Galveston - post cruise

junker

We will be off the Conquest around 10:30am Sunday morning, but our flight out of Hobby is not until 7pm.

Any suggestions on what to do during our "layover"? We are a family of four, kids are 15 and 13.

Thanks

Junker

We will be off the Conquest around 10:30am Sunday morning, but our flight out of Hobby is not until 7pm.

Any suggestions on what to do during our "layover"? We are a family of four, kids are 15 and 13.

Thanks

Junker

I grew up and lived in Galveston most of my life.

Strand is right there by the ship. It is shopping, etc. Also you could visit the beach, but after a cruise to tropical places, Galveston beaches would look like dirty sand and chocolate milk as water. Moody Gardens is a "touristy" place. There is a Rain Forest, Aquarium, IMAX, etc. Up the road is NASA Space Center. Maybe not something you'd want to do if you were lugging bags around though. I will try to think of other things.

aggie182's suggestions are good (even if they are coming from an Aggie :p, kidding)

I was born and raised in Houston and I don't like Galveston all that much. The beaches are filthy, especially in comparison to the beaches you'll be visiting on the Conquest. I think the strand is a great suggestion. If you could get to Houston the Downtown Aquarium is neat, but that would be a hassle with luggage.

Have fun!

aggie182's suggestions are good (even if they are coming from an Aggie :p, kidding)

I was born and raised in Houston and I don't like Galveston all that much. The beaches are filthy, especially in comparison to the beaches you'll be visiting on the Conquest. I think the strand is a great suggestion. If you could get to Houston the Downtown Aquarium is neat, but that would be a hassle with luggage.

Have fun!

There is an Aquarium (owned by the same people if I'm thinking of the same one as you) in Kemah which is much closer than Houston. It is on the Kemah Boardwalk. There are lots of restaurants, shops, etc there. It's a nice area.

I would suggest going to the Kemah Boardwalk, as well. It's a really nice little area with good restaurants.

Good = expensive in my book!! :D None of the restaurants on the boardwalk are cheap anymore. Make sure you have your wallet.

(Oh the good ole days when my Daddy used to take us down to this dive restaurant called Pier 4 on a Sunday afternoon. We'd sit and eat peel n eat shrimp all afternoon watching the boats go by. . . )

Good = expensive in my book!! :D None of the restaurants on the boardwalk are cheap anymore. Make sure you have your wallet.

(Oh the good ole days when my Daddy used to take us down to this dive restaurant called Pier 4 on a Sunday afternoon. We'd sit and eat peel n eat shrimp all afternoon watching the boats go by. . . )

I used to do that at Peir 19 in Galveston when Hill's Restaurant was there.

If you want a good, cheap place in Galveston for seafood, try a place called "Shrimp 'n Stuff". It is a hole-in-the-wall local type place and they serve mostly fried seafood. It is GOOOOOD. It is on 39th and P.

We are in kind of the same boat (so to speak). We are debarking Elation at 8:00am on Feb 25th. Carnival is forcing us to stay over that night in Houston. We were pretty bummed about this until we found out that Galveston will be rocking that weekend for Mardi Gras. So we're taking the Carnival provided shuttle to our hotel in Houston, dropping our luggage off in the room, then renting a car and heading back to Galveston.

Do you think we'll have a hard time parking in Galveston at the height of the Mardi Gras celebration?

Kevin

Midge...what about Landry's? (N.O. family owned). I think their prices are in line with other restaurants, not 'cheap', but not expensive, either.

Kevin - Galveston....Mardi Gras? I didn't think any Texans except my transplated sister (we're from N.O.) even knew about Mardi Gras.:D BTW, she lives in Galveston, and has never mentioned any Mardi Gras celebrations to me. I don't doubt you - it's just a new one on me!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/06/10/48hours/main557909.shtml

http://kemahboardwalk.com/

http://www.landrysrestaurants.com/pages/news_events/published_news/04tm_704.htm

Sorry Cotton,Landry's is not NO Family owned.Its Houston based,and Tilman Fertitta,founder and CEO was born in Galveston :)

Having said that...

The majority of the restaurants in Galveston and Kemah are all owned by Tilman,and while they all have their own unique atmosphere and menu,most of the food taste the same,and are relatively equally priced..

Boardwalk is fun..A little out of the way as a direct shot to Houston airports..

To the OP..Will you have a car ?

Oh...And yes,Mardis Gras is huge here...Not as huge and (lewd) as No...But big....And I anticipate even bigger given NO's situation this year...

Sorry Cotton,Landry's is not NO Family owned.Its Houston based,and Tilman Fertitta,founder and CEO was born in Galveston :)

Hey, I always admit when I'm in error. You are right, and I am WRONG! There is a family of Landrys in N.O. who have several restaurants around S. LA, but they aren't called "Landry's Seafood". I have always assumed, incorrectly I see, that they owned all the Landry's. Mea culpa.

Oh...And yes,Mardis Gras is huge here...Not as huge and (lewd) as No...But big....And I anticipate even bigger given NO's situation this year...

....and I bet y'all have just as much fun with your Mardi Gras as we always have with ours....and on the Ms Coast....and Mobile (home of the original Mardi Gras). I will fuss at my sister for never having mentioned it to me.;)

According to this site it seems like Mardi Gras in Galveston is second only to New Orleans. At least that's what we're hoping :)

http://www.mardigrasgalveston.com/

Kevin

I've been to Mardi Gras most every year. It's pretty big. It's fun. I have been lucky enough to ride on floats in the Momus parade for 3 years. It is a blast. The crowds are unbelievable to most.

I would like to add that not only does Kemah have the Boardwalk, but there are all those little shops that you pass getting there. I've found some pretty cool stuff in those places. One of them sells different coffees & the one we really like is called Jamaican Me Crazy.....it's great!:D

Parrothead?

Is it weird that I've never been to the Kemah Boardwalk? The closest I've come to it is watching the stupid reporters out there during Rita while it was blowing in.

I know, it's probably weird that I'm a native Houstonian that has never made it down there.

Anyhow yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right aggie182 - I didn't realize it was that close.

What will they do with their luggage? I'm hoping y'all won't have to tote it with you. That would nothing short of suck.

Midge...what about Landry's? (N.O. family owned). I think their prices are in line with other restaurants, not 'cheap', but not expensive, either.

I love Landry's. But I don't think I have ever gotten out of there for under $100 for a family of 4. After you have a couple of cocktails, appetizer, and entrees all around, your bill is through the roof!!

I am planning for our April cruise, specifically my April 23rd "layover"

Lets see..ooo look this is going on that day

http://www.galveston.com/spiritofflight/

oh crude,just realized that was last years date...Its the following weekend this year :( sorry

. Ok...So still to cold to swim..That leaves out some fun at Moody garden..

While its a lot of fun,after a great cruise,I don't Know if its something that will interest that age kids...But heres the link.

http://www.galveston.com/moodygardens/ Also search this site for other things in Galveston..Some things we like to do in Galveston..

Tour the Tall Ship Elissa.Tour the Railroad museum.Tour the Oil Rig Museum.Tour the Bishops Palace and Ashton Villa...Both very old Historical Homes.Take a Carriage ride,or duck ride around the town...Shop the Strand..Eat at one of the restautants on the Sea Wall,and enjoy the beautiful view of the Gulf,or eat at one of the restaurants at the pier..and look at your ship sitting there..without you :p (and watch some Dolphins frolic)

You have the link already for Kemah... Maybe ride the Boardwalk Beast there...

the Astros play Pittsburg at 1pm...

Theres a cool puttputt/laser tag batting cage not far off your track,and close to JSC.

Theres a go gart place here in Dickinson.Theres an Adaquate mall Between Galveston and Hobby...

http://www.houstonkids.net/index.aspx

This link is good for some info,you will have to wait to find info for April.

This is going on that weekend http://www.ifest.org/ifest2006Interim/CountDownX3-F.htm

Hows that for starters:)

Thanks

Junker

First things first: Galveston water is no more dirty than any other area of the Gulf of Mexico. People that post that do not understand the rotation of water from the mouth of the Miss. river. The swirl effect, similar to what you see in the toilet deposits silt from all along the river in the water. All you need to do is look about ten miles east of the Miss and you will see green water. OK.. a rant, but stupid people piss me off...

If you have a vehicle then the stops mentioned are great diversions, with Moody Gardens being our favorite. You can buy a multi-attraction pass for a discount and enjoy some time there.

Kemah Boardwalk is great, and the drive will take you about 25 min North of Galveston. A group of places all owned by the Landrys chain occupy several acres and if the weather is good, this is a fun place.

Galveston has many local spots with great food, but after a a cruise is a full plate of food really what you want?

We like Benno's at 12th and the Seawall, and the Saltwater Grill on Postoffice St. The Mosquito Cafe is a very eclectic place, and the sandwiches and pasta are awesome.

For me, I'd head North and enjoy something closer to the airport.

We live about 35 miles from the dock, and I'd be glad to talk live about options you can visit or see. Flip me back a e-mail address I'll respond.

20 days until our ship sails for cruise number 14!

Lee in Houston.

Archived