Pricey Upsell (?)

mistybaby

We were just offered two upsells that seem kind of high based on what I have seen on this board - it is for a cruise that is in just under a month and the ship is fairly open.

we have a mini suite and to go to a penthouse they want 650pp and to a courtyard villa 750pp.

Is this the norm that people have seen? Is it likely to go down? If so, when and by how much (if you have an idea)?

Thanks!

We were just offered two upsells that seem kind of high based on what I have seen on this board - it is for a cruise that is in just under a month and the ship is fairly open.

we have a mini suite and to go to a penthouse they want 650pp and to a courtyard villa 750pp.

Is this the norm that people have seen? Is it likely to go down? If so, when and by how much (if you have an idea)?

Thanks!

Don't believe everthing you read ;)

The current method to price an upsell. Is 50% 0f the difference in the pp cruise fare only between what you paid and the current price of the target cabin. They will move from that but not far as a rule. As the program has become better know it does not take them long to sell out the inventory anymore.

So if you piad cruise fare only 1500 pp and the A3 is 3000 pp then 50% 0f the difference is $750 pp

My last upsell BA to AB was $750 pp. 50% difference was $900

The seem to work in round numbers - 250 pp 500pp 750pp 1000pp etc.

The crazy thing is we have a category AF minisuite and the difference between our price and the penthouse AB is 1300 - the amount of the upsell! The courtyard villa makes a little more sense but still...I was hoping to pay $500 pp for that which is about your 50% rule - but what they are offering is even higher than that ($750pp). Is it true that Mondays inventory is reevaluated? Is there anything else I should know with timing?

Thanks again!

The crazy thing is we have a category AF minisuite and the difference between our price and the penthouse AB is 1300 - the amount of the upsell! The courtyard villa makes a little more sense but still...I was hoping to pay $500 pp for that which is about your 50% rule - but what they are offering is even higher than that ($750pp). Is it true that Mondays inventory is reevaluated? Is there anything else I should know with timing?

Thanks again!

Jewel 3/05 - AF cruse fare only $859 pp AB 2339 - difference 1480 pp X 50% = 765 pp

A3 - cruise fare only 3390 so the A3 deal is better it should be 500 pp more.

Where are you getting those prices? I am just curious because they don't match NCL's website...

Thanks

NCL website - click on price it breaks down what goes into the total number. I may have checked yes for Lattitudes. Keep in mind it is not the total you paid vs. target cruise fare only. It is only cruise fare that that use. NCF, taxes, are the same for both cabins.

AF

Invoice Item Guest 1 Guest 2 All Guests

GOVERNMENT TAX 86.11 86.11 172.22

INSURANCE 89.00 89.00 178.00

NCF 140.00 140.00 280.00

VOYAGE FARE 859.00 859.00 1,718.00

Guest Total 1,174.11 1,174.11 2,348.22

AB

INSURANCE 169.00 169.00 338.00

NCF 140.00 140.00 280.00

VOYAGE FARE 2,339.00 2,339.00 4,678.00

Guest Total 2,734.11 2,734.11 5,468.22

A3

INSURANCE 209.00 209.00 418.00

NCF 140.00 140.00 280.00

VOYAGE FARE 3,339.00 3,339.00 6,678.00

Guest Total 3,774.11 3,774.11 7,548.22

So, you are saying they figure the difference between what YOU paid and the current price for the new cabin?

We paid $700 less than the NCL web price for our suite which means any upsell starts at our price, vs the web price. So, there is a $700 pp difference between the price we paid and the current price for the cabin we already have. So, any upsell into the SAME cabin would be $350 each?

EDIT - The $700 difference does include $ 240 in insurance. So, now it would be only $230 to upsell into the same cabin if you use the 50% difference thing.

Yikes.

By the way, we have a higher category room on a long cruise, so the $700 difference is not unheard of. Though I cann't mention the agency, we did use the ***** program to find an agency. (do a search to find them)

So, you are saying they figure the difference between what YOU paid and the current price for the new cabin?

We paid $700 less than the NCL web price for our suite which means any upsell starts at our price, vs the web price. So, there is a $700 pp difference between the price we paid and the current price for the cabin we already have. So, any upsell into the SAME cabin would be $350 each?

EDIT - The $700 difference does include $ 240 in insurance. So, now it would be only $230 to upsell into the same cabin if you use the 50% difference thing.

Yikes.

By the way, we have a higher category room on a long cruise, so the $700 difference is not unheard of. Though I cann't mention the agency, we did use the ***** program to find an agency. (do a search to find them)

Not sure I understand your question :confused:

The calculation is between what you paid and the current price of the cabin you want to move up to. If you paid 700 less for the same cabin as someone else you would pay approximately $350 more for the upsell then them.

Hope you can find your TA to work any upsell.

I think a lot of it has to do with how many staterooms they still have available, how close it is to the departure date, and how quickly the upsells being offered are moving.

I've heard repeatedly about people getting an offer of an upsell for X amount at one point and they turn it down because they felt it was too much. A week or two later they get another call and it's offered for an even better price.

I think a lot of it has to do with how many staterooms they still have available, how close it is to the departure date, and how quickly the upsells being offered are moving.

I've heard repeatedly about people getting an offer of an upsell for X amount at one point and they turn it down because they felt it was too much. A week or two later they get another call and it's offered for an even better price.

Exactly - not usual to see them move from the formula with expanded inventory or to open low price cabins they can sell to last minute bargin hunters.

Upgrades to balconies are normally in the 100-200 range pp. When they have one AB or one AA and a month to go don't expect much movement.

I did get the upsell to the GV 3 days before the one day Dawn cruise for far less the the 50% :) :)

Jame - that is what I thought, but now my TA told us the cruise said this will be the only price...I just don't know whether to trust it or not. I was willing to pay 500pp to upgrade to the courtyard villa...I am jsut wondering if 750pp is worth it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I really appreciate everyone's posts so far!

Shoreguy - if you don't mind me asking what did you pay for the upsell to the GV and what category did you originally have?

Thanks!

I don't recall exactly but looking at the final invoice it was $1203 total cost for the two of us. Started with an AF. Well worth the money for an once in a lifetime night on the town. I was glad to give up a week in an inside for a 22 hours in the Villa

We took an upsell from AF to AB Penthouse but the original offer made to us from NCL was $750pp x 3 guests. I told my travel agent that I would pay $250 pp and he called NCL back to let them know my offer. When he phoned me back he said that NCL told him the lowest they would go is $1000 total for the 3 of us. Of course I took the offer. That was just right after all final payments were due. The upsell thing worked for us because now we are hooked. Didn't want to take a risk of hoping for an upsell and not getting it! I would love to get a wonderful upsell offer from the AB to GV in May. Just a wishing!!!!

We took an upsell from AF to AB Penthouse but the original offer made to us from NCL was $750pp x 3 guests. I told my travel agent that I would pay $250 pp and he called NCL back to let them know my offer. When he phoned me back he said that NCL told him the lowest they would go is $1000 total for the 3 of us. Of course I took the offer. That was just right after all final payments were due. The upsell thing worked for us because now we are hooked. Didn't want to take a risk of hoping for an upsell and not getting it! I would love to get a wonderful upsell offer from the AB to GV in May. Just a wishing!!!!

Maybe you TA misunderstood the offer the first time. I have always seen it quoted on the first two passengers in the cabin. No change for 3+

maybe...I was happy though and really enjoyed the cabin. I think that is where it would be nice if you could speak directly with NCL rather than going through the TA when working an upsell. From reading the boards, it seems that TAs are confused at times. Would the TA benefit from additional commissions from the upsell & is it worth their time? Some may think its like an upgrade and not want to deal with it?

Hi,

I was on the Jewel 11 day Canada to New England - I was offered (and took) an upsell to a Courtyard Yard Villa for 700/pp. It was my husband and I . Since I had an extra bedroom I added my sister for $651.93 .

It was more than 1400 for the 2 of us - with insurance upgrade was

$1520. Still a good price.

Hope this helps.

Nancy:)

maybe...I was happy though and really enjoyed the cabin. I think that is where it would be nice if you could speak directly with NCL rather than going through the TA when working an upsell. From reading the boards, it seems that TAs are confused at times. Would the TA benefit from additional commissions from the upsell & is it worth their time? Some may think its like an upgrade and not want to deal with it?

Once you book with a TA, that TA now "owns" your booking, and the cruise line can no longer deal directly with you. This is why the TA must be involved in the upsell process.

The TA does indeed gain additional commission dollars from your upsell, but you are correct in thinking that many do not undertand them. NCL is the only line I know of that does "Upsell" as opposed to upgrade. Consequently, many TA's (including my old one) haven't got the faintest idea how the program works. Sadly.

Archived