Viking Risk Free Guarantee

Sunlover48

Curious if anyone can give me your take on this temporary cancellation policy.  Friend and I have just booked Lyon and Provence for June 2022. Doing some research now to purchase trip insurance either from Viking or other, within our 2 weeks. My understanding from this Guarantee program is that you can cancel for any reason, prior of course,   to departure. I'm understanding that the only thing offered, at that time would be vouchers? Do you know if you purchased Viking Travel Protection and say 6 months before departure health deteriorated and were unable to travel. Would Viking Protection Plan provide any cash reimbursement? Just hoping someone out there feels fairly confident that they understand this insurance better than I; before I start asking Viking all my questions. Thanks so much for any input.

On 10/4/2020 at 12:20 PM, Sunlover48 said:

Curious if anyone can give me your take on this temporary cancellation policy.  Friend and I have just booked Lyon and Provence for June 2022. Doing some research now to purchase trip insurance either from Viking or other, within our 2 weeks. My understanding from this Guarantee program is that you can cancel for any reason, prior of course,   to departure. I'm understanding that the only thing offered, at that time would be vouchers? Do you know if you purchased Viking Travel Protection and say 6 months before departure health deteriorated and were unable to travel. Would Viking Protection Plan provide any cash reimbursement? Just hoping someone out there feels fairly confident that they understand this insurance better than I; before I start asking Viking all my questions. Thanks so much for any input.

I have just booked a cruise also and purchased the insurance.  Viking allows you to cancel for any reason.  However, to be reimbursed in cash, it must be for a "specified reason" listed in the Protection Plan document.  For any other reason, you will be reimbursed with a future travel voucher.  Via the insurance policy you only have 12 months to use the voucher, whereas in this temporary cancellation policy you have up to 24 months to use the voucher.  You can cancel up to 120 days (4 mos.) before your cruise date and get a complete cash refund except for a $100pp cancellation fee.  Also, if you have purchased the Viking travel insurance that is non-refundable after 14 days of booking.

Pooh

Thanks so much for your reply. Friend is thinking with the Viking Temporary Risk Free Guarantee we are covered completely prior to cruise for cancellation and that purchasing Protection Plan does not change anything. I still have more than a week and am still leaning towards buying Viking Insurance.

5 hours ago, Sunlover48 said:

Thanks so much for your reply. Friend is thinking with the Viking Temporary Risk Free Guarantee we are covered completely prior to cruise for cancellation and that purchasing Protection Plan does not change anything. I still have more than a week and am still leaning towards buying Viking Insurance.

Hi - I commiserate with your dilemma.

My concern is having insurance protection if during trip self and/or all ship's passengers get quarantined from Covid hotspot.  Expenses for 2 weeks isolation, air travel disruption, etc could be big $ problem.  I'm thinking 3rd-party insurers(and Viking's plan too) are probably getting 'technical' on limiting what Covid-releated issues like involuntary-quarantine are covered. So getting virus on trip or put under restriction post-embarkation is big uncertainty.

Agree, with what I believe may have been large losses for travel insurance companies over Covid, policies will put in more technicalities. Watching the horrendous situations people were in on cruise ships, I imagine there might be some tricky small print. Having to pay so far in advance now also adds to some questions, I believe.