. I just got back from a cruise on the Conquest. About 15 people got to meet the ship in Jamaica because their flight was delayed by fog and they missed the ship. You might make it but it will be a very stressful way to start a vacation.

Thanks for the info. We're flying in from St. Louis. I guess I will call RC to see if they offer the service. We had to book on our own. I don't know why but the TA said they weren't offering airfare on this cruise. We just booked it less than a week ago so that may have something to do with it. Maybe I should think about flying in the night before.

Are you flying Southwest? If so, you might be able to still snag a pretty decent fare from STL-HOU for the night before. The extra cost for a hotel is well worth the reduced stress of cutting it that close.

RCI has 'transfer service" just call them and they will add it (for a small fee) if you did indeed book you air thru RCI transfer to dock is included. Galveston is not far from Hobby. And you will not have many delays at the airport( is: not having to go thru customs, etc)

Enjoy!

Hobby is just off of exit 36 on I-45, which puts it ~36 miles north of Galveston. It is usually an easy 35 - 45 minute drive during the mid-day (gets considerably longer during late afternoon rush hour) from Hobby to Galveston.

Are you sure you're scheduled to LEAVE port at 3 or 4 PM? Any chance that that is the BOARDING time listed on your docs and the actual departure time is more like 6PM (this is more typical of RCCL out of Galveston).

If your ship is actually scheduled to LEAVE at 3:00 PM, you are probably cutting it close (but, honestly, should still make it as long as the flight was no more than 30 minutes late). But if the LEAVE time is actually 5 or 6, you should be fine.

RCI has 'transfer service" just call them and they will add it (for a small fee) if you did indeed book you air thru RCI transfer to dock is included. Galveston is not far from Hobby. And you will not have many delays at the airport( is: not having to go thru customs, etc)

Enjoy!

I'd still advise going down the day before. I was on a cruise last June and had a same day flight that should have had me in FLL by 1:00 for a 5:00 departure. Even though the weather was great here in my home city that day, it wasn't so good where the airplane I was to fly on was leaving from...one hour delay. Once it got here there was a problem with the weather radar and it had to be repaired. 2 hour additional delay. Our plane touched down in FLL at 4:15. Thank heavens the cruise port was so close, as we checked in and had to board thru the service doors because the gangway had been pulled.

I'd still advise going down the day before. I was on a cruise last June and had a same day flight that should have had me in FLL by 1:00 for a 5:00 departure. Even though the weather was great here in my home city that day, it wasn't so good where the airplane I was to fly on was leaving from...one hour delay. Once it got here there was a problem with the weather radar and it had to be repaired. 2 hour additional delay. Our plane touched down in FLL at 4:15. Thank heavens the cruise port was so close, as we checked in and had to board thru the service doors because the gangway had been pulled.

Right, anything can happen. Ideally they could make it, but, sure...if coming early is an option, that's always a good idea.:cool:

And Galveston is a fun town...lots to do!

Archived