Five Stars***** For Native Way Tours!

Cruisemaiden

:) My DH and I pre-booked with Native Way for the RAYS, REEF and RUM POINT tour from the positive tips found on the forum...and we are really glad we did!!!

We arrived in Grand Caymen on the Costa Magica on February 3, at 9am. There was a gentlemen from Native Way in the port holding a sign for Native Way. We confirmed with him that we had arrived and did a bit of shopping in the port as the tour did not start until 10:30am. At exactly 10:30 we were guided to our van with approximately 20 other folks and headed to a small marina. At that point the small group was devided amongst two boats as others were going on a different excursion.

I think we had about 10 people on our boat maybe 12 so it was a very nice group, not too big. Our first stop was to STING RAY CITY and we had such a blast!!! I highly recommend if you do nothing else in Grand Caymen, GO SEE THE STING RAYS! We all got into the water and our captain and first mate explained how to handle and act while in the water, what an awe-inspiring experinece to actually hold one of the rays...some of them are huge!! There seemed to be quite a few rays around us all the time.. We also fed the rays, the water was quite rough when we were there so it made it hard for me to stand straight in the water on the sand bar as I am a short person...but no matter my DH helped me along. We spend about 1 hour or so in the water and there were alot of boats from other tours some had 150 or more people on them but it never felt really crowded as we stayed by and to the back of our boat.

Then our next stop was very short to the Barrier Reef for some snorkeling....it was pretty and the reef is shallow in alot of points, I have snorkeled in better areas but such as Buck Island and places on the Planacar Reef but it still was pretty.

After the snorkeling we then went to Rum Point for a wonderful lunch that was ready and waiting for us when we got there....my DH and I had the fish and chips and it was really yummy!!! The fish pieces were huge and plentiful and it was accompanied by french fries and then you can have water or iced tea I beleive. You could order drinks at a seperate cost but they are VERY EXPENSIVE!!! I believe a mixed drink was $8 in Caymen Dollars which would be about $9.50 in US dollars or there abouts so drink lightly! Then we layed around on the beach and relaxed...it really was very nice.

There was punch and water on the boat...nothing fancy but available and included in your tour price....

The one thing that impressed me the most was that when we were headed back and the end of the day, we quickly stopped at a sandbar and once of the tour guides jumped in the water to gather Conch Shells...you are only allowed to take aboard 5 of them...The great part is that were were offered to take one home! I decided to take a shell and they cleaned out the snail from it right on the spot and it is sitting here at home with me for a nice reminder of the trip!

The trip price of $60 per person is money well spent in my honest opinion, especially when you get a great lunch and conch shell included!!!

So...FIVE STARS and HATS OFF to you Native Way, my DH and I had a great time and would highly recommend you to anyone!

By the way....our the trip is from 10:30am to 3:45pm and our last tender was at 4:30...we made it back in plenty of time to catch our tender with NO PROBLEM MON! Just be sure to tell your guide what time your last tender is....they will make sure you get there on time as it is not in their best interest to have people missing boats!

Take this tour and have fun...you will be glad you did!

I had a question about the tour time. This is the second post that said the tour left at 10:30. Their website says the tour departs at 9 am. Why the discrepantcy? My ship departs at 4:30 and I assume the last tender would be no later than 3:45 or 4:00. Anyone know about this?

I had a question about the tour time. This is the second post that said the tour left at 10:30. Their website says the tour departs at 9 am. Why the discrepantcy? My ship departs at 4:30 and I assume the last tender would be no later than 3:45 or 4:00. Anyone know about this?

All I can tell you is that we left the port on our excursion at 10:30am EST and got back about 3:45 EST. There is no time difference as your ship should also be on EST also. Our excursion was not too long ago on February 3 so I cannot imagine anything has changed regarding time. IMHO, I would email Native Way and check on the time for the Ray, Reef and Rum Point excursion and give them the day you will be in port.

Thanks for the review! We are booked on this tour in March. It is the only non-ship tour we are booked on. I have heard so many good things about Native Way that I felt safe booking with them.

Glad you had a great time!

You will have a great time! If I ever go back to Grand Caymen I will definatly plan on going back out to see the sting rays...I would not hesitate to take the Native Way tour again. I am working on posting some pics of the tour right now so check back.

Archived