Which Waikoloa Dophin Quest?

Kaylas Mom

Dolphin Quest offers several versions of their swim, ranging from $195 to $330. I cannot tell much from their website about the difference between them. Has anyone done one? Which one?

Our daughter is 10 and I want to be sure she gets to do more than pet the doplhin. She did that when she was smaller in oahu and, although she loved it, she wants to really play with one this time.

Dolphin Quest offers several versions of their swim, ranging from $195 to $330. I cannot tell much from their website about the difference between them. Has anyone done one? Which one?

Our daughter is 10 and I want to be sure she gets to do more than pet the doplhin. She did that when she was smaller in oahu and, although she loved it, she wants to really play with one this time.

If you go to their website, and click on the program name, you'll get a description of each program. The key element to look at is "dolphin time" - that varies from 10 to 40 minutes, with the price going up accordingly. If you have a family group, you might want to consider the "Ohana" one, as that limits the number of people to just your family group which also expands the amount of time each person is likely to have in the water with the dolphin and trainer.

Thanks Donna,

I saw their site, but was confused that all the choices say "shallow water" yet, while some of the pictures show kids standing knee-deep in water, other clearly show people swimming.

Does anyone know what they mean by "fun water scooters?" I guess I am just trying to ficgure out if the fun scotters equate to $100+ more fun.

Thanks Donna,

I saw their site, but was confused that all the choices say "shallow water" yet, while some of the pictures show kids standing knee-deep in water, other clearly show people swimming.

Does anyone know what they mean by "fun water scooters?" I guess I am just trying to ficgure out if the fun scotters equate to $100+ more fun.

The area is a largeish lagoon deeper at one end than the other, sort of like a swimming pool. The area is surrounded, pretty much, by walkways, and there's a restaurant at one end, if I remember correctly - been a while since I was over that way. The younger kids and shorter "encounters" are from a platform type thing in the shallowest part and are pretty limited.

I think the 'scooters' may be those little propeller type things that divers use, but this is something new to me. I don't recall seeing them when I was over there last. If I need to go by there anytime soon, I'll wander over and have a look.

The longer encounters and the older children and adults start in the shallow end, and go out further into the lagoon, which is where you see the swimming. Still isn't all that deep, though. Everyone is in life jackets, too.

The operative thing is still going to be the time with dolphin, more than the scooters in terms of the price point. The other limiting factor is the size of your group. The more people in the group, the less individual time.

Kaylas Mom: When you say "play" with the dolphins, could you be more specific? The reason I ask is that many people envision each person having their "own" dolphin for the duration (that's not how DolphinQuest does it). Others want to "ride" the dolphins (hanging on to the fins, etc.), which again DolphinQuest does not do because it's actually harmful to the dolphins.

At DolphinQuest, the trainers/companions really are committed to (and adament about) teaching people about dolphins, including dolphin care and interaction. Every encounter includes an introductory part about dolphins and their needs (as well as their intelligence and devotion to the humans who care for and teach them). DolphinQuest really is about hands-on education and respect.

Usually the longer programs have more dolphin time, but with the kids' programs there are some options that have a "land" portion after the water time. For the deeper water programs, the participants need to be good swimmers. Yes, you are wearing a vest and you have a snorkel and mask, but you've got to be able to handle swimming and negotiating (as well as doing things like hand commands and being underwater) without assistance.

The scooters are new to me too. They didn't have anything like that before. I don't know how that would affect the dolphins or the various program options.

Also, the "lagoon" is of course man-made, but it is a true environment. It's more than 2 million gallons (as I recall) that's constantly circulating fresh ocean water (screened to keep out wild roaming large creatures, of course). It's a sand-bottom with rocks, small fish and other normal sea life, as well as all the flora that keep the environment natural and healthy. What I'm trying to say here, and rambling a bit I'm afraid, is that it is nothing like any other "contained" dolphin environment. Don't envision the typical "tank" in either size or design.

Back to my original question though. If you could tell us a bit more about what you envision as "playing" with the dolphins, it would help me give you more detailed feedback. (And you're right, it's not cheap, but I would not trade my encounter for anything. I did the long adult one with the most dolphin/water time, including the deeper water session. Awesome, in it's truest meaning.)

beachchick

I went ahead and booked the longest/most expensive one. You only live once.

I wasn't that worried about exactly what they do, play etc. It's just my daughter was disappointed at the Sea Life center two years ago when she actually never got past shin deep water with the doplins. Basically, she petted one and one "kissed"her. It looks like she'll really be in the water with these, so that's cool.

I know -- the scooter skind of freak me out. Clearly a gimmick, but if it's fun and it doesn't bother the dolphins.....

THANKS SO MUCH TO BOTH OF YOU!

IMO, you've made a good choice. The first part of the session will no doubt be in the shallow water (more like waist deep and a bit more as I recall), and there will be dolphin kissing. There will also be learning, petting, playing, and "games" (one they did had each of us do a duck and underwater roll with the dolpin; that was pretty fun). Also, she may be asked how dolphins like to be tickled on their tummies. The answer is they love a "raspberry." I was the one who answered correctly, and I got to be the first to tickle "our" dolphin that way--he did love it. BTW, dolphins "blush" on their tummies and they laugh when they're happy. It's really cool. (They also talk a little about where we shouldn't tickle a dolphin, if you get my meaning, but it's nothing graphic--just a simple acknowledgement that dolphins have private areas too.) Of course, all of this was in the adult program, so some things may vary. Our trainer told us that sometimes a dolphin will take a shine to one of the participants; seems he did with me. I say you haven't lived until you've had a dolphin give you a gentle slap on the backside and then swim away laughing.

There were about 16 people in our program. They split us into 4 groups, each with 1 dolphin. The groups are split by swimming ability since some people don't swim or are not comfortable with the deeper water portion. In the excellent swimmers group, we spent about 20 minutes in the deep water (the shallow water portion was about 25 minutes), which went by all too quickly. There weren't scooters, which I imagine allow more non-swimming types to do the deeper water. It's truly fabulous.

Is there a parent-child program now? There used to be a family one, but I know they change from time to time. If so, you might consider doing that together if you think your budget wouldn't be busted too much (as you say, it's $$$).

Your daughter will never forget this experience. Have a wonderful time.

beachchick

Kaylas Mom: Mahalo for the lovely compliment.

Wow--More than $1,000; ouch! Well, you will have a great time watching and photographing your DD. Don't forget to leave extra time at the resort for both of you to hang around and just watch the dolphins at play. They seem to have so much fun. There are places to sit and relax, as well as a little cafe and bar right by there. (Maybe next time you can do the program and she can take the photos! I'm always the optomist who figures there's gotta be a "next time" in Hawaii. LOL.)

beachchick

Beachchick!

Too right! We're actually staying at the Hilton this time for four nights, before we head over to maui. We always act like this is the only time we'll ever be in Hawaii, but this is our FOURTH trip -- it's that wonderful. Actually, what appeals to us (and most people do not know this) is that it is the same number of frequent flier miles from Europe to Hawaii as it is to the East Coast. Since we live in Europe, it just seems like such a "bargain" to use our miles to Hawaii, even though the flight is a killer.

Anyway, just the other day, my DFH proposed we think about Hawaii for retirement. I'm set on Alaska, but I can see that I might be just like the whales when I retuire -- half the year in each!!!!

Aloha,

Cathy

I had not heard about scooters either but I'll ask my friend who is there all the time singing for the weddings at the chapel.

I've watched the dophin encounters on several occasions and my friend (same one) did the Sea Life dophin thing in the tank where you are supposed to "Swim" with the dolphins and she was actually quite disappointed in that but I can see how it would have to be very limited to keep the dolphins safe.

Anyway from looking at the two - I would rather do the one at the Hilton myself.

From what I heard, the dolphins at the Hilton are not local so if they for some reason did escape into the ocean, they would need a translator to talk to our local dolphins. *smile*

Emi

Right, Sweet Emi. The dolphins at DolphinQuest are Atlantic bottlenose dolphins. They're the "Flipper" variety, so to speak. Great care is taken to ensure they don't wander out, but maybe dolphins have a universal "sign" language like humans use when they don't speak the local language. Maybe they can wave and point like we do. They're pretty darn smart--smarter than some humans, IMO.

They really are wonderous beings and such treasures for us. If you ever get a chance, you won't regret spending the $$$ for a truly amazing experience.

beachchick

Archived