Renting a car from the airport (?)

melodyina

Hello Cruise Fans, 

March 2020, I sure do hope the cruiselines are sailing.  We have a stop at Key West on a Wednesday, coming off the Celebrity Infinity.  I am thinking of renting a car for the day (9am-3pm) from a major car rental at the airport... ok.. i've reserved it already.   We are a couple in our 60's and just would like to see the road, beaches and parks.  Is there time to drive over 7 mile bridge?  Any advice for renting a car.  I"m assuming i'd need to take a taxi to the airport from the Pier as a 3 mile walk would kill me. 🙂 .  

Taxi to the airport - yes

Drive the 7 miles bridge - yes there's technically time, but it's about an hour each way in the best of conditions - which are uncommon. Being the only road in and out of the Keys, one accident anywhere can shut the whole thing down for a while.  You  have to go all the way back to yesterday, 7/13, for the last traffic problem which was an accident on the 7 mile bridge, fortunately it was only alternating traffic (I assume they closed down 1 lane) - you have to go back to last Tuesday for a full road closure due to an acident. Even without an accident, traffic can make the trip south very slow. Having made the drive from the mainland to Key West numerous times - and sat in traffic somewhere for most of them - I'd never risk it on a cruise stop.

• 3 weeks later...

Have to agree with CT Sean.   We often drive the Overseas Highway (between Florida City and Key West) and it is a very picturesque drive.  But keep in mind that is primarily a 2 lane highway where any accident or breakdown can result in an awful traffic jam or even road closure.  While a major delay is rare it does happen and there is no alternative route to get you back to KW.  

We often advise cruisers who are embarking or disembarking at a South Florida port to spend a few extra pre of post cruise days, rent a car, and make the drive down through the keys to Key West.  Key West is worthy of a 2-4 night stay for most folks and it will be a highlight of your trip.  And  by the way, while 7 mile bridge is well known it is only one section on an amazing drive.  Some of our favorite sections are actually further North.  

Hank